The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Upside Down and on the Wrong Side Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
I had to get the racersmps even for my futura.
When I checked the clearance at the front I was glad I didn't have a splitter, then again I wouldn't be able to get to the garage with my stupid steep driveway. Would need a removable one either way. Need a lotto win for a property with a big shed, hoist and flat ground.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
When i was looking at trailers i did look at Futura but then a lack of clearance and also need of carting ramps and lack of storage for items, i ended up going with Nevco trailer which has it all and also has suspension which allows for a better ride.trailer.jpg20220823_203805.jpg20220823_204500.jpg20220922_151838.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
As amazing as i'm finding the GT350 brakes on the GT, every little bit to help it survive is of interest. Another speedy delivery and a quick install.
2023-09-10 16.34.33.jpg2023-09-06 17.28.45.jpg
While we were in there........
2 track days worth of wear, admittedly they were stock pads and did an amazing job on a short stop start track.
2023-09-10 17.06.23.jpg
@KNSBRAKES getting me something more appropriate for track abuse. Who would have thought there would be nothing to be found in Australia for a Caliper used on one model that was never delivered here. Oh the joys.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Its been sitting at home for a while, found time and some nice weather to do the install.
2023-09-04 21.03.29.jpg
Learn from my experience. Do this before the roll cage install. Had to pull the rear stays out and flex the rear seat delete shelf out of the way. Oh, and use up as much fuel as possible before hand. Fuel pump enabled to drain the tank. Also allowed me to check the fuel pressure at the pump as i'd have to set it on the new regulator. It's a damn tight fit but it does go in. The only issue i have with the install is the fuel outlet faces 90 degrees from the factory setup. It should be facing directly through where the regulator sits. Thankfully the line is flexible enough to sit high and loop over the top of the unit. Actually there was one other annoyance, a bloody imperial allen key for the fuel pressure adjustment. Bloody freedom units at quarter to midnight was the last straw and i finished it off the next day.
2023-09-14 20.39.20.jpg377144493_1460426421197063_2490071680547532241_n (1).jpg
Finally took it for a quick blast down the freeway tonight and it works fine and didn't burst into flames. When i get the fresh brake pads i can give it a proper shake down on the track.
Funny part about this unit, friend has a 370Z which suffers the same issue with saddle tank syndrome and has the similar unit for his car but hasn't installed it yet. Guess who had to be rescued from the freeway after a blast around the wrong direction on ramp and no fuel getting to the pump. Here is to running lower fuel loads at the track, fingers crossed.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
what are these pig tail loops you have there for?
View attachment 90050
Thats to manually turn the pump on with ignition to drain the tank. Unplug it from the control module and bridge the outer larger wires that are switched via the control module and the pump will run continuously. I had half a tank and when checking some videos they said fuel would go everywhere with anything above a quarter. I just drained it completely via the pump and it was a pretty clean job. Dont forget to clean the locking ring of all the dirt first so it doesn't end up in the tank.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Pagid RSL29's installed all the way from @KNSBRAKES in the USA. Thanks for the great service and replies to emails.
One track day in and punished them like normal, held up amazingly. No noticeable wear, should have measured them first but the stock pads only did 2 days before i wasn't happy to do a 3rd on them. Have run Pagid's on my other car and glad i revised my choice and bit the bullet and went the very expensive option by the time they landed here in Australia with conversion rates and import duty.
2024-01-08 12.23.37.jpg2024-01-28 09.44.01.jpg2024-01-28 09.44.13.jpg

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Went through all your topic, and stopped on that one pic with the 944 project car next to it :p

My wife has been building a 944T track car for a few years now... love / hate relationship with that thing. Super cool car, great weight distribution, but man the german engineering is getting on my nerves! They never heard the word "simple" ...

Nice Mustang build, the right stuff where it matters :)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Went through all your topic, and stopped on that one pic with the 944 project car next to it :p

My wife has been building a 944T track car for a few years now... love / hate relationship with that thing. Super cool car, great weight distribution, but man the german engineering is getting on my nerves! They never heard the word "simple" ...

Nice Mustang build, the right stuff where it matters :)
Thanks, concentrating on anything and everything to make it survive a good track day thrashing. GT500 sump and engine oil cooler are last item i'm waiting on to arrive.

2021-08-17 20.32.02.jpg
Will get my 944 back up and running, unfortunately 40 plus year old wiring started to become a problem. Haltech Nexus to go in when i have time, the mustang was a toy for the in between time. It may have gone beyond that. 🤣
Hope you get the 44 up and going, a lot of fun.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Yeah, we had to re-do the wiring in my wife's car as well. Honestly, after so much time and money spent on this car to rebuild the engine and do things right, we should have just dumped the turbo 4 and put an LS in it and called it a day. It would have performed better, been a lot less of a headache, and probably be a lot more reliable in the long term. We might still do that later if we keep the car and improve it further, but for now we're trying to figure out a zero oil pressure issue, which meant dropping the whole front end to drop the pan, get access to the pickup tube and the pump ...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Interesting to see a few Mustang people on here also have 944s. This is my S2 down here in New Zealand.
51024595561_d09b83a993.jpg

As a small aside as I am also from the upside down part of the globe but my 944 is left hand drive I alternate between normal right hand drive (using left hand for gearshift and handbrake) to Mustang (left hand drive, right hand for shifting and handbrake) to the 944 with it's odd handbrake between the drivers seat and the door meaning left hand drive, right hand shifting but left hand for the handbrake! 😝

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Interesting to see a few Mustang people on here also have 944s. This is my S2 down here in New Zealand.
View attachment 93139

As a small aside as I am also from the upside down part of the globe but my 944 is left hand drive I alternate between normal right hand drive (using left hand for gearshift and handbrake) to Mustang (left hand drive, right hand for shifting and handbrake) to the 944 with it's odd handbrake between the drivers seat and the door meaning left hand drive, right hand shifting but left hand for the handbrake! 😝
There is a 944 that races with us in SCCA ITE occasionally and he's pretty fast. I think it was a world challenge car or something like that and I guess the driver was kind of a big shot. He's quite a nice guy but his name escapes me at the moment. I'll re visit when I remember. @Albino500 help me remember.

EDIT: Mark Kibort is his name.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kevin, can you fill in the details?

11807210_10206912807080115_2586311614312904904_o.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That really looks alot more like a 928 viewing the back end and side.
You might be right...I don't know the Porsche models very well....this is a V8 car if that matters.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
this help?

11754599_10206912807040114_4334406200533011961_o.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type