The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

racered302 said:
Maybe you should have picked another color when you replaced you Boss, you don't seem to have very good luck with red ones.

Ouch!

Time to catch up. Last fall I installed T-springs. A couple of weeks ago I installed BMR lower control arm relocation brackets and J & M lower control arms. So I got back under the car today and installed the CHE upper control arm mount and Steeda adjustable upper control arm. Then I put up a CHE K-member brace with transmission torque links. And the Whiteline transmission brushing just for good measure. so it was quite a day and it feels like a completely different car, i'm very satisfied.

Howe industries ball joints are in. V-bands and Magnaflow 14419 bullet style mufflers are being installed. We'll see if this helps pass 90 dB sound at LS.

qaqebu9u.jpg

a9agy6u9.jpg

9e7ysuby.jpg

gajazy2e.jpg

zahu7use.jpg

neema said:
Howe industries ball joints are in. V-bands and Magnaflow 14419 bullet style mufflers are being installed. We'll see if this helps pass 90 dB sound at LS.

qaqebu9u.jpg

a9agy6u9.jpg
How easy is to change the ball joints? Any modification needed to fit the Howe?

I just installed the Steeda Boss arm and with the recent problem with X11 I might have to upgrade to Howe pretty soon.

Woke her up from a long hibernation and went for a 20 mile cruise. My face hurts from grinning!

Tulsa, OK

Installed new rear brake pads and rotors. Pads still have some good amount of life left on them but they were wearing very unevenly. And the rotors were less than smooth. I ran most of last year on these pads and I was surprised at how much pad was still left. Hoping the new ones will wear a little more evenly.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Popped out the Steeda X11 ball joints and popped in 2 more. One was bad, very loose with about 1/16" vertical play, the other seemed tight but I did both to be safe. The new set seemed to have a different main body than the ones I pulled out so maybe they had a revised supplier.
Steve

Swiss Boss said:
How easy is to change the ball joints? Any modification needed to fit the Howe?

I just installed the Steeda Boss arm and with the recent problem with X11 I might have to upgrade to Howe pretty soon.

Beyond pressing the old ball joint out, installing the the Howe unit requires welding the sleeve onto the control arm. Thread the ball joint in after that and you're done.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

neema said:
Beyond pressing the old ball joint out, installing the the Howe unit requires welding the sleeve onto the control arm. Thread the ball joint in after that and you're done.

Yeah, I had to get the car ready and didn't want to pull the arms off to weld the sleeves. I have a spare set that I am going to convert to full 302 R spec including the Howe ball joints. I had hoped that the sleeve was a press in but I see you needed it fully welded around the perimeter.
Steve

I tried to remove my cats and put the O/R legs on but I could not seperate the legs from the collectors, it was like they were a solid piece. I tugged, twisted and did everything I could think of but no luck. I haven't driven my car 200 miles since the header install. I would really like a little input on this one be it seems like a simple enough job. What do I do now short of paying to get it replace.

dgc76

Life is good

MGW and modified Whiteline bushing insert. Wow! Now I can shift this beast. 2nd to 3rd at full throttle every time. Before I would miss it about half the time. Almost no increased noise, just a little in 4th. Thanks to you guys for posting so many good reviews and convincing me to go MGW.

TMO Supporting Vendors