The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re-lashed and re-greased front ball joints. Changed out the rear bushing kit on the front control arms with the Ford Racing M-3052-R1 Kit. Because, Ford Racing.
I have the Full Ford Racing M-5638-C Boss 302S kit but didn't see the need to change the front bushings just yet. Besides the M-5638-B bushing kit is cheaper to buy and replace @ $55.00 bucks a pop. The front Polly bushing from the Ford kit is still holding up and in good shape after 5 years.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Got my Tow Hook/License Plate bracket from Steve @pufferfish and it looks great. (So much nicer than my poorly fabbed one - although it did work!) Gotta try it out when I get home tonight.

Ordered some of those DBA XP650 pads from KNS to go with my DBA rotors and will guinea pig them out.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
My dad just told me the linkage on the transmission broke (he is watching the car while I'm away). That's the second time that nut has backed off and I even put loc-tite on there. Wife asked if there is a better design somewhere that doesn't have that kind of linkage, so I showed her the six speed Tremec.

Long story short, I now have enthusiastic permission to swap in a new six speed. Now I just need to save up the cash.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Got an update from dad about the transmission and have to vent and hopefully be proven wrong. He took it to a shop he trusts (alarm bells already) and they said that the bolt that connects the linkage to the transmission needs to be replaced and they ordered a new one.

The bolt and linkage are one assembly, so I'm not sure how they're doing that and they're charging a good chunk of change to out on a bolt that should take twenty minutes (that's how long it took me). They also said another bolt I used appears to be stripped and should be longer. Well, every bolt that connects the MGW shifter assembly to the transmission is stock, so again, not sure what they're talking about. They can't replace any other bolts on the assembly anyways, that I'm aware of.

So this whole thing is ticking me off. Should be a simple fix but because nobody else in my whole family knows anything about cars I'm stuck trying to communicate across the international date line what should be an easy fix and probably paying too much for something I just want to do myself.

The possibility of swapping to a six speed will come later. Just need to get it back on the road right now.

Oh, and nobody will bother to send me pictures.

My best advice is not get anything done til you are able to be there to see what EXACTLY is going on. Your car can still be started at least once or twice a week even with trans issues. Rip offs can happen, especially when the shop realizes the customer knows nothing about cars.........Heads up!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Unfortunately I won't be there to examine it in person for at least another year. I told them to send me pictures. If they do not, I will not have the work done.

Update: it wasn't the linkage. I sent a picture of the assembly to my dad and the shop owner pointed to the bolt that mounts the shifter assembly to the transmission itself. Apparently it is stripped and they are going to try to replace it. That is okay.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Had early coffee with friends.

Went with them to C&C. Got blocked in by these:
39612936234_14bce28ff9.jpg

Used the 70º weather to take the slow way home on PCH.

Went a few 'laps' in my usual stomping grounds.

Took this as a hint for where to get lunch today:
39426355835_9248b42a42.jpg

Put the other Braille in the Boss:
26456723688_031e349c90.jpg

Thanked my wife and kids for letting me have a whole car day. :D

Quality you can taste!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Wasn't my car but worked on PeteInCT's 2012 LS along with 2012-Boss to add S550 6 piston calipers and rotors up front and 13.8" GT500 rotors and new calipers out back. We had a great fun day also discovered that MCS coilovers require a 30mm spacer in order to clear Apex 18x11" wheels with BF Goodrich 315 R1S tires. Apparently MCS builds the struts with the top spindle bolt as tight to the strut body as possible for maximum built in camber, distance from face of strut to center of bolt was only 11/16" necessitating the extra 10mm of spacer to clear.

We are calling Pete's car 'Bulldog' now, because of the wide stance up front and narrow ass. Sort of like Pete himself. :)
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors