The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydewaysix said:
Honestly, I'm not sure whether the oil will affect warranty or not. Many people run Mobile 1 which is not the factory recommended oil either. Maybe @VoodooBOSS can chime in about his experience getting his motor replaced under warranty.
My local dealer changes my oil with FR50 at my request.......

Sydewaysix said:
Honestly, I'm not sure whether the oil will affect warranty or not. Many people run Mobile 1 which is not the factory recommended oil either. Maybe @VoodooBOSS can chime in about his experience getting his motor replaced under warranty.
I always ran Motorcraft 5-50 in my Boss including when it blew. ;) I'm not joining the oil debate other than any of the top quality oils will be fine.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
VoodooBOSS said:
I always ran Motorcraft 5-50 in my Boss including when it blew. ;) I'm not joining the oil debate other than any of the top quality oils will be fine.

Me either, but FWIW JDM Engineering (built my stroker) likes 5/50 Motorcraft para synthetic (GT500 oil).
I asked about full synthetic and he said they had better results with the para synthetic.
I don't know why, but I do as I'm told. Those guys are pretty smart over there.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
VoodooBOSS said:
I thought the GT500, Boss and GT350 all used the same oil?
I couldn't tell you....but in 2006 when the old 3 Valves like mine were made, well that was a different time and a different oil.
So an upgrade to the current stock oil is what he recommended. Same with filters.
He said to use [SIZE=small]stock[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Ford filters, the FRPP ones were a little bigger b[/SIZE][SIZE=small]ut basically[/SIZE][SIZE=small] the same filter and not really worth the extra money in my case. That was a VERY expensive motor they built for me from pan to valve cover, and all brand new. Not one bolt was used, so with an investment like that you know he'd have me use whatever he thought was best for me.[/SIZE]

When I asked Eric over at JPC what oil they recommended running he basically said use whichever one you want to as long as it isn't some cheap stuff, but since you are going to race it stick with the 5W-50 and run that so I grabbed some Castrol that meets Fords specs for the motor.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Sydewaysix said:
One other thing I did today. I received my Boss 302 Registry certificate and decal in the mail and slapped it on the car after she got washed. I haven't seen a thread on TMO regarding this registry, but I believe it just recently opened up sometime in August. For all the current BOSS 302 owners, I'd recommend registering your car! Even if you decide to sell it later down the line, your name will always be tied to the car which makes for good history/traceability for future owners :)

One thing I don't care too much for is that the decal has your registry number (#0065), whereas I think it would be better if it had the Boss ID # instead. Oh well! :p

1410E578-852C-49CC-BE07-ED7AAB3FC2C0_zpsrxerbrqe.jpg

59802E7E-2B0F-4C77-8922-94966626FE99_zps6kclgpzk.jpg

This Registry is found here, it's Authorized by Ford Motor Company:

http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/19123-official-ford-authorized-boss-302-registry-live/

I like the placement location of the Registry sticker.
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors