The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
A friend of mine came over today and helped me finish up my roll bar. It came out really good. He has a brand new Sparco race seat that I'm going to buy from him since he decided not to put one on his passenger side. We'll work on installing the harness lap belt and sub belt eye bolts next. I may try to get it in for the hood next week if the weather cooperates. We got about an inch of snow yesterday but it's mostly gone from the main streets and they didn't have to salt. Here are some pics. Sorry about the low light, but it's trapped inside the garage for now......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks good Gary! How much does it weigh ? Is it welded in or bolted?

Thanks Ron! After removing the rear seats, seat belts and brackets, then adding the roll bar supports, bar and rear seat delete kit, I added a net of 16 lbs. I'm removing the fix a flat from the trunk (8 lbs) and installing the Tiger hood (8lb savings) to get back to net zero weight gain! :D

The harness bar is welded and the entire assembly is bolted. The supports that attach to the frame are massive. This is a well thought out bar that has been installed in thousands of Mustangs since '05. I can't believe how perfectly the main hoop conforms to the roof line.

The rollbar looks fantastic. How did you cut the plastic so cleanly around the bars?

My winter mods are pretty tame to compared to many of you. They include GT500 axelbacks, Steeda oil separator, and Steeda shifter bracket plus a few cosmetic items. The fun begins this weekend. ;D

We used a dremel cutting disc to cut the side panels and I used a 2" hole saw where the down bars go back to the rear wheel wells. Then I just cleaned up the edges with a utility knife and file.

cloud9 said:
The harness bar is welded and the entire assembly is bolted. The supports that attach to the frame are massive. This is a well thought out bar that has been installed in thousands of Mustangs since '05. I can't believe how perfectly the main hoop conforms to the roof line.

Agreed, I like the setup. My only complaint is they should have the two rear brackets pre-drilled, they were a biznitch to get right. Outside of that very simple install.

The supports as you said are perfect and heavy duty. you have to wonder how the factory ones even do anything after holding one of each at the same time, lol.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Installed the turkey baster on the left side axle using the PN#4022 metal relief valve instead of the plastic one that comes with the kit.

2011-12-10_13-31-03_824.jpg

ihatepotholess said:
5 DOT 0 said:
ihatepotholess said:
does anybody know if FRP will make a set of springs for Boss?
They are working on a set but no availability date. I'm sitting tight until late February to see what they come up with.

Thank you, is this confirmed by FRP?

I have heard the same thing and would only buy these from the same guys that engineered the car and raced it professionally. I am not sure I would want a set from a company that has had limited access to one or two cars and a few laps around one local track. For now the setup seems to be working very well for me, the car is still way above my capabilities. If I get to the point of driving as fast as the Miller instructors I might consider a change to go faster.

PeteInCT said:
Installed the turkey baster on the left side axle using the PN#4022 metal relief valve instead of the plastic one that comes with the kit.

2011-12-10_13-31-03_824.jpg

Pete why did you go with that location? I am going to put mine up top, I don't understand how it will help there?

My plans:

Already installed Track Key

Recently bought the Transmission cooler and brake duct kit. Those will go on during the week of Christmas.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My truck said 50 degrees this afternoon when I was out running errands. That is virtually unheard of this time of year around here! The sun's only about 20 degrees above the horizon at high noon. So I raced home and uncovered the Boss. I took it out for a shove to see how the NVH was with the rollbar and rear seat delete kit. It was barely louder if at all. That kit does a great job of keeping the rear end noise down. Man it was fun to get a bonus day in today :D

cloud9 said:
My truck said 50 degrees this afternoon when I was out running errands. That is virtually unheard of this time of year around here! The sun's only about 20 degrees above the horizon at high noon. So I raced home and uncovered the Boss. I took it out for a shove to see how the NVH was with the rollbar and rear seat delete kit. It was barely louder if at all. That kit does a great job of keeping the rear end noise down. Man it was fun to get a bonus day in today :D
Nice. I take it you needed your sunglasses too? 8)

PeteInCT said:
Scott - I am using the FRP girdle M-4033-G2. It does not have the vent location on top of the girdle like the stock girdle. This location on the axle is actually the location as defiined by FORD and their TSB since the issue was vetted with Mustang GT's (which have the vent in that location whereas we have just a plug).

Cool, thanks. I think I am going to put it on the top vent first and see how that works. I don't get a lot of oil spilling out but enough to give this a try.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
We are in the 40s here in NY and I'm in the middle of an American Racing Header install. Boy is this hard on jack stands in my driveway. I'm also gonna do the driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft as well. The ARH headers are very well made and the drivers side fits beautifully. Many things to remove to get room to R&R, starter,battery, strut brace, motor mounts, heat shields. The header O2 sensors are a biznitch to unplug and don't even ask about the stock collector nuts. Ill try and takes some pics and can't wait to get her back together just to hear the roar. I like Gary am heading farther and farther into making this car more track than street. A roll cage and Sparco seats and harnesses are next along with either the Tiger Racing or the ARP hood that is featured in thr Feb 2012 issue of 5.0 Mustang& super Fords magazine.
Next year is gonna be fun!!
Steve

Hood showed up today. I took it to the dealer along with the Boss and somehow didn't slide into a tree :p

The fiberglass just keep getting lighter and lighter. :D CF is only 4 lbs lighter and $600 more plus more prep work. They're putting in the tow hooks at the same time. Can't wait until it's done. The only bummer is the forecast shows 52 degrees for Sunday! That's a good 30 degrees above normal and would have been a great day for a cruise in the Boss. Oh well, I'm just happy I can still get this done without trailering it this time of year.

TMO Supporting Vendors