The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302R brakes point to upgrade path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks Chris. I see the race teams followed my lead on the DBA T3 rotors. ::). Those rear rotors also have the same pad deposits I have.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Interesting.

Some other notes:
going into the international horseshoe, the new brakes weren't glowing quite like they used to. Also seemed to be less drama over braking, despite how slick the infield seemed to be (corner exits were fun to watch). Despite some cars having been setup some very low roll resistance, I didn't see a lot of brake drive or lockups.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Jimmy Pribble said:
Nope. I was just calling them what the rules call them. ;)

Now that we know they aren't the GT500 brakes, I would suggest "2013 302R optional brakes." Luckily, the thread title and subject remain valid.

Who knows why Grand-Am call these GT500 brakes? Maybe they assigned an arbitrary designation, not realizing that GT500 is actually a fairly well known Mustang model designation. ::)

They call them GT500 because Mark and the gang fooled them. Ford Engineer:"these are not calipers you are looking for", Grand Am rules maker:"these are not calipers we are looking for......move on"

My real GT500 setup arrives Monday, if Superstorm Nemo doesn't snow out UPS.
Can someone please give me the brake pad shape number? That is the real Sasquatch, there have to be some 662 horsepower road racers out there.
Steve

I am not sure how many teams were running the new brakes at Daytona. I assume the 59, 61, 51 and most likely the other Roush Boss and I can confirm the 78 ran them. Looks like the pics from Chris on the last page are of the 78. Their setup included all Brembo front (caliper, rotors, pads) and rear setup using the same factory caliper as we all know with the new bracket, Ford factory Shelby rotors with PFC 97 pads.

I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make in overall braking but I plan to get the rear bracket and Shelby rotor since right now it appears the stock Ford part is the only one out there for this setup. I will also continue to run the PFC 97 rear pads. Rick where did you hear 13.8 rear rotors, I thought it was 13? I read somewhere (here) that they tell you need change the brake line. I need to get in there and look at mine at see how much flex there is left. The only reason for swapping out the brake line would be because of a bad angle where the hose goes into the caliper since it is moved forward 3/4 (or about 1 1/4 if they are 13.8 ).

CIMG3732_zpsf6679324.png
CIMG3730_zpsbb948cdf.png

Any more news on this? I thought I heard them say during the broadcast that this was the FR500 brake package. It irks me that Grand Am added weight to the Mustang in GS. That damn Porsche is still the fastest car in the GS field.

I put the the 302 r/s brakes on my 2013 LS.
The brakes are awesome ! The calipers are just a work of art.The pads are at least double the thickness of stock ones.It is an expensive upgrade .But if you are a track junkie ,its the balls!

zzyzx

Steve
roketman said:
I put the the 302 r/s brakes on my 2013 LS.
The brakes are awesome ! The calipers are just a work of art.The pads are at least double the thickness of stock ones.It is an expensive upgrade .But if you are a track junkie ,its the balls!

Did you also change/upgrade the brake booster/master cylinder and ABS module? Just curious. Have you tracked it yet with the new brake setup? More details would be great as many of us are looking for alternatives.

Thanks!

It's a v8 supercars spec hollinger sequential 6 speed , I sold them the 12 Boss S last year, they ran a 3 hour enduro a couple of weeks ago , finished 2nd overall .

best 25k ever spent on a race car
boss with sequential sounds fantastic and makes the boss engine perform the way it should
Ratio's are
1st 2.571
2nd 1.986
3rd 1.608
4th 1.351
5th 1.138
6th 1.00
3.73 rear gears

TMO Supporting Vendors