The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transformation of Sweet Lorraine Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I am tall and like a bit of recline when driving...does the Watson roll bar allow full seat travel back with a bit of recline?

It does a little. I had another member come over who was quite tall to try it out and it was a bit tight. @cholmes1 can better answer this and I don't recall his actual height but at least 6'6", maybe taller. (I'm 5'11") He had me do a few measurements, perhaps these may help:

I pushed the seat back as far as I could and left the seat back at about a 75-80 degree angle.
The dash to the seat logo was 37"
The lower dash to the seat was 13-1/2"
Headliner to the seat bottom was 39"
From the seat belt holder to the front edge of the seat is approx 30"

Hi Tyme,

I look forward to seeing Sweet Lorraine in Steamboat with all the new toys. At 6’9 the fit for me was very tight and not possible. That said it was a hasty fit test that was my fault. Despite having Tyme’s blessings I did not really try to adjust the seat vertically or much for tilt. I will try again in Steamboat to see what’s possible. The WR 4pt cage will definitely happen in mine but it may require small cuts to fit my seat at the position needed. Sadly, tall people were meant to fit into race cars

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I wonder if there's something out there that could lower the seat?

See you in Steamboat in three weeks. I'll be there six days so you can try it out again all you like.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sweet Lorraine will never stop being Accessorized, as all of TMO's sponsors keep coming up with cool new products. As a good friend of the Slayer , it is also my duty and others to point out fun stuff so he can continue to dress up his 4 wheeled lady! What is neat about his Blue By You Beauty is it wins at the track and will win at a Car Show!?

Have fun in Steamboat, Tyme, slay your competitors!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The Watson steering wheel mount won't work on the OEM wheel. It looks like it's meant for a race wheel only unless I'm doing something wrong.

I ended up mounting the AiM Solo magnetic mount on the vent with double sided 3M tape.
thumbnail_Image-270.png

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image-270.png
    thumbnail_Image-270.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 88

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
The Watson steering wheel mount won't work on the OEM wheel. It looks like it's meant for a race wheel only unless I'm doing something wrong.

I ended up mounting the AiM Solo magnetic mount on the vent with double sided 3M tape.

Did you attempt to cut/remove the plastic housing around the OEM wheel for fitment? They are intended for racing wheels, but I would imagine you should be able to cut or remove the plastic steering wheel housing (upper and lower portions) and then modify the bracket to work with the OEM wheel. Your alternative install is very clean, but just a thought...

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The info I was able to find actually showed the Watson mount screwed onto that housing but it also showed it with a racing wheel. I'm not sure I'm ready to go down that road yet. So for now, this set up will work. I will run the cable under the steering wheel to the OBDII port and secure it with clips and ties.
Did you attempt to cut/remove the plastic housing around the OEM wheel for fitment? They are intended for racing wheels, but I would imagine you should be able to cut or remove the plastic steering wheel housing (upper and lower portions) and then modify the bracket to work with the OEM wheel. Your alternative install is very clean, but just a thought...
WR-AIMBRKT-3.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, no............ Tyme won't cut on Sweet Lorraine , she is always dressed in her finery , showing off her accessories, so his solution to the AIM gauge is perfect.

Calm down Slayer , he didn't mean to suggest you might make a mark on your beauty?!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
She's about to get a long, hard CF driveshaft too. But don't get any ideas, she's no hussy and quite monogamous.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I meant Tyme is just so fussy .....must have been a typo, ha.

But save your money on the CF driveshaft , BS1 and I think they are not in the best interest of Trackrats!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I already have it but haven't put it in yet. It's brand new and I got it almost half the price of retail. I am now the proud owner of four driveshafts for Sweet Lorraine. Two OEM two piece, and one each of the DSS Aluminum and this DSS CF one. It's not a matter of if I put it on but rather when. If I don't like it, I have plenty of fall back options.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well , dang , I need to make sure I go to all the track events you go to, because if I ever need a driveshaft for some bizarre reason, sounds like you could be my back up parts depot , again, ha,ha!!??

TMO Supporting Vendors