The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transformation of Sweet Lorraine Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quarter window louvers were sold
Tyme, I can understand why you you decided to lose the side scoops and GT decklid, but why the window louvers?..For more sight out the back? Great choice to upgrade the rear spoiler!!..I liked the spoiler on my '04 GT better than the one on my Boss. My dealer never offered me any additional options...just took my money and sent me on my way.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for clearing up the changes Tyme, as I thought I was losing my mind ( I know you will respond to that, ha) because I did not remember many of your cosmetic upgrades. I can confirm, Slayer does take very good care of his Boss.............she is definitely sweet!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
For that first Christmas, my lovely wife found someone who could take a chrome mustang emblem and paint the US flag on it and it was under the tree.
003a.JPG

I really liked it and it got me thinking. Although my Boss was Blue and White, why not add a splash of Red and go for the US Flag. So to support our fighting men, I ordered a Colorado plate with the flag waving over the Rocky Mountains. Put it on a Craig's no-drill mount and trimmed it up with a Chrome Boss 302 plate frame which I would later retire and replace with a black Boss 302 plate frame of similar design.
Exterior Body (33).JPG

Now what to do with the Pony emblem my wife gave me. I had heard on these forums of people replacing their top grills with FRPP ones or they were modifying theirs by drilling out the area inside the faux fog lamps. That wouldn't work for me as I really wanted to add this Special Mustang Emblen to the car so I ended up going with the Roush seven billet upper grill (404473) and because it wouldn't work with the Boss surround, I had to get the GT version (AR3Z-8419-AA). It all fit together nicely and too this day folks comment on the unique look.
003.JPG

I got the TracKey flashed at the dealer in January of the new year and ordered the 3/4" restrictor plate from what was at the tyme BMO. I loved the bigger opening but it wasn't long before I removed them completely.

Since at the tyme I was really just looking at a show car, I thought my modding was pretty much complete. I was really digging the way my Boss looked but I'll be dammed if these Forums didn't change the ways of my modest thinking.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I indeed now track it more than show but it took some tyme to get to that point.

For six months I did nothing else with the Boss but cruise and show it off at two local mustang shows. It felt so good to be behind the wheel of a beast and I even got her up to 120 MPH on an to be unnamed local toll road. It really got my blood flowing. I had decided to sign up for the Free Track Attack at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah that Ford offered for the owners and paid for a second day in a FR500S. But I hurt my left ankle and had to cancel. The folks running the event were kind enough to allow me to cancel and although your were suppose to have taken advantage of this in the first year of ownership, I ended up going after almost two years.

It seemed everyone on the two Mustang forums I was reading was talking about reducing blow-by and recommended an Oil Separator. I just had to have one too, I thought and went with the JLT one in black for the passenger side (JLTOSP-FMG11-B). It was an easy install and while I was at it I decided to remove the sound tube with a Cooltech delete kit (BS11CTSPD). The JLT was used for two years before it would be sold and replaced by something better.
Engine Bay (18).JPG

One member of these forums offered a nice looking billet sound tube delete cap and I bought one, painted it black and threw it on. It looked so much more finished than the vinyl cap that came with Cooltech's kit.
Engine Bay (24).JPG

Even this didn't last as I eventually changed my entire CAI system.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Because I wasn't tracking the car, I rarely experienced any lockout but the MGW short shifter (MT-82 SHORT THROW) was all the rage on these forums. Well I did feel a bit of notchiness, I figured what the heck and ordered one from George. I watched the video and learned a lot about installing this on these forums and figured I'd do this myself. Now I'm not a wrench monkey but I do think mechanically and am a classic "Learn by Trial and Error" type of guy. I rental a DIY bay with a lift and tackled the job and felt pretty damn proud of myself when finished.
Drivetrain (2).JPG

I was amazed at how well the car now shifted. It was beautiful. I threw on a SpeedDawg blue and white Boss 302 shift knob (SK508B302-FM) to add some flair.
Drivetrain (6).JPG

And to finish up the shifter project I threw on a Scott Drake Carbon Fiber Pattern Shift Boot (AR3Z-7277-CF).
013a.JPG

The expenditures for Sweet Lorraine were starting to accelerate. People talk about black holes and money pits which were words my wife started using with much more frequency.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Your too kind Mr. Bill - Not sure about tasteful but certainly to my liking. As this build goes forward, you'll notice how I've bought many things and after a while, my taste or in some cases because of my performance needs, I've retired or replaced these items. Many have been sold but all OEM parts were kept and I've even bought many OEM spares parts that I didn't need.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
When you were at the Mustang Roundup I noticed your grill and admired it , but with everything going on I forgot to ask you how it came about. Neat to find out the story, and I sure understand the little touches we put on our Bosses...even a race car needs a few little glitz somewhere, imho.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
More glitz soon followed.

I added a TymeSlayer third brake light decal -
Exterior Body (59).JPG

And then a Blue Boss 302 Faux Gas Cap Center from EmblemPros to replace the three bar pony -
Exterior Body (457).JPG

The third Brake Light decal made it a few years before it's started coming off from washing the car and was later removed.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Not too sure why rather than the fact I could, I decided it was tyme to upgrade the sound system inside the Boss. So I found that Metra's dash kit (99-5823CH) color matched the OEM unit and worked with the Pioneer 7" Touchscreen In Dash Receiver with GPS (AVIC-Z140BH) I bought. New Pioneer 6x8 Two Way 260 Watt Speakers (TSD6802R) were needed to replace the Chinese ones Ford put in and a nice little Metra Axxess Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (ASWC) was needed to keep the steering wheel controls.
005.JPG

This install was pretty straight forward but the biggest pain in the ass was getting those rear deck speakers in. There just no room back there to work but I was persistent and got the job done.
005b.JPG

This entire mod was about a fiddy cuss job because of the scrapes and tight spaces involved. In the end she came out perfect.
005a.JPG

I also threw in a Pioneer AV iPod/Ipad Cable (CD-IU51V) that truthfully I'm not sure why other than it made sense to do it while the console was apart. I have yet to use it to this day. The nice this about this Metra unit was the top customizable screen. You could change the color and letting to suit use needs. It's a pain in the ass every tyme you disconnect the battery and have to reset the screen. The entry part on this screen is not user friendly.
005c.JPG

Tyme, When you Mod your Boss as much as you like, you show how much you adore your "Sweet Lorraine"!!!Enjoy her as long as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I'm sure you will!!!BTW....I love that pony your wife Britt gave you....tell her your a lucky guy from me..;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel