The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transformation of Sweet Lorraine Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Up to this point most of the mods done were cosmetic. That would change when I found an old member on this forum @VTBoss302 who was selling his old DriveShaft Shop one piece aluminum drive shaft (FDSH22-A-CV1) and I got a great deal on it. I was sold on the virtues of it being lighter than the OEM and bought it. I tackled the job at my local DIY shop and on she went. This is the one that gave me some issues later in life while driving to the Mustang 50th in Las Vegas in 2014 and cost me two tracks days. I will say that the folks at DSS were great and fixed the shaft for free despite the fact I didn't buy it from them and it was out of warranty.
Drivetrain (7).jpg

I followed that up with would start my affair with BMR products as I added their front driveshaft safety loop (DSL017). After all, I, no great mechanic installed this myself and well, one can never be safe enough. I went with red as I was trying to build more US flag into Sweet Lorraine. Yeah, I know, you couldn't see it unless you were under the car.
Drivetrain (10).jpg

I really loved doing these two mods and found myself getting quite intimate with Sweet Lorraine. My wife was starting to worry about all the tyme I was spending with my car.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Last one for today as I've been away from home for awhile and family tyme is in order. Of course there still sleeping and that's why I post early in the morning.

Seems everyone was putting in the brake duct kit that came with the LS Boss 302s and why not me?
I found the FRPP kit (M-2004-MB) on Amazon and bought it. I tackled this job too but this tyme while crawling under the car at home. It went quite well until routing the passenger side hose and trying to get it around the washer fluid tank. I was so frustrated, I just removed the tank and actually drove around for several months without it. I wasn't going to be driving it in the rain or bad weather anyways. But I took a look at it again and whatever prevented me from getting around the tank the first tyme around disappeared.
016.JPG
Brakes and Rotors (6).JPG

I custom built some caps to cover the opening that could easily be added or removed in seconds.
Brakes and Rotors (12).JPG

And now with the washer fluid tank issue resolved, I put on the Roush cap (421256) I had bought earlier.
Engine Bay (72).JPG

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Next on my list was modest in cost and installation. I found a blue anodized oil stick and replace the old yellow ring that just didn't look right to me.
Custom - Blue Billet Oil Dipstick Handle - 41250.JPG

I really read up on axle backs and settled on the sweet sound of Borlas ATAK (11791) I never liked the look of being able to see the silver cans before so I painted then both in high heat black but left the tips in a high polished chrome. Wow, what a difference in sound.
Exhaust System (8).JPG
Exhaust System (13).JPG
Exhaust System (18).JPG

Now tyme to get Sweet Lorraine breathing better and I went with the AiRaid Parnelli Jones Carbon Fiber kit (453-174) with a Venturi tube so no tune needed. I'm still a big fan of the red key.
Engine Bay (37).JPG

While I was at it, my old pal Dave - @302 Hi Pro found us a great price at a Ford dealer in Florida for a FRPP 84.5MM throttle body (M-9926-M50845) which I also painted black before installing along with a 4" to 4" Silicone Intercooler Coupler.
Engine Bay (58).JPG
Engine Bay (60).JPG

I bought a Moroso aluminum coolant overflow tank and painted in in high heat flat black paint.
Engine Bay (47).JPG

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
In September of 2013 - I finally made it to Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah for the Boss Track Attack. I did not drive my mustang but instead drove my Mountaineer. First day in a Kona Blue Boss 302 and a second day in a FR500S. Instructions, Skid Car and one frustrated instructor who just couldn't get me to learn the finer aspects of heel-toe. Nonetheless, I found myself hooked in a big way. The adrenaline rush was amazing.
BTA 9 2013 (492).JPG
BTA 9 2013 (125).JPG

Here's the FR500S I rode on day two. I was amazed that after day one, they let me out in this beast without an instructor.
BTA 9 2013 (511).JPG

The point of showing this is once I got back home I was determined to modify my car even more. But now I was looking to get Sweet Lorraine to perform better on the track. I hooked up with some guys at NASA and started to chart out the beginning of an HPDE trek.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Let's tighten up that shifter with a Whiteline gearbox insert (KDT928)
Whiteline Gear Box Insert - KDT928.JPG

A Shelby Transmission Scoop Cooler (S5M-5025-UMT) which I later sold because it wouldn't fit with future mods.
Drivetrain (12).JPG

A new FRPP stainless steel brake/clutch line upgrade (M-7512-A)
Drivetrain (11).JPG

And I just had to lower the car with some Ford Racing "T" Lowering Springs. I really like the new stance it gave Sweet Lorraine.
Suspension (18).JPG

The other thing I started doing was buying up spare parts on these forums. Car Covers, Trim Panels, driveshafts (Long Story) and just about anything I could get a good deal on. It's good that I have a mostly unfinished 2500 SF basement.

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
New parts and take-offs. If something were to happen to me my wife wouldn't know what to do with it all.

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I wasn't done blinging the car either but my mods did start to change as I starting thinking more about tracking the car and showing it less.

I added CPC NXT Battery and Master Cylinder covers (ENG-058-609) to clean up the look in the engine bay. A like a familiar refrain, these too would be removed in favor of some carbon fiber ones later on.
Engine Bay (35).JPG

I dressed up the trunk with a Ford Racing Cargo Area Protector (AR3Z-6111600-AA)
Ford Mustang Cargo Protector - AR3Z-6111600-AA.JPG

And took out the carpeting on the inside of the rear deck and put in a Covercraft Pocket Pod (TO1030CH)
Covercraft Pocket Pod - TO1030CH.JPG

I swore to myself I was done putting lipstick on her and to think more about getting ready for HPDE with NASA.

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I really enjoyed working with the folks over at BMR. I told them my skill level and what I was looking for and they helped me transform my suspension. I already had their red front driveshaft safety loop and added the following items.

Lower Control Arms (ACA004)
BMR - Lower Control Arms - ACA004.JPG

Control Arm Relocation Brackets (CAB005R)
BMR - LCA Relocation Brackets - CAB005R.JPG

And an adjustable Panhard bar (PHR006R) that would be sold as I went with a Watts Link later on in the transformation.
Suspension (2).JPG

I really like how the back end started feeling. No more wheel hop.

Suspension (16).jpg
Suspension (22).JPG

Bay Area
In September of 2013 - I finally made it to Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah for the Boss Track Attack. I did not drive my mustang but instead drove my Mountaineer. First day in a Kona Blue Boss 302 and a second day in a FR500S. Instructions, Skid Car and one frustrated instructor who just couldn't get me to learn the finer aspects of heel-toe. Nonetheless, I found myself hooked in a big way. The adrenaline rush was amazing.
View attachment 6475
View attachment 6476

Here's the FR500S I rode on day two. I was amazed that after day one, they let me out in this beast without an instructor.
View attachment 6477

The point of showing this is once I got back home I was determined to modify my car even more. But now I was looking to get Sweet Lorraine to perform better on the track. I hooked up with some guys at NASA and started to chart out the beginning of an HPDE trek.

I was there in OCT, I wonder if any of those folks are on TMO

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Tyme for new shoes for my gal. I spent over a month looking at wheels with the goal of going bigger and lighter. Was never a huge fan of those shiny black wagon wheel spokes and decided matte black would look great with the Kona Blue. I choose to stay staggered with the Forgestar CF5V in 19x9 and a bit bigger 19x10 in the rear. Took about 8 weeks to get them through Howey Industries but well worth the wait. I also saved a total of 43 pounds of rotational mass.
Tires and Wheels (14).JPG

At the tyme I was thinking more street than track and settled for some Mickey Thompson Street Comps 255/40ZR19 and 285/35ZR19. I really liked these tires and tracked them twice and auto-x on them once. They were horrible in the cold and let's not even talk about wet. Not a good track tire but okay for my beginner's skill level. I still have this set and use it mostly for the one tyme I auto-x a year.
Tires and Wheels (16).JPG

Next I replaced all the rotors. No drilled for this boy. I worked with the KNS (A TMO Sponsor) and decided on the DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 Series Rotors (Front DBA42124S & Rear DBA42114S)
Brakes and Rotors (52).JPG

While I was at it, I threw on some Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads and Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines (GR12364) also from KNS Brakes.
Brakes and Rotors (57).JPG

I had done a lot to this Boss in the first fifteen months but things were still evolving. I had over 57K invested in the car and I was definitely starting to get the car more track ready. I would still throw in a few cosmetic changes along the way but my mind was thinking performance.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I showed my true lack of skill with my next mod. My pea brain was looking at the quarter window louvers I had the dealer put on and thought the way they were designed they would grab air and make Sweet Lorraine slower. I had seen these flush mount louvers (S297-300P) from Silver Horse Racing and liked the way they looked. They even had the option to paint them Kona Blue so I ordered them.
USED - SHR Flush Quarter Window Louvers - S297-300.JPG

Oh hell, I had no auto glass experience whatsoever but I could surely do this install. But I lived up to my reputation of being a JOATMON. I bought the tools needed and I proceeded to tear into the quarter windows.
Exterior Body (175).JPG

Getting the glass out wasn't so bad. Even cleaning up around the frame was easy.
Exterior Body (177).JPG

But alas, for the life of me, I could not get the SHR flush mount louvers to sit "Flush". They seemed to be bowed and I did everything I could think of to try and get them to sit right. I even called SHR and they politely assured me it was operator error and not their product. I'm sure they were right.
Exterior Body (178).JPG

I now have experience in removing and installing these quarter windows as I pulled them out and put the glass back on. These beautifully painted Kona Blue flush mount louvers now live in my basement in the comfy cardboard box they came to me in.

TMO Supporting Vendors