The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Drove it hard at Sears Point Track Day with new parts. Sticky tires? Better suspension? Makes for a fun day. Drove home in one piece. Unfortunately, some others were attempting to defy physics. Bummer! Never like to see that.

576 said:
Drove it hard at Sears Point Track Day with new parts. Sticky tires? Better suspension? Makes for a fun day. Drove home in one piece. Unfortunately, some others were attempting to defy physics. Bummer! Never like to see that.
Which tires are you running. Hopefully no BMO members did any damage to their cars. I wanted to sneak out there yesterday but obviously didn't. Looks like the weather should have been nice.

Well, it was yesterday, but took it out of winter hibernation and drove it. With possibly the last gorgeous day till spring, sunny with temps in mid-60s, who could resist? Probably the last chance till spring for an hour or so of BOSS 302 therapy.

Too much traffic and too many cops prowling to really get on it, but still worth the effort. Topped off the tank on the way home, then put it back to a long winter's nap in the garage. Probably till spring this time.

drano38

Wayne

ArizonaBOSS said:
Plugged in the battery tender...

+1 :(
Not sure if I'll even fire up the Boss to change the oil this week, or just wait until spring. Was -4F here this morning.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

steveespo said:
Melted bushings off of a set of front control arms as part of my DIY Boss 302S FCA fabrication. Not fun, very toxic.
Will save $450 off of buying them from Ford Racing though.

I saw a video online of somebody using a press and a couple thick steel "collar" shims to press out the existing arm from the hydro bushing. I think I'm going to try to have that done when it's time for me to upgrade mine.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Hydro bushing side is the easy one Drew, cut off wheel for the mount and drum, then a hole saw down over the sleeve and a cut off wheel to split the inner steel sleeve over the stub shaft. The front bushing is the biznitch, can't press it out and the rubber melts when you try and drill it with the hole saw, finally a saw zall to split the shell. first one took me 3 hours, 2nd one 40 minutes.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

steveespo said:
Hydro bushing side is the easy one Drew, cut off wheel for the mount and drum, then a hole saw down over the sleeve and a cut off wheel to split the inner steel sleeve over the stub shaft. The front bushing is the biznitch, can't press it out and the rubber melts when you try and drill it with the hole saw, finally a saw zall to split the shell. first one took me 3 hours, 2nd one 40 minutes.
Steve

Crap. I didn't even think about the front bushing.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

The clean arms with Howe ball Joints from Ford Racing cost $600 The Ford Bushing and mount kit cost me $429 from American Muscle with discount. I had a set of arms and spent $177 on the Howe ball joints, thread sleeves and dust boots from Watson, so saved $423.
Worth it to me but not one of my favorite projects so far.
Steve

I should get my Howe ball joint from Watson tomorrow

I'll be using the prothane bushing kit

6-220-BL for the big rear around 110$ for the pair
6-218-BL for the front around 25$ for the pair

here's some instruction I found for the front one
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/Installation_instructions/Prothane/6218.pdf

and for the rear
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/Installation_instructions/Prothane/6220.pdf

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego

GOT SVT said:
took off the insurance for winter hibernation :(

Insurance question for those who park their cars for the winter.

The car still has comprehensive insurance on it for fire and theft?

four-walling said:
Insurance question for those who park their cars for the winter.

The car still has comprehensive insurance on it for fire and theft?

correct, takes off collision

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Pulled the trigger on Aluminator NA shortblock from Tousley/WhiteBearLake Ford Parts, plus the remaining ancillary parts for my build.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

ordered the mgw race spec shifter

installed the lower fog lights

P1010797_zpsfefa47f6.jpg

P1010809_zpsa13464a4.jpg

P1010811_zpsb44e7eb4.jpg

temporary_zps068b43dc.jpg

now i have to order h11 6000k 4500lm led fog bulps :)

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

ArizonaBOSS said:
Plugged in the battery tender...

Verified that mine was still working ;)

Spent countless hours trying to (and eventually succeeding) to squeeze the race seat from the Boss into the GTS2 car. Amazing how much harder having a (crappy) cage in the car makes mounting a seat :). Next up, R&R on the oil filter housing (3rd time) to time-sert the threads for the oil pressure and temp fittings. Last two leaks on the car. Then it's off to the fabricator to cut out bars and add back bars.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel