The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The shifter made me spin :(

A few min ago I was reaching a hairpin turn at Grattan raceway while trying to downshift from from 4th to 3rd, but the downshift never happened, it locked up, so I am like trying and trying, in the middle of very tight hairpin I spun :'(

Time for MGW shifter I guess, anything else I need to install?
 
Don't be surprised if the MGW doesn't fix that.
 
I wonder what they do to the shifters, if anything, for the Track Attack cars? I was going from 3-4 and 4-3 all day, often running right up to redline and never a missed shift.
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
I had problems getting into 3rd on the red 25 '12 Boss at Track Attack 2 weeks ago, made me wish it had an MGW. I'm sure plenty of drivers have driven that car and never missed a shift. But I think the MGW helps cover up my lack of driving skills on my own car....

As far as "Don't be surprised if the MGW doesn't fix this" statement goes, IMHO that is a bit misleading. Is is a guaranteed 100% fix? Absolutely not. Did installing an MGW improve or eliminate missed shifts for the majority of those cars? From all I've read - yes. To be honest, upgrading even just the bracket would be a good start, or a Barton, Ford Racing, Steeda shifter would help as well, but there have been posters on this forum that have owned almost all the brands above and found the MGW superior. I can tell you that I've still managed to miss the 2-3 shift in my Boss after I installed the MGW, but instead of missing it 100% of the time at WOT, now it's maybe 1 in 5? I rarely get on the throttle that much, and am not power shifting it every day - although if I lived in Utah I might! ;D

Look on the bright side, if an MGW doesn't resolve your missed shift issue, you would have no problem selling it.
 
ace72ace said:
As far as "Don't be surprised if the MGW doesn't fix this" statement goes, IMHO that is a bit misleading. Is is a guaranteed 100% fix? Absolutely not. Did installing an MGW improve or eliminate missed shifts for the majority of those cars? From all I've read - yes.
He's talking about missing shifts while tracking his car and there are several of us with with the MGW shifter installed that still missed a lot of shifts while tracking their cars with the MGW. What fixed my shifting problems was a new twin disc McLeod clutch. How many track days do you have on your MGW?

While I have not been the biggest fan of the MGW, actually hated it at first, I've come to appreciate it and now with 6-7,000 miles on the shifter it feels significantly better and lighter than it did when it was new. On track it provides nice crisp shifts but that doesn't change the fact that it didn't solve my shifting problems.
 

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Like Rick's experience....the MGW has been a great upgrade but I still have problems at high rpm's. I just installed the Whiteline spacer and it has tightened things up. I truly believe there are several variables that add up to our shifting difficulties. I haven't replaced the clutch yet.....so can't comment on that...but I suspect it can only help.

Guess my rambling can be boiled down to.....it might take several upgrades to get one to a place where they're satisfied with the shifting with their MT 82. The remote shifter, clutch and helper spring in the clutch pedal all seem to impact shifting smoothness / performance at higher rpm's.

Good Luck,

Wayne
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
NFSBOSS said:
He's talking about missing shifts while tracking his car and there are several of us with with the MGW shifter installed that still missed a lot of shifts while tracking their cars with the MGW. What fixed my shifting problems was a new twin disc McLeod clutch. How many track days do you have on your MGW?

While I have not been the biggest fan of the MGW, actually hated it at first, I've come to appreciate it and now with 6-7,000 miles on the shifter it feels significantly better and lighter than it did when it was new. On track it provides nice crisp shifts but that doesn't change the fact that it didn't solve my shifting problems.

My track days with MGW = 0

Several of us = #?

MGW owners who have tracked their cars w/o probs = #?

I'm well aware of the high rpm shifting issues re: shifter & sticky clutch pedal issue. The missed shift issue is likely caused by multiple factors, not just the shifter.

If you think that my expressing my opinion about your 'don't be surprised' statement has zero merit and no value since I haven't tracked my Boss, so be it. But since my MGW install, the same 2 guys that test drove my car with the OEM unit and had 2-3 WOT lockouts, drove my car and neither experienced the lockout. This was specific to the 2-3 shift, and not a 4-3 downshift in the track. But when you think about it, the deflection in the drivetrain caused by engine torque not being sufficiently damped by the stock motor mounts, trans mounts, etc could be experienced on upshift or downshift.

I noticed that the pro drivers at BTA didn't seem to have any missed shifts even with the OEM unit, so maybe the missed shift issue is more biased toward the driver's technique?

Are all/any MGW owners experiencing 4-3 lockouts on the track?
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
The MGW cured my downshift issues on the track, until my clutch AND tranny grenaded. The stock shifter on the MT-82 is VERY inadequate for most track use just by its very design. The MGW is far superior in design. Does that design make up for the deficiencies in the clutch pedal, slave cylinder, clutch or tranny? Nope. Unfortunately for me and many other drivers, we did not get 302S/R components. And shifting issues come from many sources, including but not limited to the shifter itself.
 
ace72ace said:
My track days with MGW = 0

Several of us = #?

MGW owners who have tracked their cars w/o probs = #?

I'm well aware of the high rpm shifting issues re: shifter & sticky clutch pedal issue. The missed shift issue is likely caused by multiple factors, not just the shifter.

If you think that my expressing my opinion about your 'don't be surprised' statement has zero merit and no value since I haven't tracked my Boss, so be it. But since my MGW install, the same 2 guys that test drove my car with the OEM unit and had 2-3 WOT lockouts, drove my car and neither experienced the lockout. This was specific to the 2-3 shift, and not a 4-3 downshift in the track. But when you think about it, the deflection in the drivetrain caused by engine torque not being sufficiently damped by the stock motor mounts, trans mounts, etc could be experienced on upshift or downshift.

I noticed that the pro drivers at BTA didn't seem to have any missed shifts even with the OEM unit, so maybe the missed shift issue is more biased toward the driver's technique?

Are all/any MGW owners experiencing 4-3 lockouts on the track?
To be honest, I noticed no significant improvement with the MGW shifter. In fact, I wish I would have saved the money. It certainly seems like a higher quality shifter than the OEM unit, but I just personally didn't see any improvement in shifting. I really didn't have any shifting issues before or after the shifter change. The only times I've had shifting problems were when my 3 stock clutches let go. I finally gave up on it and went with an Exedy twin disc racing clutch.
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
Interesting that the MGW resolved your down shift issue at the track, sorry to hear about the failed clutch & tranny. As more and more drivers chime in with their personal experiences, I hope to learn what techniques/shifting patterns may help avoid missed shifts, with the stock unit or aftermarket (not just MGW).

It was a big stretch for me just to be able to purchase my'13 Boss, and there's simply no money in the family budget for me to get out to the track until next year. I don't mean to suggest that an MGW is the panacea for all shifting woes, it isn't...

Looking forward to the day when someone can produce a list of add ons/upgrades and driving techniques that can reduce practically every missed shift due to pilot error and not a shortcoming of a mechanical component or system.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
Interesting that the MGW resolved your down shift issue at the track, sorry to hear about the failed clutch & tranny. As more and more drivers chime in with their personal experiences, I hope to learn what techniques/shifting patterns may help avoid missed shifts, with the stock unit or aftermarket (not just MGW).

It was a big stretch for me just to be able to purchase my'13 Boss, and there's simply no money in the family budget for me to get out to the track until next year. I don't mean to suggest that an MGW is the panacea for all shifting woes, it isn't...

Looking forward to the day when someone can produce a list of add ons/upgrades and driving techniques that can reduce practically every missed shift due to pilot error and not a shortcoming of a mechanical component or system.
there is t56 xl will cure it. If it doesn't then the problem lies with the driver. Just my opinion.

Just as a mgw not making a difference in shifting especially on the 2-3 shift I find ridiculous claim. Again just my opinion. I don't "track" my car but I do drag race and shift at 8200 rpm.

Did any one mod cure the clutch sticking to the floor? Hard to say I think if I had skipped all the bs band aid fixes and went straight to a twin disc clutch without the assist spring coupled with bbr motor mounts and the mgw I would have been set.

Hind sight being 20/20 I wish I would have just saved all that money and swapped to a t56 xl.

Side note my 65 year old step dad had issues finding gears in my car with the mgw. Then again he can't drive for piss....
 
I was experiencing the WOT 2nd gear lockout (drag strip). I have the MGW, which solved the 2-3. Did some research and found on one of the Shelby Forums the issues of 2nd gear lock-out and a product from CHE Performance.

I called and spoke to the owner and designer Chuck. Real knowledgeable about our MT-82 Tranny's. He developed the K Member Brace with V8 Engine Torque Limiters because of the design of the shifter and the MT's. The shifter is remote mounted and under heavy load the geometry can change, resulting in 1-2 lockouts for drag racing or 4-3 lockout for road course.

I had the competition unit installed and could tell an immediate difference. No 1-2 lockout @ WOT since. Also added the Whiteline Tranny Bushing and it made it even better.

Check it out:

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm
 
I wish the MGW fixed my shifting problems but it didn't. There are too many variables here to say one thing fixes all the issues hence my original comment:

"Don't be surprised if the MGW doesn't fix that. " Note I didn't say it wouldn't or couldn't.

Even my twin disc McLeod clutch didn't fix my clutch pedal sticking to the floor. I had to remove the clutch assist spring to fix that.

And don't get me started on the SS clutch line. ;)
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top