The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_webb said:
Replaced the air filter in my 08 Bullitt...finally. The Bullitt came from the factory with a K&N air filter which was a constant point of contention with dealerships whenever I brought my car in for scheduled maintenance...they always claimed it was an aftermarket part that I installed, I would have to prove to them that it wasn't, then they would scratch their head and play dumb. So not a single dealership ever serviced or replaced the air filter even though it was required per Ford's scheduled maintenance program that I paid for. So after nearly nine years I figured I should by a new one. ;D I could've cleaned the original but...umm...yeah...
Welcome to TMO. If you get a chance introduce yourself and post some photos of your car. Which part of CA are you from?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3503.msg166313#new

dmfracer said:
I did go with the full Mishimoto kit - that mounting bracket is expensive! If I had more time I would have bought just the cooler, lines and adapter plate and made my own mount. I've tracked a few cars but never an S197 Mustang so I have been doing a lot of reading here and trying to make sure I have the basics covered for track prepping the car.

Be careful what oil filter you use with this adaptor plate. The thermostat cap hex does not sit flush with the plate so the hex point sticks beyond the plate and will keep the Ford Racing oil filter FL-820S from sealing all the way around and cause oil leakage. Mishimoto is terrible for customer service. They just assume all M22x1.5 thread filters will fit. You have to use the stock size FL-500 or grind the tip flush with the plate. I only made sure the gasket sealed around the ID and didn't even look at the outer stell edge of the filter hitting and had an oil leakage issue, luckily found before going to the track

bulldogracer said:
Be careful what oil filter you use with this adaptor plate. The thermostat cap hex does not sit flush with the plate so the hex point sticks beyond the plate and will keep the Ford Racing oil filter FL-820S from sealing all the way around and cause oil leakage. Mishimoto is terrible for customer service. They just assume all M22x1.5 thread filters will fit. You have to use the stock size FL-500 or grind the tip flush with the plate. I only made sure the gasket sealed around the ID and didn't even look at the outer stell edge of the filter hitting and had an oil leakage issue, luckily found before going to the track

Thanks for this info!
Always wondered why the FR filter didnt work with the mishimoto thermostat plate...

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure keep using the right filter.

FL500S%20filter_zpsmqx4usw6.jpg

bulldogracer said:

I finally picked it up and proud to be a new BOSS 302 owner ;) @VoodooBOSS , thanks again for connecting me with Dave!

Proud owner of a 2013 Performance White Boss 302 #356. Fully optioned car (Recaros, Torsen, car cover, and floor mats) that has just barely been broken in @ 3200 miles by the time I got home. Can't wait to start enjoying this bad boy!

Sydewaysix said:
I finally picked it up and proud to be a new BOSS 302 owner ;) @VoodooBOSS , thanks again for connecting me with Dave!

Proud owner of a 2013 Performance White Boss 302 #356. Fully optioned car (Recaros, Torsen, car cover, and floor mats) that has just barely been broken in @ 3200 miles by the time I got home. Can't wait to start enjoying this bad boy!
Congratulations! Dave is going to owe me a beer. Did he show you his FGT? Let's get some photos posted...

I owe you a beer too! I saw Dave's entire fleet of toys when I visited on Sunday. One word, AMAZING! He can have a car show of his own just in his driveway ;D He's a great guy!

Haven't had a chance to snap many pictures yet since I still need to shine her up after getting all the bug splash on my drive home, but I did take a few.

Of course, the little one was proud to be holding the TracKey of his future car (he actually understands what it does more than my wife haha!). Right when he got home from school and saw the Boss in the garage, his reaction was epic!
BF6C18D9-CDD3-449C-8C5D-D0DCFD59D11A_zpsw0phn7f1.jpg

Me and Wayne Carini from "Chasing Classic Cars"...I mean Dave ;D I'm sure he was initially wondering what someone like myself would want a specialty mustang for haha. But I grew up around American Muscle and have been a Mustang fan since I was very youung (I'm not a fan of imports other than for commuting).

0E3B9548-9140-4F8C-995D-F1B2E2DA2FA8_zpsvzv8skp8.jpg

And of course, here she is hibernating alongside some of the finest vehicles I've seen (unfortunately you can't see what else is in his garage :-X)

00F85159-654C-4557-9278-D88D48F93EAC_zpskm4k1gc7.jpg

5FDE8E99-0C68-4D57-844E-9B93D50E25E1_zpsaq3feeyb.jpg

Started a Google Docs spreadsheet for the Boss so I can easily log all my activities/work on the car through my phone. My wife thinks it's ridiculous, but say in 10+ yrs, if I continue to log all the maintenance and events the car has encountered, I think looking back at the history log with actual date/mileage would be pretty cool 8)

Sydewaysix said:
Started a Google Docs spreadsheet for the Boss so I can easily log all my activities/work on the car through my phone. My wife thinks it's ridiculous, but say in 10+ yrs, if I continue to log all the maintenance and events the car has encountered, I think looking back at the history log with actual date/mileage would be pretty cool 8)

I wished I had done this. It would have really helped keep track of what I had done for track events. Could have tracked things such as how long a certain brake or rotor lasted.

Drove about 240 miles through the beautiful middle Tennessee countryside. I did get caught in about 25 miles of interstate bumper to bumper stop and go. I recently installed the Steeda clutch spring and it worked great in traffic. Much better feel. This was not the preferred play ground for the Boss, got some thumbs up. Car still gets attention. Great for a old guys ego!

Came home after a long day of activities to a package in the mail...my custom 2013 fog light delete plates! Popped them into place and viola! Very pleased with how they finish up the look of the front grill 8)

08C63AB0-265E-491E-BE5A-47990D3341E4_zps46v0tfs6.jpg

A23A91FD-D496-4D60-84A5-8EF32C494CBB_zpsmewrbeql.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors