The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transformation of Sweet Lorraine Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Got a great deal on a set of Forgestar F14s 18x10 all around in gunmetal with the intent of using them for the track. Never got around to mounting any rubber on these as I ended up going down the APEX path at some point/ But I got such a good price on these that I sold them about 10 months later and made a profit. Not that common when you deal in parts.
Tires and Wheels (56).JPG

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good deal, let's see that means:
1. Profit on rims $300
2. Mods to Low rain -$50,000
3. Cool, youv'e only spent $49,700 in upgrades!
4. Fun dressing up your Kona Babe ---priceless!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The transformation continues...

I removed the bulkier BFR front tow hook kit, sold it and put on the Next Gen version (TOW-10-500). I was becoming quite the pro at removing the front bumper of the car. This was a pretty simple mod I liked the splitter strut mount plate better than the FRPP one I bought and sold for the LS type chin spoiler.
BFR - Front Tow Hook Kit - TOW-10-500.JPGFront Bumper (180).JPG

About a year or so later my good friends came out with a front tow hook license plate mount which came in handy on the street since Colorado requires a front plate. I am glad I got it but to be honest, I've only used it twice on my way to the Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-Up in Steamboat Springs. Still, it is easy on, easy off.
Front Bumper (195).JPG

Because of the carbon fiber battery and master cylinder covers interfered with the older Roush hood struts, off the came and I used the slimmer Redline tuning elite version (21-11024-0)
Redline - Hood Struts.JPG

Attachments

• BFR Tow Hook License Plate Holder - TOW-02-200 and TOW-02-300.JPG
    BFR Tow Hook License Plate Holder - TOW-02-200 and TOW-02-300.JPG
    460.9 KB · Views: 48

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
In my continuing efforts to make like a LS - I purchased and installed the FRPP LS Dash Gauge Pack (M-6304-GPACK-MA). Getting past cutting the dash was difficult to get passed.
Interior (116).JPG
FRPP LS Dash Gauge Kit.JPG

I should have ordered the car with it but since I didn't I bought and installed the FRPP Racing Torsen 8.8 Differential (M-4204-MB)
FRPP - Torsen Differential.JPG

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I had been looking to get a six point harness in the car but first I needed to find some Recaro seats for my Boss. I finally found a set for sale on the east coast and had my brother pick them up and ship them to me. The picture below shows a comparison to the two.
Interior (154).JPG

I got CoolTech Seat Belt Harness Clip Set (BSCR122CLIP), a Corbeau Seat Belt Harness Bar (HB0508M) and custom (06mach1) Sub Belt Bar from @docs302 here on TMO. I like using this set-up at the track but I had a Watson four point roll bar on my wish list and the harness bar would be removed and sold in the future.
Custom Sub Belt Bar.JPG
Corbeau Harness Bar - HB0508M.JPG

A CoolTech (Crow) 3" 6-pt Harness Kit (BSCR121SEAT) would complete the mod for now.
CoolTech Crow 6 Point Harness Belts - BSCR121SEAT.JPG

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Now to cool the oil. Purchased a CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler (BSCT12OCTHM) and tackled the job.
Engine Bay (270).JPG

Took me two full days but that's because slow and steady is my MO and I did the work on jack stands in my garage.
Engine Bay (294).JPG
Engine Bay (306).JPG
Engine Bay (309).JPG

That oil you see is not a leak but something I hadn't wipe off from the install process.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Some folks found the standard seats comfortable and the Recaros restraining.
Tyme, the Recaro's may be a little more supportive for your purpose, but I couldn't justify the added cost, especially with the ADM the dealer threw at me....I'm happy with the standard Boss seats..........

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I got in on the APEX group buy last year and bought some Apex EC-7 ET-52 Black Satin Wheels 19 x 11 - Not only are these lightweight but they look great on Sweet Lorraine. While I was at it we threw on some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 305/30-19 rubber. What a huge difference at the track with these tires. Damn good grip which helped build my confidence.
Tires and Wheels (124).JPG

Needed Optimum Performance 25MM Hub Centric Front Wheel Spacers which gave me about 6MM clearance.
Tires and Wheels (121).JPG

A side by side comparison of the Forgestars with MTs and the Apex with Michelin PS4S
Tires and Wheels (136).JPG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
......that is why he drives at the speed of light and orbits the track so quickly.

But the coolest part about this thread is realizing Slayer took pictures over all the entire build process - not sure many would have done such a thorough documentation. Plus , as you know , I have been called a bit of an Astronut, myself, ha!

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Getting that Space Cadet Glow while driving with Bill:

"So ya
Thought ya
Might like to go to the show
To feel the warm thrill of confusion
That space cadet glow
Tell me is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you want to find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise"

Courtesy of Pink Floyd

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel