The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Spent yesterday at mid america motorplex... road course in morning and afternoon... drag track after that...
I am slow on the road course... and worse on the 1/8 th mile... p zeros are ok... but not good for either....
still had more fun then mowing the lawn...lol

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

Filled her up with some gas and gave her a thorough beating around CA-1 cruising the coast for a bit to get her ready for Boss Thunder on the Hill in 2 weeks! Woo! Yesterday, I made arrangements to get my rotors, pads, DOT4, and brake duct kit and an oil change taken care of later this week. Then the car will be parked until I decide if I'm trailering her with my buddy's truck or if we're cruising up towards Willows.

I finally took my Boss to its 1st lapping day at Canadian Motorsport park (Mosport). I am hooked for life now. Car felt so good!

Organized my tiny two car garage so I could fit the Boss and our new Juke...they're not talking to each other, I think my Boss is jealous at the moment.

Installed AED tune and removed cats. This vid is also with Kooks sidepipes without restrictor plates. May need to tone her down a bit. Dyno day later this week for data logging for Shaun.

http://youtu.be/QZAQj3spBvk

Maybe this time it'll work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska

heading to garage to scrub the racing crud off... dit wad in dying MR2 wouldn't give me a wave by until he got the meatball flag... then they let him get back on... in front of me again - and still no wave by... until it was fatal in mid corner... I can't believe they let him back on...ugh... now his turbo oil is all over the front of my car... am not happy with driver or track guys.

69mustangman said:
Out of warranty now. Installed AED tune and removed cats.
Our cars have a 5 year or 60,000 mile power train warranty. Did you hit 60,000 miles?

Changed my clutch this WE and hated every second of it...
- Don't swallow the fact that I have to change the clutch on a car that has less than 2K miles.
Supposedly "track ready" when after 30 min of track use you can't shift to 5th or 6th anymore...
- Don't enjoy the fact that where I am, I have no warranty whatsoever.
- Did have a very hard time putting the trans back on the new clutch (Exedy dual disc w/flywheel) although I am far from being new to clutch changes...I think the throwout bearing made my life miserable.
gallery_12429_213_23615.jpg
gallery_12429_213_49602.jpg
gallery_12429_213_81596.jpg

gallery_12429_213_6190.jpg

Questions:
I upgraded to the CJ pulse ring (and the FRPP clutch line).
May I start the car like it was or do I have to do the neutral relearn before firing it?
When doing the neutral relearn do I have to use the blk or the red key ? or do I have to do it all twice (once with each key)?
When doing the neutral relearn is there a chance to lose the dual OEM tunes (blk & red)?
I will have the neutral relearn done by an official Ford local dealer BUT they have NEVER seen a Mustang S-197 (not imported here)
THANK YOU for your comments!

Drive it down to the dealer for the relearn. It won't affect the track key. It might go into limp mode.

It won't harm the engine?
Its a 10 miles stop and go urban trip to the dealer...
I am so chicken I did not even dare firing the Boss yet!

Thank you FatBoss, thank you Steeve!!!
I will start the Boss and drive to the dealer tomorrow.
I am curious to check the Exedy as well, I have a track event June 4th.
Cheers,
Patrick

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Patrick
Try and drive the car as much as you can to bed in the clutch before track day. Need to basically bed it in like brakes, to create a mating suface on the flywheel, pressure plate and disc for best performance and feel. 500 street miles is a good average, the more stop and go the better.
Steve

GB899 said:
heading to garage to scrub the racing crud off... dit wad in dying MR2 wouldn't give me a wave by until he got the meatball flag... then they let him get back on... in front of me again - and still no wave by... until it was fatal in mid corner... I can't believe they let him back on...ugh... now his turbo oil is all over the front of my car... am not happy with driver or track guys.
Bummer. I saw that thing smoking in the paddock.........

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Dropped her off at the body shop... https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5404.msg115352#msg115352

steveespo said:
Patrick
Try and drive the car as much as you can to bed in the clutch before track day. Need to basically bed it in like brakes, to create a mating suface on the flywheel, pressure plate and disc for best performance and feel. 500 street miles is a good average, the more stop and go the better.
Steve
Thank you Steve,
Yes I know I have to break it in.
I planned to drive the BOSS this WE.
Additionally, the drive to the track is a great mountain road, for half the distance, so it is a lot of FUN and will give the clutch a gentle 2nd workout before the track use.
Cheers,
Patrick

Tried to bleed my clutch the usual way (by pumping it a zillion time)
But this time it does not work.
As I changed my slave cylinder (hydraulic throwout bearing) and did not prime it I suppose this is my problem.
I am not far but the clutch just does not disengage enough to allow putting the car in any gear.
I am sure Ford does not prime it in new vehicles.
They must perform a vacuum pump fill up ...
Any idea how to bleed my clutch system?

Note: Saw and read all that great topic Clutch Bleeding: I'm a believer now
But applying vacuum to the reservoir cap is not enough for my case (it seems).
I suppose I am looking for a vacuum + pressure fill up technique.

Is your line from the master to the bellhousing clear of fluid too? I neglected to bench bleed my slave cyl but had fluid running out of the line (and plenty in the reservoir) when I attached it to the slave fitting at the bellhousing. I pumped the pedal about 250 times I think and it's just fine. Probably didn't have to pump it that many.

TMO Supporting Vendors