The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy 5th Birthday #510!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Fabman said:
The car is basically built, all that's left is upgrades.
Not sure that warrants a whole build thread...but if that's the right thing to do I can do it retrospectively.

Hi Fabman:

I think you should start a separate thread for your Mustang. You have a real nice Mustang and my thought is that a separate Build Thread will document your cars build and race history. It's a way to memorialize your Mustang.

Plus, your mods, pics and descriptions are most interesting. You do good work, and your trunk mounted diff housing breather looks fine, good actually.

Good luck with your 2016 race season,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
voodoo child21 said:
A little exterior mod hinting the direction that Red 21 is going. 1969 Candy Apple Red used by the Wood Brothers on Cale Yarborough's Mercury Cyclone Spoiler IIs More to follow today, with a little more function in addition to form.
Steve

Cale Yarborough and the Wood Brothers, that was a wining combination. Fast Car, Fast Driver.

Red 21 is looking good, look forward to the new pics.

302 Hi Pro

I got my Boss 302 owners kit from Ford Show Parts.
I need to figure out the correct font to have key chain engraved, find a '12 book & a clean '12 owner's manual supplement.
Then I need to get both front splitters.
I got a head start on getting a GT350 by getting the GT350 business card holder with my Boss 302 owners kit.

Racerpilotalan said:
I got my Boss 302 owners kit from Ford Show Parts.
I need to figure out the correct font to have key chain engraved, find a '12 book & a clean '12 owner's manual supplement.
Then I need to get both front splitters.
I got a head start on getting a GT350 by getting the GT350 business card holder with my Boss 302 owners kit.
What splitter is on your LS now?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Battery maintenance for the Boss and FakeR. :p
Topped off electrolyte. Checked specific gravity in all cells. Cycle battery and recharge.

GT battery getting a little tired nearing 6 yrs. Boss still going strong at 5 yrs. GT 'eye' still shows green, but uncorrected SG in the 1250s or just out of the green on the hydrometer.

Woke up this morning and felt the need for speed, or a little faster than my 04 F150. I got caught in a huge thunder storm for about 10 miles. This is the first time in the rain. PZeros did pretty good of course I drove a bit slower. What is the stock camber setting for a 2012 LS?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Burned a 1/4" hole in one of my old Boss shirts from doing previously mentioned battery maintenance. :-[

Old clothes and fender covers are a must when working with battery acid!

Installed a KNN filter. I noticed under hard acceleration my air condition would blow warm air. I thought this was weird. I added some Freon and it fixed the problem. I never seen or heard of that. Has anyone used a GT 350 drivers side air oil separator on a Boss?

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Silver LS said:
Installed a KNN filter. I noticed under hard acceleration my air condition would blow warm air. I thought this was weird. I added some Freon and it fixed the problem. I never seen or heard of that. Has anyone used a GT 350 drivers side air oil separator on a Boss?

A/C compressor shuts off under full throttle-discussed in your owner's manual.

Dropped car off at mechanic's shop to try to fix the high rpm shifting issues (again). Spec Stage 1 clutch and alloy flywheel didn't solve it so he is going to remove them, take measurements, talk to Spec (who recommended that setup to cure the lockout issue), then figure out what is up. Also replacing the slave cylinder just in case the new one (that was installed with the clutch) is defective or something.

Champale said:
Dropped car off at mechanic's shop to try to fix the high rpm shifting issues (again). Spec Stage 1 clutch and alloy flywheel didn't solve it so he is going to remove them, take measurements, talk to Spec (who recommended that setup to cure the lockout issue), then figure out what is up. Also replacing the slave cylinder just in case the new one (that was installed with the clutch) is defective or something.
Bummer. The twin disc clutches seem to work better with the MT-82. Forget what most of the race cars use because they aren't running the MT-82.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Champale said:

Possible damage to syncros. If you had lockout for some time, damage to syncros could have occurred.

I have driven cars with bad synchros and my car isn't exhibiting the same symptoms so hopefully that's not what is going on. My car just refuses to allow quick high rpm (7k+) shifts at all - you have to wait a second or so before it will allow the lever to get into the next gear. No grinding. Spec itself and Steve@Blowfish recommended the Spec Stg 1 to cure the issue so hopefully it's something simple like a bad slave.

Champale said:
I have driven cars with bad synchros and my car isn't exhibiting the same symptoms so hopefully that's not what is going on. My car just refuses to allow quick high rpm (7k+) shifts at all - you have to wait a second or so before it will allow the lever to get into the next gear. No grinding. Spec itself and Steve@Blowfish recommended the Spec Stg 1 to cure the issue so hopefully it's something simple like a bad slave.

An upgrade over the stock shifter may help as well. I held off for a long time on it, but installed an MGW shifter and am very pleased. Used to suffer lock outs at high RPMS and hard shifts and other little annoyances that the flimsy multi-link stock shifter. I actually though half the problem was operator error, but the MGW was night and day for me. Definitely lose the stock NVH free feel of the stock unit, but way better feeling shifter.

Update: picked the car up this afternoon and it still locks me out. My mechanic even spoke to Spec this morning to confirm some things, installed a new factory slave/throwout bearing, and bled the system. I have an email in to Spec to see what they say.

And, unfortunately, I have done so much already to solve this issue including first gen MGW, Blowfish bracket, Whiteline bushing, stainless clutch line, but nothing has solved it.

My hands are thrown up in the air!

TMO Supporting Vendors