The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

The heaviest is 7 (right beside the hotel -- I was downshifting 5/4/3/2) very closely followed by 10 (downshift 5/4/3). Turn 17 is a warm up (5/4 or 5/4/3 depending on how much torque you want near the exit wall!), but the real close and hard braking zones follow at 1 and 3!

I've never had so much fun on a flat track! Look forward to seeing you and more Track Mustangs there next visit!

Black Boss said:
The heaviest is 7 (right beside the hotel -- I was downshifting 5/4/3/2) very closely followed by 10 (downshift 5/4/3). Turn 17 is a warm up (5/4 or 5/4/3 depending on how much torque you want near the exit wall!), but the real close and hard braking zones follow at 1 and 3!

I've never had so much fun on a flat track! Look forward to seeing you and more Track Mustangs there next visit!

Sebring is one of my favorites, and one of the closest tracks to me. Post up before you guys head down!

I parked the Boss at the Mazda dealer and test drove the new 2016 MX-5.
What a joy! It is funny how lightweight that car is, it feels like it is made of cardboard :).

It does not have the emotional personality of the Boss, but the handling is very very impressive.
I can easily see myself buying it once the Boss loan starts getting paid off

Had the TSB done for the trans fluid change Trans wasn't really notchy when cold but even though it only has 10k miles now it is 4 years old so had it done. There is a noticeable smoothness now. Think I'll have the diff gear oil changed this week also. I experienced axle seal leaks with Redline in other cars so I'll stick with the Motorcraft factory lube. Anybody added a drain plug to the cast cover? Think I will see about having that done too.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Received 2 UPS shipping/tracking notices today. Took advantage of the Cortex Racing coupon code for free shipping in January 2016 and it shipped with the ETA for next Tuesday. Filip was great to work with and mentioned that he will send me a rear diff cover with provisions for their rear diff catch can system for a later install. I'll post some "What's in the Box" pics when received. It will also be nice to have the diff lub drain and fill plugs on the cover. I like the Royal Purple 75-140 gear lub as it helped to quiet the Torsen and ring and pinion gear noise.

Next UPS notice was for my FRPP Boss 302 LS gauge pack, and delivery is expected today! I've toyed with this mod for a long time and finally pulled the trigger on it in January 2016. It is being dropped shipped from FR in Lavonia, MI. Nice! I'm kinda excited about this mod install as it will be something on the Boss that I can see every time I twist the key. Moreover, it will be nice to have an oil pressure gauge. I'll peg board the wiring harness and add additional wiring to support a Ford Racing branded Auto Meter Oil Temp Gauge to replace the center E-Gauge down the line. This way I'll retain continuity with gauge appearance and function and will have the Ford Racing logo on the center gauge only. Looking forward to this mod.

I also installed a Ford Racing windshield banner and it looks right at home on a Kona Blue and white 2012 Boss 302. Now that should be worth an extra 10 horse power! Hahaha.

It was nice to peel back the cover and see the Boss after 6-7 weeks of being under cover. I forgot how clean she was before I covered her up! Boss 302 Mustangs are so much fun!

Have fun with yours,
302 Hi Pro

Installed the Ford Performance oil separator. All of 2 min to put on. Looks great. Like it was meant to be there.

Tri-bar said:
Installed the Ford Performance oil separator. All of 2 min to put on. Looks great. Like it was meant to be there.

What is the difference between the Ford Perfomance oil separator and the JLT oil separator? How do you empty out the oil? Is it all plastic? Does this oil separator work any better than all the others? Just curious.....

Tim

thehueypilot said:
What is the difference between the Ford Perfomance oil separator and the JLT oil separator? How do you empty out the oil? Is it all plastic? Does this oil separator work any better than all the others? Just curious.....

Tim

It's all plastic, three screws and the bottom comes off.
20160204_164027.jpg

Don't know yet, Just put it on. The design is much different. PCV goes to the bottom then from the breather's top goes to the intake. It doesn't go straight across like the JTL does. may be a better mouse trap. To early to tell.

The following is a summation of some info I have:

A lot of work went in to the filtering media development and it works great. They used glass filled nylon 6 for the part for durability. The gasket is a production throttle body gasket with proven durability while other manufacturers use cheap o-rings that aren’t really qualified to be in an environment containing motor oil and fuels. The hoses come from the same supplier that makes the production parts. OEM quick connects with proper seals in them vs bulk hose over spigots and cheap worm clamps. They did it right.

Does that mean it will work better? I sure hope so. There are plenty of aftermarket separators available so there was no need for Ford to make this part unless they could do a better job. The same engineers that designed your engine designed this part. They think they did and I think so too.

VoodooBOSS said:
...Does that mean it will work better? I sure hope so. There are plenty of aftermarket separators available so there was no need for Ford to make this part unless they could do a better job. The same engineers that designed your engine designed this part. They think they did and I think so too.

They might use this as a "fix" for some of the engine problems under warranty.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

changed oil and filter and installed the shelby remote clutch reservoir

IMG_6256_zpsoaw7zsnu.jpg
P1020373_zpsbgmztsmv.jpg
P1020377_zpsvfy24wdz.jpg
IMG_6257_zps2tlxbgmw.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Disassembled the Instrument Panel thas afternoon, next up is drilling the top of the dash pad. I have to pause here to think about how I want to position the LS gauge pod.

Do I want it as installed on the 2012 LS DP? Or, should I see if I can canter the mount slightly toward the Driver's line of sight? Guess I'll have play around with the positioning of the Gauge Pod and then sleep on it. I only have one shot at getting this right!

302 Hi Pro

Steve (pufferfish) installed his LS pod without drilling the dash. He used sticky velcro to mount the pod on the dash and run the cables through the dash towards the bottom of the windshield.

This is a temporary solution and can be reversed easily. Since it's velcro, you can point the gauges towards you at the track and move it back straight, if it bothers you on the street.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Hi FDS:

Thanks for the alternative gauge pod tip! But in my case, this will be a permanent fixture on my 2012 Boss 302. Knowing this helped me justify the added expense of the Ford Racing accessory gauge pod unit with the OEM wiring harness.

I need to give a special shout out to TMO Member wwilde001 for his help in providing me with a .pdf copy of the FRPP instruction set containing Hi-Res Photos, and his own installation tips Word document. Both docs were most helpful in clearing up a few install steps that are somewhat lacking in the FRPP instruction set.

Next step? Cutting up the Dash Pad! (Hahahah)

302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors