The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Wednesday is "car night" where me and me mates get kitchen passes and get together to drink beer and work on our cars. I finally got all of my parts together and tonight will be installing my home-brew 302S/R racing-style breather. I will post issues, updates, and results in the oil separator thread in the next day or two.

A note about waiting on parts in this age of instant gratification. I ordered the catch can from Amazon and got it in two days. I ordered most other parts from Summit, requested Ground shipping, and still get them the next day in most cases (three orders). I ordered a couple of OEM parts from FordPartsGiant.com and look at this tracking:

1/15/2013 3:06:00 PM DELIVERED AUSTIN, TX, US
1/15/2013 4:43:00 AM OUT FOR DELIVERY AUSTIN, TX, US
1/15/2013 3:32:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN AUSTIN, TX, US
1/15/2013 1:25:00 AM DEPARTURE SCAN SAN ANTONIO, TX, US
1/14/2013 9:49:00 PM ARRIVAL SCAN SAN ANTONIO, TX, US
1/14/2013 11:36:00 AM DEPARTURE SCAN JACKSON, MS, US
1/14/2013 10:17:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN JACKSON, MS, US
1/14/2013 3:14:00 AM DEPARTURE SCAN ATLANTA, GA, US
1/11/2013 11:05:00 PM ARRIVAL SCAN ATLANTA, GA, US
1/11/2013 10:35:00 PM DEPARTURE SCAN FOREST PARK, GA, US
1/11/2013 7:27:00 PM ORIGIN SCAN FOREST PARK, GA, US
1/11/2013 5:40:00 PM PICKUP SCAN FOREST PARK, GA, US
1/11/2013 10:19:44 AM BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED US

:eek: Did they stick it on Willie Nelson's tour bus or something? Maddening.

Jimmy

Sesshomurai

That's funny. lol

Summit is great on shipping. I'm amazed how they do it....I've had stuff arrive in LESS THAN 24 hours.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything

Oh yeah? Well I had stuff from Summit show up before I even ordered it! ;D

Very minor mod compared to what most of you do;
Installed Redline hood struts. Painted the lower brackets to match & removed the decals from the struts.
Will add the prop rod to my removed parts pile ;D
DSC05674_zpsd9a2f0ea.jpg

Installed a set of RedLIne hood struts..Easy instal and looks great. Well pleased with them...Washed and Waxed the entire car..trying to decide if I wanna remove the sound tube...I did remove the plates and really like the sound..

Finally washed...spent 90% of the time getting track runner off the front, quarters and rockers. Black stands out in SBY extremely well. Second to PW I suppose.

Man, its enough to consider looking into 3m clear film or something.
Bra would be nice...got 1600 miles, three track days and two chips in the paint.
Whatevers...ain't going to stay pretty I suppose.

Tulsa, OK

Two new sets of 18x10 SVE drifts- one set is mounted on 275/40/18 Nitto NT05s and the other set is mounted on 275/35/18 Hoosier R6s.

20130120_1154.jpg

20130120_1160.jpg

20130120_1178.jpg

20130120_1193.jpg

Tulsa, OK

Keavdog said:
Finally washed...spent 90% of the time getting track runner off the front, quarters and rockers. Black stands out in SBY extremely well. Second to PW I suppose.

Man, its enough to consider looking into 3m clear film or something.
Bra would be nice...got 1600 miles, three track days and two chips in the paint.
Whatevers...ain't going to stay pretty I suppose.

Agreed, that's one thing I hate about washing my car. I always find a new chip or scratch or some type of imperfection. Oh well...

Logan, I'm not sure where you live but I've read you don't want those Hoosiers to get too cold. Many keep them stored in their homes during the Winter.

Tulsa, OK

NFSBOSS said:
Logan, I'm not sure where you live but I've read you don't want those Hoosiers to get too cold. Many keep them stored in their homes during the Winter.

I do keep them stored inside but thanks for the heads up Rick. I had them mounted yesterday and they hung out in the garage for a bit.

It tends to get a little chilly in Oklahoma. And temperatures fluctuate drastically in a short amount of time.

We have had 8 inches of rain in Mississippi since Dec 31. It is the first sunny DRY day since then and 60 degrees. I needed a little glass fuse for my golf cart radio, well what car do I use to get it. Ask my wife to take a ride, dont get to see her alot with my job, so we went. Completely enjoyed the ride grabbing some gears with my girl by my side. The boss was great and never enjoyed just flushing a few gallons threw her, the car that is. What a car. Getting ready to do a few mods. setting it up for drag racing as it is my favorite automotive sport. Will let you know of the mods and results.

Today I finished the install of my Steeda engine mounts. I took a slightly different approach to changing the mounts. I had uncooperative bolt on the engine bracket that the engine mount bolts to. I took a dremel to the studs on top of the engine mounts and was able to raise the engine high enough to swap the mounts without removing the brackets that bolt to the engine block. A way that is much quicker and requires less knuckle juice. The only thing is that the two engine mounts are now in five pieces as I had to dremel the drivers side mount in two in order to remove it.

You can feel a bit of a shimmy when you first turn on the car, as well as when you're releasing the clutch from a stop without the gas, and there is a barely noticeable shake at idle (non-track key) which I think follows suit with the rest of the character of the car. To me, it is a benefit, but perhaps a drawback for some.

The real story is that the mt82 finally feels like a real gearbox now. The only fault I now have with it is that it feels like I should double clutch my downshifts to fifth. All the gears are still where you left them instead of moving around like before. Shifting is much easier and much more enjoyable. The torque output, which was a bit elastic at throttle tip in, now feels more solid and responsive. I dropped the engine a 1/4 inch as well. The front end feels more nimble now; I won't be able to tell if there is more grip since I also changed the tires after my last time autocrossing.

The other thing is that I think the old engine mounts may have been the cause of gearbox failure. Fifth gear would grind at just 13000 miles. It has been fixed and we will see in another 13000 if the issue pops up again.

Edit: Nice wheels Roadhouse, I was thinking about getting the SVE drift wheels too.

TMO Supporting Vendors