The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why a 10-Speed Transmission Actually Makes Sense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Do you have data logs of the tranny activity when it’s hot?

The F150 converter sounds like its worth investigating. An even ‘tighter’ rebuild might help.

A manual bypass switch for the lockup sounds good too.

What are you using to tune the tranny? And do you have control over line pressures and lockup schedules and such?

It sounds that you are only a few tweaks away from being able to run 10/10ths at reasonable ambient temps.

sfo
How would you even go there? HP tuners can do a bunch of engine parameters but I do not know anything to tune the A10 with. I'm pretty sure when I looked into HPT there was little to nothing there for A10s. I don't think it can log anything either for A10s. I don't think the HPT guys have even figured out how to match the A10 rpm limit to a new motor rpm limit.

All the talk about changing stall speeds etc is a dangerous path. I can't tell you how many times hotroders have been screwed over by some guy playing checkers with your tranny. They can get 1 facet to work as they think but forget about all the other compromises. Everything is a compromise. Ypu change 1 parameter and it effects another. The game is chess not checkers and it is a hard game to master.

How would you even go there? HP tuners can do a bunch of engine parameters but I do not know anything to tune the A10 with. I'm pretty sure when I looked into HPT there was little to nothing there for A10s. I don't think it can log anything either for A10s.

All the talk about changing stall speeds etc is a dangerous path. I can't tell you how many times hotroders have been screwed over by some guy playing checkers with your tranny. They can get 1 facet to work as they think but forget about all the other compromises. Everything is a compromise. Ypu change 1 parameter and it effects another. The game is chess not checkers and it is a hard game to master.
Tuners can change the speed of gear shifts.
That's it. I agree with bob. Change pressure is a dangerous path IMO

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Yeah, I don’t know if I’d expect to be able to get to what you’d need to with HP Tuners. Everything I saw from them in the past was a bit of a joke. And that was for both Ford and GM products.

SCT Pro Racer let you get to everything on the 4R, and a lot could be opened up for the 6R from what I have seen. No idea what they support for the 10R. I’d go that way, if they gave the support for it and will unlock the parameters needed.

TMO Supporting Vendors