The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Beaten by Camaros

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyzx

Steve
I hate to point out the obvious, but you're comparing lap times on R compound tires to performance street tires. You're not getting beat by the Camaros, in fact given the gap in times, they'll lose if you switch to R888s.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just wanted to update. Managed to beat my camaro ZL1 buddies at my last three Time attack events. 305/35-18 Nitto 555 II and kooks headers plus more track time was the key. The fully track ready Camaro SS now has 600HP and Hoosiers, so he has left me behind in a puff of smoke. But will be trying Dunlop 03G in 2015 to keep off the 4 ZL1s that are looking for revenge!

Mad Hatter said:
Just wanted to update. Managed to beat my camaro ZL1 buddies at my last three Time attack events. 305/35-18 Nitto 555 II and kooks headers plus more track time was the key. The fully track ready Camaro SS now has 600HP and Hoosiers, so he has left me behind in a puff of smoke. But will be trying Dunlop 03G in 2015 to keep off the 4 ZL1s that are looking for revenge!

Congratulations! Very impressive.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looks like your very right. Will see how my fellow mustang buddy does with the Cortex coilovers he just installed for the last race of the year. If no big change in his times then might just get Koni yellows and spend all the cash on tires. He has almost the same setup that I have but with big stoptech brakes and 295/30-19 R6's.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well our teams mustang gt got third fastest time with very well used R6's. The 450# springs in the rear allowed for removing the rear roll bar. Once that was done the best time dropped by a second first time out. Very happy with my Boss, not in the top group, but only 1 sec behind the mustang with my tattered nitto Nt555R II's. Barely any sign of tread left.

For the final in my class, got second with one modified ZL1 ahead of me and two stock ZL1's behind me. :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:
splatter/mad hatter, if that's the track you are getting spanked on, i can see the issue. you have a series of near 180 degree turns. our cars absolutely detest doing this in stock or near stock form. your comment about having to let off mid turn to get the back end to rotate demonstrates what i just said. the best advice i can give you is to run -2.5 camber and set toe to 1/16" to 1/8" toe OUT. this will help keep the front from washing out mid-turn. it is not advisable settings for lots of street duty(excessive tire wear and darty steering), but will help out on track. also, as mentioned, wider tires will help keep tires from overheating in those 180 degree turns, which will help prevent the front end push.

there is also driving techniques you can use to get a mustang to hang on in a 180 degree turn. the line should be deep and HARD braking, turn in near the back and SUPER late apex. this will make a sharper turn to begin, but it opens up before your front grip would normally give up. the hard braking before the turn in will put the weight of the vehicle on the front tires and allow for "superhuman" grip during that shorter dwell turn situation. this will also induce the rear to kick out slightly, which also helps accomplish the sharper turn and set the car in the right direction to open up the steering and roll on power before your late apex.
8ra0.jpg

Us NASCAR guys call that "diamonding a corner" and yes it does us one of our advantages to fix a disadvantage, power vs understeer. Steve gives sage advice. Glad to see you move up in your group Mad Hatter.
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mad Hatter said:
Looks like your very right. Will see how my fellow mustang buddy does with the Cortex coilovers he just installed for the last race of the year. If no big change in his times then might just get Koni yellows and spend all the cash on tires. He has almost the same setup that I have but with big stoptech brakes and 295/30-19 R6's.

From a long time a ago in a galaxy far, far away:
[QUOTE author=Grant808]
Get another GTR ;)

Start with better tires...R6s or takeoff slicks 295 or bigger all the way around.

Learn to brake late. I'm not familiar with those Ferodos, but did you get the cooling ducts on yet?

Suspension work might help you some, but I'm sure working on your driving would help more. Do you have some video of your runs, if you are open to driving critique?[/QUOTE]

;) You've come a long way... impressive progress for a year and a half, but we gotta get you on some slicks already!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks for the reminders Steve and Grant! This forum is a big help for our teams two mustangs. I was very disappointed when I found out that you can not import used tires to Chile! No take offs for us... :'(

Would love it if Hoosier made a 305 size tire, they jump from 295 to 315 right away. If I do change to Hoosiers I will be moved up into a higher division. So I will probably use 295/30-18 Dunlop 03G semislicks till I get my cortex setup some time this year. The 305/35-18 Nt555II R tires lasted about thirty six, 5 to 10 min time trails but the are totally slick now.

Have 18x10 sve wheels, to bad 315 is a little over the top. If my budget grows would love to get 315s all the way around.

The car wars continue as the Zl1 owners are beefing up their cars for this new season.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Get the Forgestar F14's in 18x11 :) They are a custom offset to fit on our cars.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_268&products_id=624

TMO Supporting Vendors