The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AUTO-BLiP Install and Calibration Info for the S197/BOSS 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Auto-Blip Install and Instruction Information

93 LX 5.0 said:
I like this, but...

I am not a fan of the "scotch-lock" type splices/connectors that "cut" into the existing wiring.

Maybe I am thinking to much into it, but wouldn't that create higher resistances in the affected wires possibly changing the voltages sent/received? Especially down the road after some normal road bumps and vibes.

For me, I would need an inline connector before I could justify this. Hope you don't mind me throwing in my .02.

As long as the right tap is used it only messes up the insulation, the wires move. If you use a pink instead of blue then you cut wires. It won't add resistance it would reduce it because it would be parallel to ground, so they are probably matching the impedance so that doesn't happen. If your talking about corrosion then I have to agree, it just need to be taped up the right way and not with cheap tape. All this talk is making me want to order this stupid thing. What ever gets me up to speed, no pun intended.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Pete is correct of course but the factory systems have the advantage of being able to monitor engine, input shaft, gear selector and wheel speed all at the same time to rev match for the smoothest, fastest shifts with least wear on the synchronizers. That of course is a $30000 transmission system. What we are looking to do for $400 is an almost analog system that we have tune to best get engine speed at the right place when our analog left leg release the clutch on a downshift. Like heel toe work we will be able to gauge the right time to clutch in and out at a known rev range per gear in line with the settings. I plan on studying my video data logs to see what rpm I have been downshifting at and the adjust the system to buzz the engine 100-200 rpm above that. If it becomes too hard I'll pull it out and sell it on one of the forums.
Steve

steveespo said:
Pete is correct of course but the factory systems have the advantage of being able to monitor engine, input shaft, gear selector and wheel speed all at the same time to rev match for the smoothest, fastest shifts with least wear on the synchronizers. That of course is a $30000 transmission system. What we are looking to do for $400 is an almost analog system that we have tune to best get engine speed at the right place when our analog left leg release the clutch on a downshift. Like heel toe work we will be able to gauge the right time to clutch in and out at a known rev range per gear in line with the settings. I plan on studying my video data logs to see what rpm I have been downshifting at and the adjust the system to buzz the engine 100-200 rpm above that. If it becomes too hard I'll pull it out and sell it on one of the forums.
Steve

Maybe I'll wait on you. So when you getting yours? :)

Mine is in that location for now. I plan to mount it under the steering column console on the right side or similar out of view but reachable location.

NFSBOSS said:
No problem and valid points. You can always hard wire it in.

I'm curious where people are mounting the unit. The CVR cars have it mounted forward of the shifter as seen in the photo below. Because my car is driven on the street I don't want the wire seen coming over the side of the console. Instead I'm thinking about mounting mine below and just to the left of the steering column. This would mound the unit upside down and the wires would run into the column opening and down below to the pedals. The knobs can be rotated 180 degrees so they will be on top. Thoughts? BTW the set allen screws take a 0.050 wrench, the smallest one I have.

541553_126884310816478_756661687_n.jpg

IMG_2167_zps1fe24664.jpg

I think I'd go on the side of console by the shifter. I'd be afraid of hitting it with my knee on the left side of the steering wheel. It should be set and forget right?.

DGRacing said:
Mine is in that location for now. I plan to mount it under the steering column console on the right side or similar out of view but reachable location.

Pics?

steveespo said:
My unit ships Monday. Might get it installed before next Saturday at Lime Rock. We'll see. I let everyone know how I like it.
Steve

You can race Pete and see if it helps. I really don't know who's the fastest but I thought throw that in there. :)

racered302 said:
I think I'd go on the side of console by the shifter. I'd be afraid of hitting it with my knee on the left side of the steering wheel. It should be set and forget right?. I just want be able to turn it on and off and not readjust every time with the current factory setup.
I want to mount it on the left so my knee won't hit it and it would on the side of the console. I'm 6'2" and drive with the seat forward on track. My right knee hits the key sometimes. From my perspective there's more room on the left of the steering column.

NFSBOSS said:
I want to mount it on the left so my knee won't hit it and it would on the side of the console. I'm 6'2" and drive with the seat forward on track. My right knee hits the key sometimes. From my perspective there's more room on the left of the steering column.

I'm 6'3" with stork legs, that's why I try to keep thinks centered in the car.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

I've been watching this thread for the opinions on how this unit works, but I am surprised at how many of you guys are going to try it!

I'm having trouble imagining it working that well for me. I double clutch and double blip on the 3-2. The blip duration needs to be different for different gear changes. Mostly because the ratio differences between gears varies a bit. 4-3 is a 1.28 ratio change, 3-2 is a 1.43 ratio change. I'm also starting to work on dropping two gears from 5-3 and 4-2.

Looking forward to all the reviews...

Grant 302 said:
I've been watching this thread for the opinions on how this unit works, but I am surprised at how many of you guys are going to try it!

I'm having trouble imagining it working that well for me. I double clutch and double blip on the 3-2. The blip duration needs to be different for different gear changes. Mostly because the ratio differences between gears varies a bit. 4-3 is a 1.28 ratio change, 3-2 is a 1.43 ratio change. I'm also starting to work on dropping two gears from 5-3 and 4-2.

What i found is that if you compensate for this by shifting at the optimal wheel speed 'any blip will do' as the trans will work the same to complete the rev match but if the wheel speed for the selected gear is higher relative to other gears a longer blip is needed.
This is especially the case going from 5-3 which i do on some tracks.

Just my $0.02!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Grant 302 said:

I get where you are coming from but in reality no one gets the rpm exactly on the mone for a given gear when heel/toe blipping. So like you show the ratios step down 1:1.28:1.43 so when braking from 120 to 60 4th to 3rd your rpm is say 6300 in 4th then you are on the brakes and make the down shift at say 80 engaging 3rd so you are still going straight completing the shift before turn in. The rev match for 3rd will be around 5000 rpm, I would set the unit for 5100 blip to bring the main shaft up to speed to match the anticipated cluster speed. By rights you should pause in neutral with the clutch half engaged and then fully depress and select gear and engage fully to complete the shift. That is true double clutching which I can pull off sometimes but not most, it saves the most transmission wear as both the main shaft and gear clusters are truly synchronized. Mostly with modern road cars we let the brass and carbon fiber act as clutches and brakes in the trans to speed up and slow down the parts to make them mesh. What I feel the benefit of the device will be is to allow more foot time on the brake pedal to get more out of the braking event, and the ability to double dip the clutch to save trans parts and have more fluid downshifts. I don't "need" it, but if it saves .25 seconds over a lap, I will be happy. Gotta keep up with those 1LE cars you know ::)
Steve

AUTO-BLiP

Supporting Vendor
Houston

Hello All,

My name is Andres and I am with Tractive Technology, makers of the AUTO-BLiP.
Simply wanted to thank everyone that has taking the time to comment about your experience with the AUTO-BLiP :)
We will do what we can to make sure our customers are 100% satisfied with our product.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Andres
Tractive Technology, LLC
[email protected]
www.AUTO-BLiP.com

AUTO-BLiP said:
Hello All,

My name is Andres and I am with Tractive Technology, makers of the AUTO-BLiP.
Simply wanted to thank everyone that has taking the time to comment about your experience with the AUTO-BLiP :)
We will do what we can to make sure our customers are 100% satisfied with our product.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Andres
Tractive Technology, LLC
[email protected]
www.AUTO-BLiP.com
Andres, I'm glad you joined us and offered to answer questions for our members. Thanks!

Rick don't drill holes in your dash! Sorry that's the restorer in me...

How about inside the console?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

EZ pass style high strength 3M Dual Lock Velcro tape. Can hold 5 lbs per inch very securely. To remove, heat with a hair dryer and peel off. No drilling, no residue and you can remove the device for security if you need to.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel