The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weight Reduction That Doesn't Ruin Your life/Safety, Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA
Hi all,

What are some weight reduction mods you have done that didn't ruin your car from an NVH or safety standpoint?

IE, gutted doors...... great for weight reduction, add some NVH, but from a safety and practicality perspective are very dangerous due to no door crash bar, and no window.

• AC Delete: great for weight reduction, but represents a pretty large decrease in overall comfort.
  • Lightweight radiator support: Good for weight reduction, no impact on safety or NVH
  • Lightweight 1pc driveshaft: Good for weight reduction, no impact on safety or NVH
  • Lightweight Battery: Weight savings, but less reliability due to charging, potential for fire, etc.
  • Lexan windows?
  • Carbon fiber body panels?
  • Removing Headliner?
  • Removing Carpet?
  • Etc,

Just looking for ideas/discussion!

Thanks all

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
*Following*

How about:
- removal of windshield washer bottle/fluid
- removal of windshield wipers and motor
- catback exhaust
- clutch/flywheel
- removal of plastic center console
- removal of glove box
- removal of sound system speakers

I'm in the same boat. Not ready to completely gut it just yet but looking to shed as much weight as I can

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I've gutted most of the interior, have been looking at gutting doors, doors are quite heavy. Carbon fibre doors are crazy price and look like they're not simple to install. Looking for wrecker doors to gut, if they're a bit blem'd who cares (because track car) and keep my current doors for when I end up selling, or wearing out, this car. Or maybe not, I might just gut these ones, I think this car is my last track car.

Glass is very heavy, you can save some weight with the lightweight windshield and back window, though that's pricey weight.

Couple of companies in England make thermoformed polycarbonate window kits for stangs. I think there's good weight savings to be had there.

Haven't decided what to do yet, still gathering information.

CA
*Following*

How about:
- removal of windshield washer bottle/fluid
- removal of windshield wipers and motor
- catback exhaust
- clutch/flywheel
- removal of plastic center console
- removal of glove box
- removal of sound system speakers

I'm in the same boat. Not ready to completely gut it just yet but looking to shed as much weight as I can
I like the windshield wiper idea, the circuit that controls the wipers + HVAC blower motor failed in my car so my wipers haven't been operational in years.

If you gut the doors, do not remove the side impact beam bonded to the door skin unless you have a full cage providing the protection. I also do not suggest carbon doors unless you have a full cage too. Having no side impact protection is just asking for a trip to the ICU.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
If I gut the doors I'm not taking the crash beam out. Already decided that. Leaving it in gives some rigidity fore and aft as well so it's not a totally useless weight.
But you gotta wonder about the composite doors that have nothing in there. Do they pass tech like that? The GT4 has composite doors doesn't it? As well as hood/trunk/roof?

CA
Using Ford parts website/other info, I have compiled the following so far:

PartWeight (lbs.)
Wiper Motor
3​
Wiper Linkage
4​
Wiper Arms
2​
Wiper Blade
0.66​
A/C System
40​
Rear Seat Hardware
5​
Mufflers
10​
AGM Battery
15​
Lithium Battery
25​
Girodisc Rotors
26​
K-member
20​
Driveshaft
16​
Sound Deadening???
Headliner???
Carpet???
Carbon Fiber Fenders
4​
Carbon Fiber Trunk
20​
FRPP Tow Bar Front
8.4​
Radiator Support
5​
FRPP Tow Bar Rear
7​
Fender Liners
6​
Gutted Doors
75​
Lexan Windows:
20​
APEX VS-5RS (compared to flow formed 18x11 EC7)
14.6​
TOTAL WEIGHT SAVINGS:
326.66​

Does anybody have weight numbers for the sound deadening, carpet and headliner?

Edit***

This is for my personal car. I already have some weight savings stuff installed like carbon fiber hood, no rear seats, etc.

If I gut the doors I'm not taking the crash beam out. Already decided that. Leaving it in gives some rigidity fore and aft as well so it's not a totally useless weight.
But you gotta wonder about the composite doors that have nothing in there. Do they pass tech like that? The GT4 has composite doors doesn't it? As well as hood/trunk/roof?
The GT4 has a very well designed cage with multiple door bars protecting the drive. The GT4's cage provides a lot more side impact protection than the OEM door beam. If you have a full cage with door bars, then getting ride of the OEM crash beam is a great place to save some weight.

GT4:

1666997632123.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get on the Atkin's Diet or similar, lose 10 lbs or more, and that will help you crawl in and out of the car, ha! Get a set of Optic Armor windshield replacements as that gets rid of weight and it is high up there. No problem if driven on the street, though get it thick enough in the front that it will take 150 mph runs at some tracks. Most folks do a brace, so you get a little weight back.

Most of what you are doing is working and after all your work I would probably put in a cage or at least a roller ---- I know weight going back in. Makes the car more rigid too, so a benefit there, plus safety.

Definitely interested to see what other options are available for weight reduction, especially in regards to bang for your buck while retaining streetability

I’m on a similar quest to pull 100lbs out of the car before next season without sacrificing year round street comfort and safety (while also keeping within the “finished interior” rule set of CAM)

So far I’ve started with the following:

-Rear seat delete
-lightweight flowtech axlebacks (-30lbs over my gt500 take-offs)
-remove front strut bar (-7lbs)
- tubular shorty headers (-3lbs over v6 cast iron bits)
-lightweight battery for competition use only
-actually emptying the interior/glovebox/mats at events (maybe a free 5lbs)

Subscribed to see what other revelations come out in this thread
-J

Good ideas and discussion. Couple more possible ideas:

Don't oversize things if it's not necessary. 14" Boss front rotors are 25 lbs each, 15" are 34lbs each according to Vorshlag.
19x11 Apex EC7 are 24.5 lbs, 18x11 are 22.8 lbs.
I believe coilover front suspension often is lighter than stock MacStruts?
Small differences but all on the front and unsprung.

I suspect you are way past this stage, but depending on how much stereo you want or have, you can remove subwoofers etc.
Remove the cast iron axle weights on the rear axle (really Ford??)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sometimes weight is beneficial and after running 14 inch rotors for years the 15 inch ones on the Mach 1 are so impressive hauling down that " Fat Lady, " I will agree with those who say the 15s make a difference.........................a huge difference in my estimation.

Stevbd is right on the stereo, though, the sound of the 5.0 is all the music you really need!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I might have missed it in your list but just in case... but getting a racing seat and taking out the really heavy stock seats is always good.

CA
Yep, the car has a sparco bucket, rollbar, harnesses, etc.

I don't run with a passenger seat in the car so I can bring my tires to/from the track.

The more I think about it, there seems to be a tradeoff between weight reduced, purchase price, and daily comfort/safety.

For example, I could get the following done and lose 165 Lbs from the car, and seemingly lose no comfort or safety in the process:

Untitled Spreadsheet
PartWeight (lbs.)
Wiper Motor
3​
Wiper Linkage
4​
Wiper Arms
2​
Wiper Blade
0.66​
Rear Seat Hardware
5​
Mufflers
10​
Lithium Battery
25​
Girodisc Rotors
26​
K-member
20​
Driveshaft
16​
FRPP Tow Bar Front
8.4​
Radiator Support
5​
FRPP Tow Bar Rear
7​
Lexan Windows:
20​
APEX VS-5RS (compared to flow formed 18x11 EC7)
14.6​
TOTAL WEIGHT SAVINGS:166.5 LBS

But for all of that, the price would be........

So expensive. Thousands.

Crap.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
So it looks like if you remove most of the extra stuff and gut the doors you can take out about 325 lbs. How does this compare to the weight of a full cage with door bars?

TMO Supporting Vendors