The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who's going to trade up now to a GT350???? Have to ask on this part of the site.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabossinne said:
Porsche has offered its PCCBs as a ultra-high cost option since 2000. In the P-car community opinions on PCCB are at best mixed, as expressed in an article "Life With PCCB" in the current issue of Porsche Panorama. At $17,800 to replace a worn set of PCCBs, according to the author, who regularly tracks his PCCB-shod Boxster S, "I learned a lot about brakes during my PCCB adventure. Would I order ceramic-composite brakes again? No. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there for me."
Do you have a link to this article?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
dabossinne said:
Porsche has offered its PCCBs as a ultra-high cost option since 2000. In the P-car community opinions on PCCB are at best mixed, as expressed in an article "Life With PCCB" in the current issue of Porsche Panorama. At $17,800 to replace a worn set of PCCBs, according to the author, who regularly tracks his PCCB-shod Boxster S, "I learned a lot about brakes during my PCCB adventure. Would I order ceramic-composite brakes again? No. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there for me."

I've read and heard those stories, hence my concern. While I am confident that any Ford product would be cheaper to replace, even at 1/4 the price for replacement, I'd still look for a different rotor if CCBs were standard. I'm actually thankful that Porsche has brought such features to street cars, they just don't appeal to me aside from bling factor.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Yea I'm now thinking my $60K entry point might be a kiss high. I don't think it will be below $55K though.
I keep 'playing' with the numbers...

'11 Premium GT base delivered was $33,695.
'12 Boss base delivered was $41,105
'15 Premium GT base is $36,100 (I assume delivered)
'15 Base GT is $32,100 (again assume delivered)
Current GT Perf. Pack is $2,495
Current Recaro is $1,595 (same delta for Base and Premium) Used to be $1,695 IIRC.

The Base Boss was about $10k over a Base GT and about $8,000 over the Base PremiumGT. This assumes all engine, suspension, part and development costs.

Starting with the '15 GT Premium:
.................................$36,100
Boss to GTP Delta........$ 8,000
MagneRide..................$ 2,500 delta over the Boss Tokicos
New Recaros say ........$ 2,000 since they're upgraded a bit more
Brake delta..................$ 3,000
Front End & Body........$ 2,500 Delta for panels, etc. add for CF.
Tire delta....................$ 500 Delta over Boss P Zeros
--------------------------------------
MSRP Total $52,800

If I start with the Base GT and the 10k delta, the price is 2k less...

Grant 302 said:
I keep 'playing' with the numbers...

'11 Premium GT base delivered was $33,695.
'12 Boss base delivered was $41,105
'15 Premium GT base is $36,100 (I assume delivered)
'15 Base GT is $32,100 (again assume delivered)
Current GT Perf. Pack is $2,495
Current Recaro is $1,595 (same delta for Base and Premium) Used to be $1,695 IIRC.

The Base Boss was about $10k over a Base GT and about $8,000 over the Base PremiumGT. This assumes all engine, suspension, part and development costs.

Starting with the '15 GT Premium:
.................................$36,100
Boss to GTP Delta........$ 8,000
MagneRide..................$ 2,500 delta over the Boss Tokicos
New Recaros say ........$ 2,000 since they're upgraded a bit more
Brake delta..................$ 3,000
Front End & Body........$ 2,500 Delta for panels, etc. add for CF.
Tire delta....................$ 500 Delta over Boss P Zeros
--------------------------------------
MSRP Total $52,800

If I start with the Base GT and the 10k delta, the price is 2k less...
That's a really good analysis and I hope you're right.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
At first I thought 65K on average price, but some of this discussion makes me think it might be less. When I think back about the GT500 pricing, I think Ford might take the same approach. Base Brice in high fifties, then a few "must have" option packages, (like the GT500), and boom right back at
65-67K USD.

So in the end what ever the price is, it will be worth the price for me. It's the engine that attracts me, a 5.2l V8 that might spin to 8,200 RPM's??? Now you have my attention.

Anyone have any tech specs on the engine?

Thank you,
Dave
2HP

Totally depends on price.

At $50-55k, I would likely trade the Boss in on it. At $55-60k, if it offered Z28 or better performance, I'd consider it. Anything north of low $60's, no way. I just can't see spending that kind of coin on a pony car, which is why I got the Boss and not a GT500 in the first place.

Rich_S said:
At $55-60k, if it offered Z28 or better performance, I'd consider it. Anything north of low $60's, no way.
The stock GT350 is NOT going to beat the stock Z/28. All other things considered it doesn't have the R Comp tires to match it. With the same R Comp tires it should be a drivers race. The GT350R will be the Z/28 killer but at $10K more and similar pricing as the Z.

NFSBOSS said:
The stock GT350 is NOT going to beat the stock Z/28. All other things considered it doesn't have the R Comp tires to match it. With the same R Comp tires it should be a drivers race. The GT350R will be the Z/28 killer but at $10K more and similar pricing as the Z.

Is the GT350R going to be a hotter but still street legal version (like the Boss Laguna Seca) or race only (like the 302R/302S)?

302 Hi Pro said:
So in the end what ever the price is, it will be worth the price for me. It's the engine that attracts me, a 5.2l V8 that might spin to 8,200 RPM's??? Now you have my attention.

Anyone have any tech specs on the engine?

Thank you,
Dave
2HP

Good article here concerning the new 5.2L FP Voodoo: http://articles.sae.org/13709/

There's also a YouTube audio clip half way down the page. This new GT350 howls!

When/if the Boss 302 engine bites the dust, I might consider putting a GT350 voodoo engine in my Boss and then I will call her Boss 318 8)

I assume it can be retrofited in S197 Mustangs!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
CA302LS said:
Good article here concerning the new 5.2L FP Voodoo: http://articles.sae.org/13709/

There's also a YouTube audio clip half way down the page. This new GT350 howls!

CA302LS:

Nice 5.2l article. One of the links to the new PTWA plasma sprayed cylinder liners was most interesting.

Next time I see a Nissan GT-R, I'll think of Ford Cylinder Liner technology!

Good links,
Thanks,
Dave
2HP

Vermont
I finally saw a 2015 Mustang in person today and love the looks, but I admit to be a sucker for red Mustangs. The car is noticeably lower, sleeker (helped by blacked out B pillar) and has some shoulders (broader rear stance). I may be in the minority here, but I do like the headlights and taillights. Some similarities in appearance to the Fusion/Evos if you can get over that. So will definitely consider the GT350, of course depending on price. Also wondering what Ford will offer for a powertrain warranty with the new engine, although I don't think warranties are going to influence the buyer of a car like this much. Here are a few shots of the 2015 model I saw today, which just happened to be a 50th anniversary edition.

1A_zpsf2b51e71.png

4A_zps05f658df.jpg

2A_zpse494f57f.jpg

7013Boss said:
I finally saw a 2015 Mustang in person today and love the looks, but I admit to be a sucker for red Mustangs. The car is noticeably lower, sleeker (helped by blacked out B pillar) and has some shoulders (broader rear stance). I may be in the minority here, but I do like the headlights and taillights. Some similarities in appearance to the Fusion/Evos if you can get over that. So will definitely consider the GT350, of course depending on price. Also wondering what Ford will offer for a powertrain warranty with the new engine, although I don't think warranties are going to influence the buyer of a car like this much. Here are a few shots of the 2015 model I saw today, which just happened to be a 50th anniversary edition.

1A_zpsf2b51e71.png

4A_zps05f658df.jpg

2A_zpse494f57f.jpg

The looks are starting to grow on me, as well (especially the GT350).

I'm not 100% sure that is a 50th edition as I believe they are only available in white and blue. I think the 50th edition also has different rear side windows. Maybe they just stuck a 50th badge on the back of a red GT?

In any case, nice looking car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel