The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailer winch recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I was wondering how you were going to use a hitchplate mounted winch and have the trailer mounted. You could simplify the hitch and load the car without the trailer being connected to the truck. Just chock the wheels and put a jack stand under the tail of the trailer to keep it from tipping with weight on it. Also if you’re going to be putting the winch on and off the truck you may want something smaller and lighter.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I was wondering how you were going to use a hitchplate mounted winch and have the trailer mounted. You could simplify the hitch and load the car without the trailer being connected to the truck. Just chock the wheels and put a jack stand under the tail of the trailer to keep it from tipping with weight on it. Also if you’re going to be putting the winch on and off the truck you may want something smaller and lighter.
I initially was going to mount it to a plate that they offer but figured the hitch receiver attachment is easier than a plate that involves measuring and drilling.
IMG_4838.png

the winch is 20 pounds and in a weekend I only see myself using it twice: to load to go to the track and then to come home. After that it goes in storage until my next track day which could be a few weeks to over a month. The HF mount has handles so it helps with lifting. I don’t see size and weight being a concern. If it was the 12000 pound winch then definitely something to consider

Since we're talking trailers, I wonder if there is a market for hauling cars in the southeast?. I did this for a dragster guy once. Pick up the car, go to the track, set everything up, gas, tires, oil. The guy meets me at the track, then I take it home, if he breaks, I drop the car off at the shop in Tennessee.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would imagine there are folks in your area who would appreciate someone driving their vehicle to the track , picking them up at the airport, and then driving their rig back home due to work schedules. I know a few guys who do this in the Midwest , but more common it is a second friend or paid helper who goes along to prep and maintain the car for the driver. With all your skill and experience I would believe you would have not trouble doing either.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Gilbert SC
I would imagine there are folks in your area who would appreciate someone driving their vehicle to the track , picking them up at the airport, and then driving their rig back home due to work schedules. I know a few guys who do this in the Midwest , but more common it is a second friend or paid helper who goes along to prep and maintain the car for the driver. With all your skill and experience I would believe you would have not trouble doing either.
My sister dated a guy that raced a vintage racecar series. He paid someone to haul his car and be the mechanic / pit crew for the weekend. He would just fly in uber to hotel and his guy would pick him up there. For someone with plenty of disposal money it seams like the way to go.

Bay Area
Still share for a future reader
I’ll have to take pics but I’ll describe it.

I took the winch mount and drilled two holes on the receiver that has 8 holes in it. Then mounted the winch plate to that. You can weld the plate to the receiver for extra security and call it a day for 35 bucks, plus welder fees if you go that route. The mounts for my 2500 lb winch worked so I am confident in this set up I’ll post a pic of it fabbed up and mounted on my trailer later.

Bay Area
Pics as promised. One is welded and offset for my 2500lb winch. The new winch wouldn't mount on it. I bought a new hitch mount. Centered the winch plate and botled it up. I'm sure it will hold up. If not I'll get it welded. The only reason I didn't go with a HF winch is because I couldn't get the wireless remote winch in the size I wanted and wasn't going to spend more on a remote.

20240301_165456.jpg

20240301_165453.jpg

20240301_165430.jpg

20240301_165420.jpg

20240301_165406.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors