The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2026 kill switch mandate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don't know if any of you have been following this but the clowns in DC have now mandated a " kill switch" in cars 2026 and newer. This is BS on so many levels, particularly the fact that it now gives some nameless bureaucrat the ability to shut down your transportation mode on a whim, at least, and the worst is that it gives more government intrusion in our lives. I'm sure the scam was used that it would be able to shut down the cars of terrorists and felons, but keep in mind that you lose freedoms through the veil of " safety" more than any other way.
Some freedom loving folks have opposed this and tried to defund it, but there are just too many Kool-Aid drinkers in DC these days.
Please write your representatives and join SEMA.

Are people actually OK with this?? They keep passing these asinine laws and I can't believe people are onboard with them. At least here is CA, I'm surprised there's not already a law banning Republicanism or conservative thoughts.

I haven't seen much in the way of proof that those in congress or the senate actually listen to their constituencies vs special interest groups and corporate donaters.

My 23 F250 tow rig has a 5G modem. Find it hard to believe Ford at least, could not tap in now and shut it down
today if desired.

I don't see how the "impairment" thing is going to work for on track (or worse yet, offroad) driving, especially with
a helmet. Might have to have GPS "activated" in the car, so it knows you are off legal roads. Not sure how that will work
with parking lot auto-X, or any legal event set up on public roads.

I'd guess it will also be set up to not "like" even "spirited" street driving, let alone typical HPDE.

I also agree on updating "fleet" now. Hence we bought both a 23 Escape and F250, this year.

What law actually says, as some "sites" are claiming a "fact check" that it is not a "kill switch"

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Did not GM try this with OnStar years ago ? That system could disable a vehicle equipped with it. We call the voice on our nav devices in our cars/truck the “lady in the box”. Didn’t think of her as a spy though but now ……….

Bay Area
Are people actually OK with this?? They keep passing these asinine laws and I can't believe people are onboard with them. At least here is CA, I'm surprised there's not already a law banning Republicanism or conservative thoughts.
It’s Commifornia. California left us in the 80s.

To stay on topic,. This is definitely an intrusion into our lives and I hope people do wake up and realize t
just that.

In the future, You may need to take a breathalyzer test just to leave your house....................just to keep YOU safe, of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......we are slowly losing all our freedoms folks............... Big Bother...........to serve and protect..................WHO?????????????????????????????

This is probably more accurate. Hell, Gen Z kids don't even want to drive.
And it's up to people like us to fix that. A quick RPM first gear start up an on ramp in a pony car will go a long way in re aligning their priorities.
I think that today's kids take all the virtual (add whatever noun) at face value instead of actually doing it. For instance, virtual parachuting, is not the same as forcing yourself to man up and get in that door. Virtual Grand Canyon tours will never replace actually rafting through it, but they'll never know because they think " virtual" is a thing.
It's up to us to fix that, one smoking burnout at a time.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Uhm, yeah, great job Government Joe, this is going to really help... until thieves figure out how to bypass it. Which will lead to the first time I have to ask a thief for advice because you can guarantee I will bypass it on any new car I buy. HP Tuners and the likes are probably thrilled to see this (HA!, not really), there is going to a be a lot of us sending our ECU's in for re-programming. Like deleting the stupid auto stop/start (was at an AERA conference and saw a really informative presentation by MAHLE showing how that kills engine bearings).

Uhm, yeah, great job Government Joe, this is going to really help... until thieves figure out how to bypass it. Which will lead to the first time I have to ask a thief for advice because you can guarantee I will bypass it on any new car I buy. HP Tuners and the likes are probably thrilled to see this (HA!, not really), there is going to a be a lot of us sending our ECU's in for re-programming. Like deleting the stupid auto stop/start (was at an AERA conference and saw a really informative presentation by MAHLE showing how that kills engine bearings).
Good news so far on the modem(s) at least, it is typically on it's own dedicated fuse.
(even on the 5G in my new F250)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
When I bought my 2017 it came with a kill system that I had no idea it would have when I ordered the car. Was sold to me upon delivery that it was in case it was stolen. I could simply call CHP and give them the code on the ID card I was given and they could locate the car and shut it off. Ok, thought that was cool. But, then, I realized it was more likely there in case I was a loser who stopped making the payments on it so that they could shut it off and make repossession a snap. Either way it is Big Brotherish. Once again the system reduces to the lowest common denominator and the law abiding citizen’s lose their freedoms. Which lemmings do easily for a bit of comfort.
I agree that if all do not stand up and raise a ruckus we will all one day be kept quite and happy with Soma and watched 24/7 by Big Brother.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
The professional in me says: create an air gap. Costs you nothing, easily performed by removing the fuse to the modem (or the whole unit) from your car. Fuse location is clearly marked in your driver manual.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel