The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302S winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some more photos , hope to have the trunk painted this week and finish up some plumbing for the dry brake , total weight without fuel is 3054 lbs without the new windshield (14 lbs)

IMG_1315_zps30604320.jpg
IMG_1313_zpsad74e036.jpg
IMG_1316_zps39efa925.jpg
IMG_1308_zps8a7a97c1.jpg
IMG_1306_zps7eb6a78e.jpg

ArizonaBOSS said:
Looks great. I am envious.

What kind of "Better tires" are you getting for this season?

Just the bigger size Pirelli's , 305/660/18 front and 305/680/18 rear

Jimmy Pribble said:
Oh, hello Audi S4! Great car. I just tried buying my third a couple of months ago, but he wanted too much.

Thanks for the thread. Lots of inspirational ideas.
The Audi belongs to one of our techs , I will pass along your comment

ArizonaBOSS said:
How do you fasten it? Adhesives? Rivets? Both?
It's not fastened yet , just a trial fit with the stock windshield , the Optic Armor windshield just arrived today so we will start the install tomorrow . It will be water tight and we are using some button head fasteners and countersunk allen bolts at the rear window

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
How much did that OA Lexan run you? I'm about to put the car's third (glass) windshield in on Thursday...

I've heard Lexan is spendy but also requires a lot of prep work including scuffing and painting the "black" areas on the back side. I'm assuming you'll have to "fine trim" the fit. Are you going to use tear-offs?

Sorry for all the questions :)

ArizonaBOSS said:
How much did that OA Lexan run you? I'm about to put the car's third (glass) windshield in on Thursday...

I've heard Lexan is spendy but also requires a lot of prep work including scuffing and painting the "black" areas on the back side. I'm assuming you'll have to "fine trim" the fit. Are you going to use tear-offs?

Sorry for all the questions :)
The Optic Armor is a drop in with the factory blackout trim and the 1/4 inch thick one can be used with the factory moulding and installed with urethane . I am not planning on using tear-offs . It is less than half the weight of the factory glass and they claim 250 times stronger . Their website is http://opticarmorwindows.com/DIBO.html

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
bbrgt said:
The Optic Armor is a drop in with the factory blackout trim and the 1/4 inch thick one can be used with the factory moulding and installed with urethane . I am not planning on using tear-offs . It is less than half the weight of the factory glass and they claim 250 times stronger . Their website is http://opticarmorwindows.com/DIBO.html

Oh wow that looks great and much more affordable than I anticipated. I'll definitely do this if the glass gets destroyed again...no time to wait for shipping now. Looks like even the PWC cars running that (Camaro shown) don't need windshield braces either, due to the increased strength!

ArizonaBOSS said:
Oh wow that looks great and much more affordable than I anticipated. I'll definitely do this if the glass gets destroyed again...no time to wait for shipping now. Looks like even the PWC cars running that (Camaro shown) don't need windshield braces either, due to the increased strength!
The rep at Optic Armor said if you use the 1/4 inch windshield , braces are not required

Looking good. I see you had it on the scales, what were the weight savings?

NFSBOSS said:
Looking good. I see you had it on the scales, what were the weight savings?

The windshield saved 15 lbs , the carbon roof and cutting away some roof reinforcing 25 lbs and the trunk lid 30 lbs for a grand total of 70 lbs

TMO Supporting Vendors