The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AUTO-BLiP Install and Calibration Info for the S197/BOSS 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Re: Auto-Blip Install and Instruction Information

Well i installed just 10 minutes ago and it went fairly well, had to remove the seat to get enough room for mf fat azz to get under there. I followed instructions to the letter but wonder if I have the same problem as Pufferfish.
When i switch on key to calibrate status light does not come on. When I push on switch the brake and status lights go on and when I hit the brake pedal the brake light goes off. Cannot get into calibrate mode. Please help Andreas!
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

steveespo said:
Well i installed just 10 minutes ago and it went fairly well, had to remove the seat to get enough room for mf fat azz to get under there. I followed instructions to the letter but wonder if I have the same problem as Pufferfish.
When i switch on key to calibrate status light does not come on. When I push on switch the brake and status lights go on and when I hit the brake pedal the brake light goes off. Cannot get into calibrate mode. Please help Andreas!
Steve

Ok I got to calibration and did the throttle on/off, brake on/off and clutch on/off but when I push the on off for the final time the blip lightl blinks continuously. The brake, clutch, blip and status lights now seem to work but the throttle doesn't blip and my car actually lost throttle control and the little wrench warning light lit up. I shut the car and the unit and restarted, car is normal with the unit off so I am leaving off. Must be the wrong blue wire with white stripe on the throttle that I tapped. There is another blue in the harness but no white strip on it. Hope Andreas and Cathy can help me.
Steve

AUTO-BLiP

Supporting Vendor
Houston

steveespo said:
Ok I got to calibration and did the throttle on/off, brake on/off and clutch on/off but when I push the on off for the final time the blip lightl blinks continuously. The brake, clutch, blip and status lights now seem to work but the throttle doesn't blip and my car actually lost throttle control and the little wrench warning light lit up. I shut the car and the unit and restarted, car is normal with the unit off so I am leaving off. Must be the wrong blue wire with white stripe on the throttle that I tapped. There is another blue in the harness but no white strip on it. Hope Andreas and Cathy can help me.
Steve

Hello Steve - There are 6 inline wires on the APPS - make sure that you are tapped into the 2nd and 5th wire - counting from either side, it doesn't matter. I'm looking into this - one wire is a silver/blue the other is white blue. I suspect this may be causing some confusion. So for now, just make sure you are tapped into the 2nd and 5th. After you make this change, please rerun calibration sequence. The reason the blip LED was blinking after calibration is to let the user know that the calibration for the accelerator pedal position sensor failed. If you have any questions or problems at all - please call us at 602-845-9195.

Just an update from my end. I ran this device at VIR full. Among other changes I made, my lap time is now at 2:15 (down 4 seconds from before). Since I'm not exactly at the top of my skill class it probably is a combination of things, but the auto blipper performed well.

Here is a summary of my mods I ran this time:

- M-18000-C's (1 rotation front, 2 rotations back)
- 302r ABS module (this device is really great and I increased my back straight speed 4 mph with deeper braking)
- auto-blip (no delay, brief duration for fast shifting)
- Rear sway set to loosest setting
- ARP's

Sorry to co-mingle other topics in this thread, but primarily I was testing this device.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

AUTO-BLiP said:
Hello Steve - There are 6 inline wires on the APPS - make sure that you are tapped into the 2nd and 5th wire - counting from either side, it doesn't matter. I'm looking into this - one wire is a silver/blue the other is white blue. I suspect this may be causing some confusion. So for now, just make sure you are tapped into the 2nd and 5th. After you make this change, please rerun calibration sequence. The reason the blip LED was blinking after calibration is to let the user know that the calibration for the accelerator pedal position sensor failed. If you have any questions or problems at all - please call us at 602-845-9195.

Thanks, I will check it and re do it if it's wrong.
Steve

racered302 said:
I've trying to heel toe on the back roads for over a year and haven't had much success. I've tried the side of my foot and my heal nether seems to work. I don't think I have the coordination to pull it off. I would think concentrating more on driving then fumbling around with a technically challenged foot would be more beneficial. Those that can heel/toe, more power to you, but for some it just may not work.

As stated doing it on the street is difficult, I still practice all the time and it is no where as smooth as I get it on track under different conditions. I also sit at red lights with my foot on the brakes and practice hitting the gas. When I started learning I thought there was no way I would ever learn. I tried it on track and it was ugly the first time - so I gave up trying to learn.

As I got faster I needed to push myself to learn and did over time, I am confident you can also. Don't give up and continue to practice even if you buy this product. Yes it is not easy but nothing worthwhile learning ever is. For me it was like one day the light just came on, am I perfect, no far from it. However as I said before when I do it right it gives me a very satisfying feeling.

Also as I said before the Boss factory pedals leave little room for error. The race cars have MUCH bigger gas pedal, I am going to do that mod soon but wanted to learn the hard way first, just the way I'm wired. There is no reason you or anyone can't swap out the pedals to a setup that is made to heal/toe.

Don't give up!
Don't give up!!
Don't give up!!!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

i have been practicing heel-toe for 4 years. it finally clicked the end of last season. it took that long! what usually happened before this, was i did it great on the street, but when at that track, i quickly abandoned it because i needed more braking pressure and just wasn't comfortable with it at speed.

then it just clicked. it was weird. my feet automatically did the heel-toe. now i can't turn it off!

i put in the auto-blip for this past weekend and planned to try it out, but there were track issues (well, participant issues) that prevented me from getting much time on track and i was on hoosiers for the first time. i planned on getting acclimated to the hoosiers and then turn the blipper on. well, that never happened. i got one full session in and was starting to find the limits of the hoosiers and figure out proper tire pressures. the next session was sunday morning...it was sleeting. no blipper for me.

its going to be a while before i am able to try it out at track speeds, but will give it a shot on the street. i know it isn't intuitive enough to effectively handle street situations, where i might blip and downshift without braking, nor will it know that brake and clutch together may mean i am coming up to a stop light. but, i should be able to still get an idea of how it will perform in a track setting.

my concern is, and has always been, the braking zones after long straights, when downshifting multiple gears in one move (rather than sequentially downshifting). i could set the delay time to work for those braking zones, but it will fubar the single gear downshifts everywhere else. i am also concerned that i might not be able to prevent my feet from trying to heel-toe, since they are now on autopilot. we will see.

steveespo said:
Thanks, I will check it and re do it if it's wrong.
Steve

Steve - Did Andreas last idea solve your install problem? I am trying to learn from you guys before attempting mine, hopefully this coming weekend.

If I did get the auto-blip gizmo I wouldn't give up on the heel toe, but I wouldn't let my inability to heel-toe spoil my fun either.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Well, I checked all the connections and I did the calibration again and presto it works.I did have all the wiring exactly as the schematic and instructions called for, I must have messed up the calibration routine on Sunday Went for a test drive, it is a little strange on the street but I figured out that you can clutch, put it in neutral and then brake when approaching stop signs and lights so you don't always sound like Dan Gurney. I still have to play with duration for the downshifts to get my timing right. After 30 minutes I think I like it. Will practice more before track testing at Lime Rock on 4/6.
Steve

I'm sure you notice the on/off button too. I was laughing at myself testing it around town and revving up to stop signs. I just turned it on when I got on the backroads after that. ;D

I am about to install the auto-blip this weekend. I have read the other posts and the couple of problems that were incurred and that will help. Any other tips for me before I start in? I will be removing the diver seat for the first time. Am I correct that this is done by removing the 4 bolts, on on each end of the two slide rails? I am guessing there is also a wiring harness plug that I can disconnect.

LS110 said:
I am about to install the auto-blip this weekend. I have read the other posts and the couple of problems that were incurred and that will help. Any other tips for me before I start in? I will be removing the diver seat for the first time. Am I correct that this is done by removing the 4 bolts, on on each end of the two slide rails? I am guessing there is also a wiring harness plug that I can disconnect.
Yes, two bolts in front 13mm and two nuts in back 15mm. Torque on those is 35 ft/lbs when you put them back. You do have to disconnect the air bags and there are two connections. I always disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and let sit for 10 minutes before disconnecting the airbags to avoid the risk of a deployment. There is a tab on the connectors that you push down to release so you can pull them apart.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

John
Slide the covers straight back off of the rear seat rails, they click in and out. 2 bolts on the front of the rails 13mm, and 2 nuts on the rear of the rails 15mm hold the seat in. Tilt the seat towards the rear and unclip the yellow air bag harness and the gray seat sensor harness. Then fold the seat back as far forward as you can, tilt the bottom off of the rear studs and lift the seat out of the car. Be careful to not drag the front of the seat rails on the plastic sills on the way out, put a toewel or cardboard over the sill so you don't scratch it. Install is the reverse. Much easier (not easy) to get at the wiring on the 3 pedals with the seat out.

Disconnect the battery before detaching the underseat/airbag sensor wiring stuff.
Per the shop manual i think.

The seat is out. The odd thing is I have two 15mm bolts, not nuts, on the back side, just like the 13mm bolts on the front side.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

LS110 said:
The seat is out. The odd thing is I have two 15mm bolts, not nuts, on the back side, just like the 13mm bolts on the front side.

That *is* odd. After reading the above directions...I thought they were perfect. I always think it's strange when there are deviations like this in production cars.

Steves directions are for his car right? Which isnt a production boss. Maybe thats why.The stronger seat bolts make sense for stock recaros. Just a thought.

TMO Supporting Vendors