The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran an autocross and top speed event yesterday. The Falken 615+ tires did pretty good. The event is run what you brung. I usually run 10-12 seconds behind the fastest cars. I cut that down to 4.5 seconds. So two weeks of wrenching and a couple of years gathering parts paid off. We had alot of rain in the morning so we did some wet runs until things dried out. Only got in four runs and two top speed runs.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Purchased a few things...

Multimatic UCA (will need to look for a 2011-2014 stock UCA mount to work on mine)
Boss 302S LCAs and relo brackets
FR500S muffler kit
Boss 302S steering wheel and quick release
Ford Racing one piece driveshaft
Ford Racing clutch line
Ford Racing throttle body

I think I've pretty much bought everything from the Ford Racing catalog that will do anything for me now. It's all sitting in a storage unit near my parents' house until I get back stateside to put it all together.

Last edited:

drano38

Wayne
Removed the stock 2-piece driveshaft. Yep, big, heavy, clumsy. Got it out with the rear suspension loaded (axles on jack stands)
A brown truck should have my Driveshaft Shop 1-piece aluminum here Monday.
Hope the 1-piece slides in there w/o having to loosen/remove any exhaust.

drano38

Wayne
A State Patrol stopped me in a truck stop parking lot on the way home from the track.

Yesterday on the way back from a morning at RPM, I stopped at a truck stop with the trusty Dodge Dakota trailering the Boss.
Filled the truck with gas, and parked in the semi parking area. On the way inside, I saw a State Patrol car next to the building, and saw him just inside the door as he was walking out.
I grab some food and sit by the window for a quick meal. I see his car now parked beside my Dakota and Boss. Thought that was odd. Maybe the trailer tires 6" over my parking lane line got his attention?
As I start walking to my vehicle, he's chatting with a 5 year old boy who's mom has their dog in the dog play area. I check the Boss tie downs, and as I approach the trooper, he says "Your name is Wayne, correct?" Wow, I'm 120 miles from home, and a trooper calls me by name. I don't think I've talked to 5 law enforcement officers in my life, so this is really odd.
He tells me his name, and that he had been a physical trainer at the gym my wife goes to, and also taught dog obedience training classes our daughter took her puppy to that I attended several times. Now my memory kicked in, and I recognized him under the brim of that big hat. He thought he recognized me as we passed at the front door, and when he saw my Boss on the trailer, he knew it was me because he knows I have the Boss. He waited for me to come out so he could say hi.
Ya never know who you're going to run into.

Great story and I'm glad it ended well.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran an autocross today, finished 41st out of 83 cars. Huge variety of cars, 8 seconds behind the fastest guy. Only 3 seconds behind making top ten. Hot and humid (for Minnesota), car was bogging in one section of the track, thought it was going into limp mode, then realized I forgot to turn off the traction & stability control. This weeks project will be to stick a label on the dash - TURN OFF THE NANNY.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Loaded the Boss in her new travel trailer for the first tyme. They don't build these things for old, creaky boned guys like me. (I'm not overly big, 5'11" 195 lbs.) Getting in and out of the car wasn't so easy. Moved the car as far to the other side as possible and I did push the seat all the way back and it made it easier in and out. How the hell am I going to do this when I'm 75?

Image-2.jpg

I use a winch mounted to the floor (or mounted under the floor in my case) to pull on the tow ring mounted in the front of the car to move the car in and out of the trailer without having to get inside the car. I have a remote control winch so you don't even need to be in the trailer at all. Some people use the winch to tow hook as a tie down point but I do not.

Tim

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ran the Boss 302S at Topeka ( Heartland Motorsports Park) and took 1.7 seconds off my last run there , but........................have an oil leak so again only 2 sessions. May be just an oil pan gasket , but looking more like a rear main seal , dang.

PS - I have an escape door in my trailer , but the darn S is too low, so I have to climb out the window like Tyme. I can do it easily though, and I am older than that olde farte!!

TMO Supporting Vendors