The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

roadhouse said:
Yes sir, never had a problem with the alignment tool.

Two things I always do. . Buy new bolts that hold the trans in and cut the heads off 2 old ones. Round off the ends and slot the ends for a screwdriver. Use them as guide pins. Looks like you're beyond this.

The other thing is to put the trans in 5 th so it's direct drive. As you struggle to seat the trans, turn the output shaft to help align the splines in the clutch.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

SC BOSS said:
For this go-round.. Santa brought me:
13 Boss 302S Grill (M-8200-MBRA)
FRPP Oil Cooler (M-6642-M50BR)
Moroso Racing Oil Pan
Front LCA’s (M-3075-RA)
Front Bushing Kit(M-5638-C)
Bump Steer Kit (M-3130-R4)
Rear LCA’s (M-5649-S)
LCA Drop Brackets (M-5650-A)
Adjustable Panhard Bar (M-4264-A)
P Springs (M-5300-P)
302R Steering Rack (M-3200-EPAS)

I did all of the Rear suspension installation last Thursday evening… As for the front, I’ve got everything torn apart, and K-Member is being dropped tonight, and new oil pan and steering rack being installed this evening. Front LCA’s going on tomorrow evening, struts/springs installed wed night, and hope to button everything up by week’s end (if I don’t get sucked in by the couch and the World Cup games Tues/Wed).

I am planning to install JRI coilovers from Cortex and few of their other ‘goodies’ early part of next year, but didn’t want to pony up the additional $6-7K right now. This should keep me happy til the end of the year! Hopefully..

I'll take some pics along the way and post them up this week.

Sweet! I'm thinking to install the 302S arms and Cortex FLCA Bushings in a couple months along with a Moroso oil pan.

neema said:
Cortex has F(ront)LCA bushings?
Forget the bushings did you install the JRI's?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

neema said:
Cortex has F(ront)LCA bushings?

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/front-control-arm-bushings/

Which JRis did you go with? Also did you sign up for DE4 at Laguna w/ NASA end of month?

drano38

Wayne

Got my Setrab 934 cooler from Improved Racing and their updated inline thermostat, and all other associated parts. Got the cooler mounting bracket (from 06mach1) installed yesterday, so hope to make good progress on the sandwich plate, oil lines, etc on Wednesday.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Gosh, I love those Bay Area Shelby owners, I read in the above article that they brought in there own Car Detail Company to keep those Shelby's clean between track sessions! You gotta love that!
2HP

I got a lot accomplished last night..

I removed the K-member, removed the old oil pan, installed the new 302S LCA's and upgraded bushing kit, installed the new Moroso Oil pan, installed the new 302R steering rack, and then re-installed the K-Member. Quite an accomplishments in one evening, i think!

kmemberremoved.jpg

kmember.jpg

302Rrackcomparison.jpg

newarmsandrack.jpg

newlcaandbushingsjpeg.jpg

PanRemoved.jpg

paninstalled1.jpg

paninstalled.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Great Job. That is a lot of work for one evening and she is looking good. Your new oil pan should really help with oil temps also first time that I have seen the two steering racks side by side. Very nice and good luck with the rest of your install and track testing.
302 HP

ArizonaBOSS said:

Which JRis did you go with? Also did you sign up for DE4 at Laguna w/ NASA end of month?

Cortex doesn't say on their site but are they Delrin?

boss man said:
Just wondering why you didnt install LT headers whith the K member out.

the k-member is very easy to remove. Just a little time consuming to get to the point of removing it. I didn't have plans for long tube headers at the time. Plus, i'm building up a 302R over the next few months. Once we finish the 302R, my boss will more than likely bereturned to stock, so long tubes were not in the cards for this car.

This is my 'practice' track car until we finish the R - build! lol.

Luke

NFSBOSS said:
Is that a WR roll bar I see in the background?

edit!: I thought you said sway-bars! yes, that is the WR roll bar in the background. Needs to go in very soon!! I refuse to drive in stock seats at LS this month

ArizonaBOSS said:

Those look awfully similar to prothane's bushings: http://www.amazon.com/Prothane-6-220-BL-Control-Bushing-Bracket/dp/B00387WHZS
51gaDD737OL._SL1500_.jpg

I went with the DAs. Just signed up for LS on Sunday. See you there?

ORANGE CRUSH said:
Cortex doesn't say on their site but are they Delrin?

If they're prothanes, they're just polyurethane.

TMO Supporting Vendors