The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Justin said:
divide by 12 and you get foot lbs

I've used that method in the past but my current torque wrench is a harbor freight special that I don't think I want to trust with accuracy on such a low setting. I cracked an aluminum intake on my first 87 nothback many years ago so I'm pretty cautious anymore when it comes to torquing aluminum. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

KBBOSS1086 said:
I've used that method in the past but my current torque wrench is a harbor freight special that I don't think I want to trust with accuracy on such a low setting. I cracked an aluminum intake on my first 87 nothback many years ago so I'm pretty cautious anymore when it comes to torquing aluminum. Thanks for the suggestion though.
yeah I wouldnt trust that one either.

Had to go to visit a friend in at the hospital in Paterson NJ last night. Real freakin shady part of town if anyone knows that town. The ticket booth attendant I guess was a mustang fan and let me park in the employee section in a reserved spot. Dude was totally cool, I flipped him a sawbuck n said thanks. No dings and my Loretta felt completely safe :)

Planning on leaving southern Wisconsin next Wednesday AM for a long haul to Carlisle, PA for the all Ford show...so we spent some coin on a the XPEL Ultimate clear front end protection kit.

Had it installed on the front bumper cover, fenders, hood, A-pillars, roof, mirrors and rockers. Expensive, but well worth the protection in my eyes. I would highly recommend this system over others on the market. The film is crystal clear, and also is self healing.

What did you do to your boss today?

mardis said:
Planning on leaving southern Wisconsin next Wednesday AM for a long haul to Carlisle, PA for the all Ford show...so we spent some coin on a the XPEL Ultimate clear front end protection kit.

Had it installed on the front bumper cover, fenders, hood, A-pillars, roof, mirrors and rockers. Expensive, but well worth the protection in my eyes. I would highly recommend this system over others on the market. The film is crystal clear, and also is self healing.
I have just been researching as much of this as I can find. Have been wondering is $600-700 is worth it with self-install, over a $210 kit from Ventureshield. I like the self healing properties of xpel and it seems to be the high-end choice

racered302 said:
Swapped out my mufflers for the GT500's, does sound a little deeper and louder, but not to loud. No drone on the highway. Driver side was a PITA and had to move what ever that bar is called, parallel to the panhard bar to get it in. It's done and it looks nicer than stock.

Update: Found that these do drone a ~40mph @ ~2500rpm with the windows down and the sides wide open. I'm going to do some on-the-fly tuning with the QTP's remote and see what I can do about it. That will drive my wife crazy, I don't need that.

mardis said:

I'll be there saturday, I'd like to check this out. How does it react to washing, polishing and waxing? When it new I'm sure it looks great but I wonder what happens over time. Is it as hard as clear coat?

steveespo said:
Began repair work, removed what was left of front fascia, removed rear bumper cover. Took all my personal stuff and spare slicks out of my truck and brought them home.
Therapy.
Steve

What happened? I guess I missed the post. I'll go look for it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

steveespo said:
Began repair work, removed what was left of front fascia, removed rear bumper cover. Took all my personal stuff and spare slicks out of my truck and brought them home.
Therapy.
Steve

Oh no. You physically OK?

Glenn

Still plays with cars...
Omaha

Washed and detailed, installed JLT catch can and front splash guards - guards look nice, they match the stock ones on the rear wheel wells. Pulled the fuel rail covers, starting to sound more like a muscle car. Next up when I can find the time, GT 500 single outlet mufflers and 5/8" side pipe discs.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

ArizonaGT said:
Oh no. You physically OK?

Sorry thought everyone might have heard. On Sunday night returning from VIR my trailer was rear ended and I was jackknifed around. Other driver ran up the left side of the trailer knocking the Mustang sideways halfway off the trailer, thank God the front straps held. Damage to the Mustang is left quarter and doo, right fender, rear bumper cover, all of the front plastic except the grille. Rest of the car is good about $10k worth of damage.

Truck and trailer are both totaled. The truck has damage on every panel except the hood. Frame in the rear is twisted. Every wheel damaged, 2 are shattered. Airbags went off. Trailer has both axles bent, wheels banged and the triangle part of the frame was ripped off by the hitch spring bar.

Only me and the other driver involved, I was 5 miles from home on I95. Miracle no other cars hit us. No injuries, I hit my head on the drivers side airbag curtain, saved me from serious head injury, also have a seatbelt stripe on my next. That's it. Many members, friends and the insurance agents at Progressive have been terrific. I will try and get some pics up soon. I'll start a rehab thread.
Thanks to all.
Steve

Glenn

Still plays with cars...
Omaha

steveespo said:
Sorry thought everyone might have heard. On Sunday night returning from VIR my trailer was rear ended and I was jackknifed around. Other driver ran up the left side of the trailer knocking the Mustang sideways halfway off the trailer, thank God the front straps held. Damage to the Mustang is left quarter and doo, right fender, rear bumper cover, all of the front plastic except the grille. Rest of the car is good about $10k worth of damage.

Truck and trailer are both totaled. The truck has damage on every panel except the hood. Frame in the rear is twisted. Every wheel damaged, 2 are shattered. Airbags went off. Trailer has both axles bent, wheels banged and the triangle part of the frame was ripped off by the hitch spring bar.

Only me and the other driver involved, I was 5 miles from home on I95. Miracle no other cars hit us. No injuries, I hit my head on the drivers side airbag curtain, saved me from serious head injury, also have a seatbelt stripe on my next. That's it. Many members, friends and the insurance agents at Progressive have been terrific. I will try and get some pics up soon. I'll start a rehab thread.
Thanks to all.
Steve

Damn, sorry to hear of your losses, but glad you are OK. Thank goodness for that airbag curtain...I wish you all the best.

All the material thing are replaceable, really sorry to hear that happened but at least your ok. Side curtain airbags saved my daughters coconut a couple of months back, no idea what would have happened with out it. Good luck Steve, hope things work out for you. There are a lot of bone headed drivers on the road, I see them every day.

drano38

Wayne

Steve,
Sorry to hear about the accident.
Glad you're ok. Agree with others--vehicles are easy to fix, people much harder.

Today, I finished the rear Koni yellow shocks, Steeda Sport springs, FRPP LCA brackets, UMI LCAs.
Sunday, start on the Whiteline Watts link.
Won't get started until mid-afternoon. In the morning I'm going over to my parents for an impromptu and small 85th birthday party for my Dad.

Tulsa, OK

Sucks to hear the extent of the damage Steve. Good luck getting everything sorted and as others have said, the most important thing is you're still in one piece.

I installed a Steeda spoiler on my car today. I think it turned out really nice. Still need to find something to plug the two outside holes on the trunk though...

Should have my MM roll bar back from the powdercoater early next week. I decided to switch up the color at the last minute and went with "safety orange," which is dang close to OSU orange :) Maybe by next weekend I can have my car put back together and drive it for once.

FCF-B31741D0DF0A-1022-0000011A3E5D13A5_zpsab992bff.jpg

543-1B26A263A24D-1022-0000011A351A6545_zps358ef129.jpg

E72-2C51C70DF0B7-1022-0000011A2A2EC751_zpsf1e76820.jpg

Dang Steve sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you aren't hurt to badly.

Logan, the spoiler looks great. I've been debating switching to the Steeda spoiler. So the outer holes aren't covered by the new spoiler ?

I spent a few hours with my Dremel turning an extra Boss grille into a 302S grille. Just need to cut out a few more sections and get some wire mesh for the fog light holes.

TMO Supporting Vendors