The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ZL1 sighting at Lime Rock Park !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVT1 said:
Dang man! I wish I had gone to LRP for this! He would have been in my group, shucks.

I was told I was running the same lap times as the ZL1 from my friend who was hand timing my laps too. Stock street Boss on stock P Zero's, says something for the capability of the Boss as I am a GREEN driver, lol.

Pete- that's cooking lap times! I can't wait to return to LRP to implement your suggestions, especially your pointers regarding braking techniques. ;)

Anyway, I'm impressed he turned a sub 1:06 lap as well as the mitigation of heat soak some how. I've heard those cars are heat soak magnets.

So if a 580 HP ZL1 ran 1:07-1:09's, and a stock street Boss runs the same, how in the heck is a 1LE supposedly faster than an LS???!!!!!!

What did they do about the heat soak?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
SVT1 said:
Dang man! I wish I had gone to LRP for this! He would have been in my group, shucks.

I was told I was running the same lap times as the ZL1 from my friend who was hand timing my laps too. Stock street Boss on stock P Zero's, says something for the
capability of the Boss as I am a GREEN driver, lol.

Pete- that's cooking lap times! I can't wait to return to LRP to implement your suggestions, especially your pointers regarding braking techniques. ;)

Anyway, I'm impressed he turned a sub 1:06 lap as well as the mitigation of heat soak some how. I've heard those cars are heat soak magnets.

So if a 580 HP ZL1 ran 1:07-1:09's, and a stock street Boss runs the same, how in the heck is a 1LE supposedly faster than an LS???!!!!!!

Quick but not FAST. My car can do it in 1:00 in expert hands I think. I need to get to at least 1:02 or better. The uphill is where I need to get it.

MA
Nice driving Steve! I was watching your technique and was impressed by your entrance into Big Bend. 5th to 3rd is impressive! Heel/toe?

Regarding the SS, they are easy fodder for a Boss. I can't see a 1LE being any problem at all, especially since we now know what it's 580 HP, MAG equipped big brother is capable of.

cloud9 said:
That SS looked like the SS Minnow :-X
LMAO I'm just happy to see a Camaro owner (and not Bumble Bee :D ) out at a track!

Nice driving Steve. Was that a ZR1 that flew past you? That guy was moving.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
That SS looked like the SS Minnow :-X
LMAO I'm just happy to see a Camaro owner (and not Bumble Bee :D ) out at a track!

Nice driving Steve. Was that a ZR1 that flew past you? That guy was moving.

2011 Z06 with a new engine (his original "popped" at Watkins Glen last year) with Lingenfelter stage 2 cam and 485 HP at the wheels. Good driver and a nice guy. There was a ZL1 in there but not in this video, I'll see if I can find and post video from my first session, which was embarrassing, no rear grip and a best of 1:07 :p. To be honest most regular C6 Vettes aren't a problem but the Z06 and ZL1s are just in a league of their own, 500 lbs lighter, much bigger tires, 60-150 more horsepower and carbon brakes the size of pizza pans. With a halfway decent driver it's hard to keep up. If Roketman loaned me his GT-R maybe I could knock them down, I know he can!

PS; Yes, big heel/toe from 5th to 3rd entering big bend, only downshift per lap, 4th from middle of No Name straight to 5th just before start/finish. I actually had a limp mode during second session when I over revved my throttle blip on a downshift. Strangest feeling, no power, blinking CEL, I thought I killed it. Pulled off line and was thinking aw sh@t when it just cooled down and came right back on song and kept right on going. No codes after checking when I got home.
Steve

steveespo said:
2011 Z06 with a new engine (his original "popped" at Watkins Glen last year) with Lingenfelter stage 2 cam and 485 HP at the wheels. Good driver and a nice guy. There was a ZL1 in there but not in this video, I'll see if I can find and post video from my first session, which was embarrassing, no rear grip and a best of 1:07 :p. To be honest most regular C6 Vettes aren't a problem but the Z06 and ZL1s are just in a league of their own, 500 lbs lighter, much bigger tires, 60-150 more horsepower and carbon brakes the size of pizza pans. With a halfway decent driver it's hard to keep up. If Roketman loaned me his GT-R maybe I could knock them down, I know he can!
Yeah they are almost like cheating unless you own one. ;)

MA
Wow Steve, that's scary. I saw one downshift on the video and it looked like the datalogger showed 8k for a split second. Whoops.

I never knew until now that the Z06's had this oil starvation issue. What a sham, especially since they are a full dry sump oiling system designed for high G loads. Like I said, now I'm glad I never tracked mine. Always regretted it until now.

I saw a ZL1 at the autocross I just went to today. It was his first time, for which he didn't do bad, but of course he wasn't in the hunt.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel