The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Since I have access to Spicer Driveline parts at great prices I ordered a 3.5" aluminum prop shaft.
Nice piece, you can feel the mid mount bearing/support is gone that's a good thing, but it transmits more noise into the vehicle.
Completely acceptable to me.
Car is TP14 with no suspension mods and MGW RS.
The car should have shipped this way.

de6c592a27d419dcbb4f070e399528e3.jpg

M91196 said:
Since I have access to Spicer Driveline parts at great prices I ordered a 3.5" aluminum prop shaft.
Nice piece, you can feel the mid mount bearing/support is gone that's a good thing, but it transmits more noise into the vehicle.

de6c592a27d419dcbb4f070e399528e3.jpg

I have the same shaft. Just had it installed. I'm happy so far....

M91196 said:

Can you get this in a 4.0" diameter? What about 7075 Al instead of 6061? I guess you can get 4.0".
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdh-10001797

Tim

thehueypilot said:
Can you get this in a 4.0" diameter? What about 7075 Al instead of 6061? I guess you can get 4.0".
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdh-10001797

Tim

I think the higher strength alloys are going to be found in the boutique and true race brands and custom builds.
Spicer will be 6061 and I am guessing all the other $6-700 retail will be similar.
87577865590c11a9965039beb5c59037.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Is the Dana 1-Piece Aluminum DS, (above), the same unit offered by Ford Performance in 3.5" diameter size? It's nice that this unit is a direct bolt-on replacement.

I have a 4.0" 1-Piece Aluminum DS from Axle Exchange, (AE), which is a very nice unit, but it required me to change out the Pinion flange to mount it. (The AE DS is a very high quality unit, but had this unit been available at the time, I'd be running the Dana unit due to OEM pinion flange compatibility.)

Also, I found the response to WOT acceleration was noticeably improved and it's a performance mod that you can actually feel. On a standing start WOT, you can actually see the leading edge of the hood "jump up", (resultant weight transfer), as the Boss hooks.

This is a must do mod for those of us who are Performance minded mod-sters. Last, I would have to agree with the Dana promo piece, (see above post), it did reduced NVH in my particular 2012 Boss 302.

Good luck out there, have fun,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Is the Dana 1-Piece Aluminum DS, (above), the same unit offered by Ford Performance in 3.5" diameter size? It's nice that this unit is a direct bolt-on replacement.

I have a 4.0" 1-Piece Aluminum DS from Axle Exchange, (AE), which is a very nice unit, but it required me to change out the Pinion flange to mount it. (The AE DS is a very high quality unit, but had this unit been available at the time, I'd be running the Dana unit due to OEM pinion flange compatibility.)

Also, I found the response to WOT acceleration was noticeably improved and it's a performance mod that you can actually feel. On a standing start WOT, you can actually see the leading edge of the hood "jump up", (resultant weight transfer), as the Boss hooks.

This is a must do mod for those of us who are Performance minded mod-sters. Last, I would have to agree with the Dana promo piece, (see above post), it did reduced NVH in my particular 2012 Boss 302.

302 Hi Pro
Yes, they are the same unit. I spoke with Dana/Spicer about this at SEMA last year. They openly confirmed it. It looks like Ford Performance has added other applications (GT500,ect...) to their offerings as well.

302 Hi Pro said:

302 Hi Pro

I am not a track rat, just a spirited street driver, so I didn't want to ramble on and on but I agree 100% with your performance observations. Recommend swapping out the factory 2 piece.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
New rotors for the FakeR on Saturday. Too much rain yesterday and today to change the oil for both. At least it's very welcome rain here...

Still have two sets of the 'old' dba 4000 6x6 slots to burn through:
30463439916_104c06921d.jpg

Instead of zip-tying the calipers, I use a ~1' section of 2x4 to prop it up:
30463438526_77ec263fb0.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Odd we haven't had snow yet here in Colorado but am prepping the Boss for hibernation. Changed the oil and filter, lubed every zerk fitting in my modified suspension and bought some Sta-Bil for the tank. Checked all the fluids and topped everything off. Contemplating of buying some Cquartz and attempting to do the coating myself.

Got my Boss Registry in the mail this week, #0092.

For the NJ Boss owners I think it's fine on the windshield, it's well below the clear part of the windshield.

Here's what mine looks like.

7EF74244-05E3-4092-A57F-48BFF171FD28_zpszi0sdorm.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
DIY aerosol clear coat respray on the FakeR's front bumper. Just wanted to test if this could work, before reworking the whole bumper or going down through the basecoat and re-shooting in the affected areas and a full re-clear. The damage didn't appear to be affecting the base coat, but crazing in the clear was pretty bad. I just knocked down the upper oxidized layer with a 1500 grit wet sand. Didn't remove the crazing as I didn't want to burn through the base. 'Back-taped' around the affected areas and re-shot clear. A couple of light coats followed by a 'flow' coat. Wet sanded 24 hours later. Finished up with a fine-cut polish and glaze.

6 years of SoCal sun damage:
30685860412_de59ac6e6c_z.jpg

30802887555_9fb62dd73d_z.jpg

Good enough for a temporary fix:
30685859412_908247995c_z.jpg

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Replaced the stock H and side pipes with the Ford Performance X pipe. Really made a huge difference in cabin noise. The goal is to make sound limit at a local AZ track up in PHX since NASA is scheduled to run it a couple times next season. Will need to put the stock mufflers back on for those events

drano38

Wayne
Got the airbag recall done today. Service staff said the Boss got plenty of looks while it sat on their lot most of the day. Could also be standard sales tactic to get me interested in something new on their lot.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Grant:

Nice work on the paint work. It looks like a show shine in the pic.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5779/30685859412_908247995c_z.jpg

2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors