The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Swiss Boss said:
+1
I had overheat yesterday at the track 85F and 90% humidity.
Did order a Saleen grille but I'm on the fence for the fan.
A billet style grille is your first move.

I should add my 107 degree day had humidity in the low teens.

I removed my Airaid CAI and went back to stock.. If anyone is interested in it PM me, has about 200 miles on it. Its not the CF tube.

Bled the brakes with fresh ATE, packed up the car with tools and some spare parts, and rotated the tires for weekend's track event at summit point.

Got back from a weekend at summit point, unfortunately I think i toasted my transmission :(
I was having trouble going into 5th, now I'm having trouble in every freakin gear. Hope it's due to degraded fluid, and not the synchros. Any ideas or similar experiences out there?

F.D. Sako said:
Got back from a weekend at summit point, unfortunately I think i toasted my transmission :(
I was having trouble going into 5th, now I'm having trouble in every freakin gear. Hope it's due to degraded fluid, and not the synchros. Any ideas or similar experiences out there?

Make a seperate thread, since this is a serious issue and a lot of experienced people will chime.
The short answer is take her to the dealer.

F.D. Sako said:
If you have the OEM clutch, check it out first.
But then it might have damaged your tranny...
On mine, changing the clutch solved all my shifting problems but as I received this advise from this forum people I did not drive the car much before the swap so the tranny is good.

Tulsa, OK

Gave up on trying to stab the transmission back in my car :-[ After 3 days of failed attempts with some friends who are car savvy, we threw in the towel and trailered the car to a local shop. We had a lift and a trans jack but could not get the trans to go back in. We were about a half inch away from everything seating and it just wouldn't go. Everything looks good with the new parts (clutch, flywheel, and TOB). We used the stock pilot bearing but it still looked to be in great condition. I'm sure it will be something small when it's all said and done. Feeling very deflated....

roadhouse said:
Gave up on trying to stab the transmission back in my car :-[ After 3 days of failed attempts with some friends who are car savvy, we threw in the towel and trailered the car to a local shop. We had a lift and a trans jack but could not get the trans to go back in. We were about a half inch away from everything seating and it just wouldn't go. Everything looks good with the new parts (clutch, flywheel, and TOB). We used the stock pilot bearing but it still looked to be in great condition. I'm sure it will be something small when it's all said and done. Feeling very deflated....

1/2" away sure sounds like the pilot bearing. You said you checked the bearing. What about the input shaft for any burs or nicks. After 3 days I'm suprised you did'nt throw anything threw the windshield. Kudos to you for keeping your cool. you know what gonna suck is the shop is going to say it went right in without any problems. :eek: Good luck and keep us posted.

Tulsa, OK

boss man said:
1/2" away sure sounds like the pilot bearing. You said you checked the bearing. What about the input shaft for any burs or nicks. After 3 days I'm suprised you did'nt throw anything threw the windshield. Kudos to you for keeping your cool. you know what gonna suck is the shop is going to say it went right in without any problems. :eek: Good luck and keep us posted.

Many beers were consumed to drown our sorrows ;D

Pilot bearing was my guess, too. I'm sure you're right, the shop will stab it in first try ::)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

I'm sure you did but did you use alignment tool to aling the pilot bearing and the discs while tightening the pressure plate? A little grease on the splines and turning the output flange slightly while pushing sometimes does the trick. Finally start all the bellhousing bolts and draw it in gently while tightening a 1/4 turn at a time in a criss cross pattern. I know the manual says not to but it works.
Steve

Tulsa, OK

steveespo said:
I'm sure you did but did you use alignment tool to aling the pilot bearing and the discs while tightening the pressure plate? A little grease on the splines and turning the output flange slightly while pushing sometimes does the trick. Finally start all the bellhousing bolts and draw it in gently while tightening a 1/4 turn at a time in a criss cross pattern. I know the manual says not to but it works.
Steve

Thanks for the tips, Steve. Alignment tool was used while tightening the pressure plate. We never did grease the splines but we did try turning it a few times to no avail. We even tried to do pull it in with the bolts but we couldn't get all of them started. I'm sure it's just something small and dumb that we were missing...

quick question. the alinement tool went right in, right? Even after you could'nt get the trans in just to check alinement and the clutch was tighten up correctly.

Tulsa, OK

boss man said:
quick question. the alinement tool went right in, right? Even after you could'nt get the trans in just to check alinement and the clutch was tighten up correctly.

Yes sir, never had a problem with the alignment tool.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
What is the Big brown Santa bring?

For this go-round.. Santa brought me:
13 Boss 302S Grill (M-8200-MBRA)
FRPP Oil Cooler (M-6642-M50BR)
Moroso Racing Oil Pan
Front LCA’s (M-3075-RA)
Front Bushing Kit(M-5638-C)
Bump Steer Kit (M-3130-R4)
Rear LCA’s (M-5649-S)
LCA Drop Brackets (M-5650-A)
Adjustable Panhard Bar (M-4264-A)
P Springs (M-5300-P)
302R Steering Rack (M-3200-EPAS)

I did all of the Rear suspension installation last Thursday evening… As for the front, I’ve got everything torn apart, and K-Member is being dropped tonight, and new oil pan and steering rack being installed this evening. Front LCA’s going on tomorrow evening, struts/springs installed wed night, and hope to button everything up by week’s end (if I don’t get sucked in by the couch and the World Cup games Tues/Wed).

I am planning to install JRI coilovers from Cortex and few of their other ‘goodies’ early part of next year, but didn’t want to pony up the additional $6-7K right now. This should keep me happy til the end of the year! Hopefully..

I'll take some pics along the way and post them up this week.

TMO Supporting Vendors