The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

You're welcome. Good luck this season.

It is amazing how lightweight the Boss feels when you have almost empty gas tank!!
I am almost 12 gallons empty, that is around 100 Ib.

I got myself a set of 18X9 SVE drift wheels and will wrap them with 245/45-18 Max summer tires. That is almost 44 Ib rotational unsprung weight loss! I will report back to you.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

13Boss said:
It is amazing how lightweight the Boss feels when you have almost empty gas tank!!
I am almost 12 gallons empty, that is around 100 Ib.

I got myself a set of 18X9 SVE drift wheels and will wrap them with 245/45-18 Max summer tires. That is almost 44 Ib rotational unsprung weight loss! I will report back to you.

13boss I went with the SVE drifts in 18-10. The 10" wheel gives you more options for wider track rubber. Have you mounted tires yet? Any plans for track time?

TMSBOSS said:
13boss I went with the SVE drifts in 18-10. The 10" wheel gives you more options for wider track rubber. Have you mounted tires yet? Any plans for track time?

I intentionally went with 18X9, because I do not want wide tires.
All this stemmed from trying 235/50-18 snow tires when I was in Michigan. I liked the feeling the narrow tires gave me!

So I will try 245/45-18 on 9 inch wheel which is the upper range of wheel width for this tire. I have't bought the tires yet, because I am waiting for Spring discounts.
I weight the wheel and it is about 23.4 Ib and the tire will be 24 Ib.
This setup is for street use only.

For the track, I do have Enkei PF01 18X10.5 (22 Ib).

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Loaded the Boss up for a 18+ hour drive south :eek: to warmer temperatures -- checking Sebring off the bucket list this weekend 8)

Hadn't driven the Boss since early December -- reminded me how light the clutch is on the GT350 -- surprising how quick you get used to it!

Black Boss said:
Loaded the Boss up for a 18+ hour drive south :eek: to warmer temperatures -- checking Sebring off the bucket list this weekend 8)

Hadn't driven the Boss since early December -- reminded me how light the clutch is on the GT350 -- surprising how quick you get used to it!

I've been, intentionally, driving mine back to back. the clutch feel is so very different. I really like the clutch feel in the GT350.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Cut clearance holes for oil cooler lines in my replacement undertray using a hot knife, and removed a couple fins on the tray for brake duct clearance.

Soon I'll be ready with a fresh splitter to go on and the car will be ready to race!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Preparing to work on more BMR suspension mods. A-Arms, A-Arm brace, K-Member, Radiator Support and Watts Link. Temps here in Denver should be close to sixty through Saturday. Not sure how far I'll get but it's tyme to get these winter mods started.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Black Boss said:
Hauled the trailer for almost 13 hours with just gas stops. Stopped overnight, Now about 90 mins south of Atlanta with just 6 more hours to go to Sebring

14.5 is my longest one-way tow so far...good luck and get some video! Looking forward to your report :)

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

The highlight of the trip so far is that the Boss has overtaken 2 GT350's -- one when inside the trailer on the drive down, (a Blue one) coming though they smokey mountains of Tennessee, and another on the track today!

It was the first day out for the 350 today -- I'm sure it'll be quicker tomorrow :(

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Completed 2 days at Sebring. It's been on my bucket list for some time, given it's reputation and history, however I was a little skeptical that it would make my list of top tracks, as I really enjoy tracks with a lot of elevation change -- Sebring has none, unless you count the very uneven pavement in a couple of turns!

Turned out to be one, if not the most, technical and challenging tracks I've run. Fantastic lap and lot's of quick cars, although I managed to out run 2 Z28's and the GT350, although the later was on PSS street tires. Will certainly come back. Will post video of the lap asap.

Talked to the GT350 driver -- great guy -- he thought he had brake fade on day 1, but attributed it to the pads not being fully bedded. He said Day 2 was fine. In contrast I was getting fade with race pads -- more than Road America as there are 2 pairs of very close braking zones at Sebring, so I remain hopeful that the GT350 stock pads will work well. Need to measure the Boss pads, but I got thru more than 1 set this weekend....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Black Boss said:
Talked to the GT350 driver -- great guy -- he thought he had brake fade on day 1, but attributed it to the pads not being fully bedded. He said Day 2 was fine. In contrast I was getting fade with race pads -- more than Road America as there are 2 pairs of very close braking zones at Sebring, so I remain hopeful that the GT350 stock pads will work well. Need to measure the Boss pads, but I got thru more than 1 set this weekend....

He is on here @StigsBaldBrother

TMO Supporting Vendors