The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Mods II

OK, we're having unseasonbly warm and dry weather again this year, so the Boss isn't in hibernation just yet. That said, it is time to start thinking about winter mods again since the tracks are closed up here. I don't have a lot planned this year, but we know how that goes when the winter starts getting long and we watch all you Southern guys making your Bosses faster :D

I'll start with this one. It's small and shouldn't get me in too much trouble at home:

http://www.revanracing.com/products/bobs-auto-sports-axle-reservoir.html



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now that I'm pretty well done with safety, cooling and suspension, it's time to think about more important things ;D This winter my main goal is to add some power, power power, but I haven't settled on a package just yet. I'm waiting to see what becomes of this first :eek: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M9424M50CJ/Mustang-Ford-Racing-Cobra-Jet-Intake-Manifold-M-9424-M50CJ



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,571
2,439
Arizona, USA
That intake plus the CJ throttle body ($680!!! Link), competition pulse trigger ring, and a competent tune should have you SCREAMING!

Interested to hear about your results if you pull the trigger on all that stuff.

My only winter mods are going to be replacing the diff-side UCA bushing with poly (pretty sure the rubber factory one is destroyed) and add an adjustable front swaybar.

302R ABS controller is on the plan for early 2013 after I finish my Christmas shopping as well...
 

Sesshomurai

I emailed with Dean at Rehagen about the ABS module upgrade, which I want as well. He seemed to say it is designed to work with their 302R booster/MC and upgraded brake lines and wasn't sure if the stock boss MC could handle it. He also said they offer a reduced-price brake boost kit that includes the new ABS module, upgraded brake lines and a lesser booster/MC that does 90% of the $3400 one at about 30% the price. Waiting on the links to that kit still though.
 
The CJ intake looks very interesting. One of the articles about it quoted the Ford guy that worked on it as saying it was good for 25 hp over the Boss 302 intake. Add headers with a full 3" exhaust along with a tune and you should have enough HP to give the GT3's, GT-R's and Z06's something to watch in their rear view mirrors. 8)

http://www.stangtv.com/features/pri-coverage/pri-2011-ford-racing-releases-2013-cobra-jet-with-na-and-fi-engines/

My Winter mod list looks pretty light as well. I might add a front splitter and will go with the 302S or possibly a custom CF splitter from APR.
 
ArizonaGT said:
That intake plus the CJ throttle body ($680!!! Link), competition pulse trigger ring, and a competent tune should have you SCREAMING!

Interested to hear about your results if you pull the trigger on all that stuff.
Add in LTs and and X pipe and should put a smile on one's face ;) Waiting to see who will have a tune for that kit. Is the competition pulse trigger ring a MUST do? I wondered about that. Maybe it's not that expensive anyway......especially relative to the rest of these parts.

NFSBOSS said:
Add headers with a full 3" exhaust along with a tune and you should have enough HP to give the GT3's, GT-R's and Z06's something to watch in their rear view mirrors. 8)
That's the plan ;D
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,571
2,439
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Is the competition pulse trigger ring a MUST do? I wondered about that. Maybe it's not that expensive anyway......especially relative to the rest of these parts.

In my OPINION it's a Must-do if you're going to that intake, since it's tuned to make power at 7700+ RPMs. The ring is only ~$100 but you have to take the trans and clutch/flywheel off to install it. It lets the computer properly read the crank signal above 7800 RPM. The CJ engines have that ring stock. Seems like "cheap" insurance to me. If you're planning on keeping the stock rev limit then don't bother, but why go to the trouble of getting a better breathing setup and aftermarket tune, and NOT bump the limiter? 8000+ RPM TIME! (for you) :)
 
ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
Is the competition pulse trigger ring a MUST do? I wondered about that. Maybe it's not that expensive anyway......especially relative to the rest of these parts.

In my OPINION it's a Must-do if you're going to that intake, since it's tuned to make power at 7700+ RPMs. The ring is only ~$100 but you have to take the trans and clutch/flywheel off to install it. It lets the computer properly read the crank signal above 7800 RPM. The CJ engines have that ring stock. Seems like "cheap" insurance to me. If you're planning on keeping the stock rev limit then don't bother, but why go to the trouble of getting a better breathing setup and aftermarket tune, and NOT bump the limiter? 8000+ RPM TIME! (for you) :)
Thanks for the feedback. Yea I'm not sure about the rev limit. Personally I don't see going to 8,000+ and road racing it. I could see 7750 or 7800 for sure as many of the tuners are going there now. A lot of it depends on what those power curves look like at 7800+. I don't think that's the only place this intake makes power though. They also contend there's no loss of torque at the low end. I am hoping one of the good tuners will put together a package with all the parts (CJ Intake, CJ Throttle body, air inlet tube, ring, LTs and exhaust + SCT tuner) for ~ $4k.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,571
2,439
Arizona, USA
Yeah there's probably not a huge need to go to 8K+ from a power perspective, but from the perspective of being able to hold a gear longer vs. upshift then downshift in certain spots, it's attractive.

Anyways I continue to be very interested in the power figures for the PIONEERS of this setup and hope to see some graphs in early 2013. Unfortunately I doubt I'll go down this path due to various power-to-weight restrictions in the classes I'm interested in competing in; stock power is enough :eek:
 
NFSBOSS said:
I think you're fine going to 8,000 and there are plenty of guys already doing it. I don't know if I'd go above that though. That doesn't mean you're going to hold it there but it would be nice to have that little bit extra for passing those pesky GT3's. I'm pretty sure the 302R's are running up to 8,200 in race conditions.
Good to know. I didn't realize there were many running to 8,000. I know the race cars are doing it, but they also replace their engines on a regular basis which I don't plan to do :p
 

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
Now that I'm pretty well done with safety, cooling and suspension, it's time to think about more important things ;D This winter my main goal is to add some power, power power, but I haven't settled on a package just yet. I'm waiting to see what becomes of this first :eek: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M9424M50CJ/Mustang-Ford-Racing-Cobra-Jet-Intake-Manifold-M-9424-M50CJ

I've taken the same path. Suspension, cooling/exhaust and safety and will move to power next. Any idea if the CJ intake is compatible with aftermarket CAI's? I presume the CJ intake has different shape/size and isn't compatible with the stock air tubes?
 
darreng505 said:
cloud9 said:
Now that I'm pretty well done with safety, cooling and suspension, it's time to think about more important things ;D This winter my main goal is to add some power, power power, but I haven't settled on a package just yet. I'm waiting to see what becomes of this first :eek: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M9424M50CJ/Mustang-Ford-Racing-Cobra-Jet-Intake-Manifold-M-9424-M50CJ

I've taken the same path. Suspension, cooling/exhaust and safety and will move to power next. Any idea if the CJ intake is compatible with aftermarket CAI's? I presume the CJ intake has different shape/size and isn't compatible with the stock air tubes?
I don't really know any more than what LMR put in their listing and it does say a new air inlet tube is required.
 
I got a set of GIRODISC two piece rotor and carbotech pads to install. I also got my Forgeline wheels on order and my Pilot super sports. After that i may have to focus a little on the GT to help get her autox ready and more street-able since she will be doing the DD duties.
 

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
You might be able to use your existing CAI with a different adapter.

Yeah. Need to find an oval one i think or an inlet fabricator to make a new plastic tube. Simple part.
 
Hogged out the top strut holes and got -3.0 degrees with more room to spare. Ran it through a 180 degree 25 mph onramp at 60 and the turn-in and front bite was phenomenal.....at 44 degrees the rear tires not so much :D
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top