The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone interested in a 3 day weekend event at Watkins Glen (6/22-6/24)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If it wasn't for Hermes we may have not passed the ugly stick rule and allowed back to the paddock ! ;D

Nice photos in front of the Watkins Glen sign. Pete from the photo in your signature it looks like it's time for a suspension upgrade with some new springs. ;)

So what did roketman think of his new suspension upgrades?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
Nice photos in front of the Watkins Glen sign. Pete from the photo in your signature it looks like it's time for a suspension upgrade with some new springs. ;)

So what did roketman think of his new suspension upgrades?

What - you don't like the way it leans under high G's? Please send $2500 in cash via PayPal to [email protected] and I'll take care of that for you and even pick up the install charges ! ;D

I probably will do it (assuming some current specific condition you are aware of clears up fairly soon) later in the year for next season. Ron can chime in on his perceptions, but I ran behind him on a number of runs and I can see how his car can put down the power exiting the turns better than mine, so the 302S suspension seems to make a noticable different under high G's under load. In the "Bus Stop" at WG (quicker turns, less load on the tires) where you need to 'dance' through it to be fast the LS did a pretty damn good job with the new wheels/tires. His is faster still but the gap between them seems to be less. Overall if I never changed the suspension I'm still very satisfied with it - but there's always something better... ::)

Ok here is my assessment of the 302s set up.Awesome!
Here is what I liked.
Before I made some adjustments ,turn in had some understeer.Not a lot but enough that I wanted to get rid of it.If I have to lift to correct it its to much!I fixed the problem by going full soft on the front sway.Than I lowered my front tire pressures from 38-34,and a 1/2 turn softer on the front shocks.In the rear I lowered tire pressures from 38 to 36.This solved my mid corner understeer issues rather nicely .The car cornered nice and flat.From the apex to exit the car was just perfect.Just a nice 4 wheel drift.I couldn't quite keep up to the guy in the 996 cup car ,but I tried really hard!He just pedaled away from me!Me and my solid rear axel car did however bum out a lot of GT3's ,Turbos and Caymans!Took Chuck and Pete for rides,that was fun except Chuck did seem a little nervous!He did generously share his tools and clear bra cleaner!
My only issue was the brakes .On my last run I ran out of brakes and the end of the back straight and had to shoot passed the chicane.Glad it didn't happen at the end of the front straight!I did bleed the brakes at the end of the 1st and 2 day .I am now looking into the 302s/r brake set up.I am told that is the ultimate.Down side is it's not cheap.I will try to figure out how to post some video.
Please come join us next year!We had a blast on and off the track!

ArizonaGT said:
Lookin good, guys! Chuck, I watched some of your YT videos today, clean lines man!
Thanks, I've been doing HPDE since 1983 and PCA racing since 1992. I'll edit a couple of vids from WG try to post them by this weekend. Got some following Pete and Roketman (but he had to back down several notches to stay in camera range!).

roketman said:
Took Chuck and Pete for rides,that was fun except Chuck did seem a little nervous!

That's just the way I react when riding with someone that's not quite as good a driver as I am. :p

PeteInCT said:
roketman said:
Chuck ,
Good come back! Pete will be proud!
Send your address!

Translation please... ??
Ron wants my address to send me some of that miracle spray stuff I let him use and finally gave him the rest of the can. He ordered a whole case of it.

A few more pics from the Glen. I know some of you have talked about "walls"...nobody hit any walls. The Boss 302 LOVES this track and so will you after you drive it!

Roketman getting ready to terrorize some P-Cars
100_4808.jpg

Friday evening track walk with expert commentary by Paul Weston (Weston Motorsports). This was one of 2 groups. The other group was led by Dan Dazzo, retired DC cop and now a paid professional driving instructor.
100_4817.jpg
100_4818.jpg

Dinner by Seneca Lake on Saturday evening. The great thing about WG is there plenty to do in the area for the family and the scenery is breathtaking.
100_4838.jpg
100_4840.jpg
100_4847.jpg
100_4852.jpg
100_4854.jpg
100_4857.jpg

Just want to chime in as a first timer to help sway anyone who might be on the fence about tracking their cars.

Had an excellent first track event. Met some great new friends and got to find out just how special our cars are. Even in the beginner green group is was amazing how easily the BOSS could real in other cars. My stock car [only changed front pads and brake fluid] had absolutely no issues running 8 30 minute sessions.

I want to than Pete and Chuck for all their help and advice about car set up and mods. Mostly I want to thank Ron who swapped students after the first day to become my instructor. I can't even begin to explain how much I learned from the man in the 2 days I drove with him. I'm sure I will not find a finer instructor (or nicer guy) no matter how many more track days I do. As Ron mentioned in a previous post I am hooked and already created a list of mods and am looking for more track days in the near future.

Took some video's of Ron, Pete, & Chuck as well as Hans Warner in his 73 Carrera. Will try and post those soon.

Hermes

roketman said:
My only issue was the brakes .On my last run I ran out of brakes and the end of the back straight and had to shoot passed the chicane.Glad it didn't happen at the end of the front straight!I did bleed the brakes at the end of the 1st and 2 day .I am now looking into the 302s/r brake set up.I am told that is the ultimate.Down side is it's not cheap.I will try to figure out how to post some video.
Please come join us next year!We had a blast on and off the track!
And you guys keep giving me $hit about my brake setup that has NEVER let me down. Yea there's wear but they stop the car and never fade. Cheaper than swapping out your whole system! ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors