The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AUTO-BLiP Install and Calibration Info for the S197/BOSS 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Auto-Blip Install and Instruction Information

If I remember correctly, the 370Z has a pressure sensor on the shifter that tells the PCM that a shift is coming. Yes I know the 370 is a factory effort but stick with me.

Why not send a "false" brake signal to the box? Either using one of the useless buttons on the steering wheel or a coiled cable/line lock button, you could get the blip on easy corners or just slowing down on the street without having to actually hit the brake pedal. ?? Just a thought...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

NFSBOSS said:
It's the clutch that activates the blip. So if you have the brake applied and push in the clutch the blip will happen.
Really a track only kinda thing with an occasional street romp. Constant blipping on the street would make me nuts and draw unwanted police attention especially with headers and Corsas.

Pete I have been synchronizing down shifts for 28 years, if Ford offered a dual clutch trans I would have bought one. No one can shift as well as BMW's DCT or Audi/VW's DSG.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

2012Boss302 said:
If I remember correctly, the 370Z has a pressure sensor on the shifter that tells the PCM that a shift is coming. Yes I know the 370 is a factory effort but stick with me.

Why not send a "false" brake signal to the box? Either using one of the useless buttons on the steering wheel or a coiled cable/line lock button, you could get the blip on easy corners or just slowing down on the street without having to actually hit the brake pedal. ?? Just a thought...
sounds like a great idea.....

steveespo said:
Really a track only kinda thing with an occasional street romp. Constant blipping on the street would make me nuts and draw unwanted police attention especially with headers and Corsas.

Pete I have been synchronizing down shifts for 28 years, if Ford offered a dual clutch trans I would have bought one. No one can shift as well as BMW's DCT or Audi/VW's DSG.
Steve
You can turn it off when not in use. The new Porsche 991 GT3 will set a new standard for street cars with one hundredth of a second shifts. They tested an eight speed manual vs. an eight speed PDK and the PDK was half a second quicker to 100 (or something like that). It's in the video I posted in the other car forum. The current PDK shifts in 3 hundredth's of a second.

I'm going to start another thread debating manual vs. DCT so please post any further debate type posts there.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4486.new#new

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

Well, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to buy one. If it gets here before next weekends event, I will try it out.

Before picking up my LS, I test-drove a Nismo 370Z. I wanted to try their vaunted blip, as well as see if I could be satisfied with six cylinders. :)

Wow, I hated the blip! I am in the habit of shifting to neutral and coasting to a red light. That Nismo would blip every time I shifted to neutral. Very annoying!

Having to also apply the brake would seem to make this Mustang blipper a very attractive proposition!

Oh, by the way, although I find the 370Z quite a looker, not enough power (until you throw in a twin-turbo).

via thumb power from my Pantech Discover

pufferfish said:
Well, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to buy one. If it gets here before next weekends event, I will try it out.
You guys are going to suck me in on this eventually I'm afraid. I'm just worried it will take some of the fun out of the track experience.

Oh dear lord, i have to work late now and i come in to see how things are going this is what you all come up with? Great something else to buy with my tax return.

cloud9 said:
You guys are going to suck me in on this eventually I'm afraid. I'm just worried it will take some of the fun out of the track experience.
You don't need it your heel/toe was seamless. (I did some hot laps with Gary at CVR) But if it can trim a half second off of your lap times........ ;D

NFSBOSS said:
You don't need it your heel/toe was seamless. (I did some hot laps with Gary at CVR) But if it can trim a half second off of your lap times........ ;D
Pretty hard to outdo the computer. Just like the park assist on my wife's SHO :p

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Well you know if Gary is going to do it then uh.........you know, I might uh......you know.....maybe might, uh.........oh hell i ordered one. The fact it can be turned off for street use makes it worth the shot. Thanks Rick for posting about this, I never would have thought to look it up. My wallet thanks you too :eek:
Steve

NFSBOSS said:
You can turn it off when not in use. The new Porsche 991 GT3 will set a new standard for street cars with one hundredth of a second shifts. They tested an eight speed manual vs. an eight speed PDK and the PDK was half a second quicker to 100 (or something like that). It's in the video I posted in the other car forum. The current PDK shifts in 3 hundredth's of a second.

I'm going to start another thread debating manual vs. DCT so please post any further debate type posts there.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4486.new#new
If you think the PDK is sweet. look at the new cup car trans. It has auto.rev. matching for all shifts up and down.Go to a race and close your eyes and just listen. The pop of the exhaust something to behold. No more heal and toe just gas and trail brake. The set up is pricey.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Jim's point is important here. The new GT3 as well as other cars rev match. This does not. Not the same thing.

-Pete

steveespo said:
Well you know if Gary is going to do it then uh.........you know, I might uh......you know.....maybe might, uh.........oh hell i ordered one. The fact it can be turned off for street use makes it worth the shot. Thanks Rick for posting about this, I never would have thought to look it up. My wallet thanks you too :eek:
Steve
LOL....well I'm leaning back toward a Watts link again and if I do that I'll need to get it approved from the finance minister before the autoblip.

I like this, but...

I am not a fan of the "scotch-lock" type splices/connectors that "cut" into the existing wiring.

Maybe I am thinking to much into it, but wouldn't that create higher resistances in the affected wires possibly changing the voltages sent/received? Especially down the road after some normal road bumps and vibes.

For me, I would need an inline connector before I could justify this. Hope you don't mind me throwing in my .02.

93 LX 5.0 said:
I like this, but...

I am not a fan of the "scotch-lock" type splices/connectors that "cut" into the existing wiring.

Maybe I am thinking to much into it, but wouldn't that create higher resistances in the affected wires possibly changing the voltages sent/received? Especially down the road after some normal road bumps and vibes.

For me, I would need an inline connector before I could justify this. Hope you don't mind me throwing in my .02.
No problem and valid points. You can always hard wire it in.

I'm curious where people are mounting the unit. The CVR cars have it mounted forward of the shifter as seen in the photo below. Because my car is driven on the street I don't want the wire seen coming over the side of the console. Instead I'm thinking about mounting mine below and just to the left of the steering column. This would mound the unit upside down and the wires would run into the column opening and down below to the pedals. The knobs can be rotated 180 degrees so they will be on top. Thoughts? BTW the set allen screws take a 0.050 wrench, the smallest one I have.

541553_126884310816478_756661687_n.jpg

IMG_2167_zps1fe24664.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel