The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Better buy, Mach 1 or GT500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, you are a glutton for punishment, because the minute the checkered flag falls the ole A/C goes on full blast ---- I do a REAL cool down lap!!

Last edited:
I agree with Bill’s comparison to the Boss 429, and I’ve always wanted one (or a 69 ZL1 Camaro) too!

The 20+ GT500 has every possibility of being the most beastly, series production, ICE Mustang that is ever built. It’s residual value is likely to stay strong.

It depends on the pace and traffic and how the fuel is sloshing but even on E85 I can do most 20min sessions in Advanced, or very close to it. It gets about 2.2MPG.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well there you go, I get close to 5 mpg with the Mach 1, so just think of the gas savings over the years at the track with a Mach over a Supercharged Giant Ass Firebreathing Snake!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I agree with Bill’s comparison to the Boss 429, and I’ve always wanted one (or a 69 ZL1 Camaro) too!

The 20+ GT500 has every possibility of being the most beastly, series production, ICE Mustang that is ever built. It’s residual value is likely to stay strong.

It depends on the pace and traffic and how the fuel is sloshing but even on E85 I can do most 20min sessions in Advanced, or very close to it. It gets about 2.2MPG.

2.2 mpg!!! OMG I'll have greenpeace picketing my house!
But, on the other hand, annoying a bunch of greenies might make it a worthwhile purchase. Icing on the cake!
I've never figured out the mileage with this car, it's the kind of thing that if you have to worry about it you prolly shouldn't be doing this.
I kinda felt I was getting maybe 5 to 7 mpg, but I just did a rough calculation and it works out more like 4MPG. I start with a full tank and then dump a 5 gallon pail in after every 20 minute session. Or if I was too lazy or forgot to buy gas I take the car to the track pump after each session. They have 94, pretty hard to get that anywhere else around here.
Mosport's a stand on it track, prolly would get better mileage at most other tracks. But, the mileage is neither here nor there to me.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Not to get too much further off track, but LOL at 3900 pounds being "not that heavy." I remember the days when my currently 3400 pound S197 was considered a porker and Z28 owners were flabberghasted that their "lightweight" track cars with no A/C or radio were still heavier than my loaded POS.

Now get off my lawn!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I can relate Chris, my Boss 302S only had to weigh 3501 with me and fuel in it for TT2 in NASA, and now my lightweight ( heh, rear seat delete installed ) Mach 1 is 3987 with me and almost a full tank. Surprised she is so nimble on her feet when she is the fattest girl in the Class ( TT3 ).

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Bill, how are your lap times in the Mach1 compared to the olde Boss?? I managed to drive a semi prepared S550 a while back and it was a breeze to drive, felt very sophisticated compared to my Boss. But I'am not very sophisticated so am staying with my animal.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am fairly surprised, because the Mach 1 is 400 lbs heavier and has 40 less HP than my Boss, but I am not running that much slower. I wonder if I can't get close to the same times because even though the power is down, the Mach will outbrake the Boss S and it hooks up a lot better coming out of corners. To clarify, I did not have 15 inch brake rotors or a cambered rear end in the Boss S, so it was not completely modded to the Max. The Mach 1 does feel very neutral and I remember that my GT 350 also felt very refined but to drive it fast I had to toss it around, run over the curbs and get over the mental issue of the car's weight. When I did all that I found the GT 350 ( and now the Mach 1 ) were still able to hang with cars much lighter. The last event I actually had the quickest time in my Production Class against other cars with close to the same horsepower but who weighed 200 - 700 lbs. less. I really think that is the issue with the car, we all know weight is one of the enemies, but one needs to not dwell on that with the Mach 1, one just needs to fly over curbs like it's a chubby Boss 302 ---- the DNA is still there, ha.
The other issue is I really need some seat time, as I have only had a total of 4 actual days on track and I am not convinced I have found the limits yet.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Good article. I could not keep my gt350 and swing the gt500, that would have been ideal. They are special cars in every way that matters to an enthusiast.

Thought the part bout how GT350 owners have an average of 7.8 vehicles in their collection was interesting. Also points to the, it isn't a collector's car for normal $ level folks, its a driving car for us. For true collectors though..... And there are a good number for sale with low miles currently. In the $60K range.

It's all good when the economy is doing well, lets see how they hold up during a recession.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, after this past weekend I am convinced the Mach 1 is the GT 350's slightly fatter, pigeon toed sister, who once she has a few beers is actually as much fun as her supposedly more lithe sister. Frankly, they are both cute, and both will surprise folks at the track, but once I figured out Miss Mach -iavelli, her cunning ways proved that she would take any direction I gave her and bounce back for more. Power is down, over a GT 350, but she comes out of the hole with force ( now don't read into that ) , hooks and runs, though at seventy five hundred she feel asthmatic compared to a Gina T 3 Fifty. Through corners and braking I am not seeing much difference .... but MachWon is willing and desirous for you to throw her around. I simply pretended she was just a big Miata, tossed her everywhere , she planted after flying over every curb and begged for more. Well, I gave it to her and nothing phased her, she ran cool, and after the checkered came out she rewarded me with her own cool nature, blowing chilling AC over my hard ridden, sweaty old body.

I went 1.3 seconds faster on the same track I had run 2 weeks before, tossing her around like a rag doll, and she loved every minute of it. So it convinced me that though she may not be a Voodoo mistress she is one beautiful Bartender at Coyote Ugly , renamed for her as Coyote Willing -- this dog will hunt!!

Money in your pocket when you are old and in a wheelchair , motorized or not;
1. GT 500 - all models
2. GT 350 - all models
3. Mach 1 - Handling Package
4. Mach 1 -- standard

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, dang Bob, now you have me blushing................

Seriously this is such a fun place to hang because everyone has the same passion, whether autocross or track, etc. folks here like to exercise their horses! I have been on various sites since the 90s, and in fact I acquired many of my automotive sales from a few of them when I was selling, yet there are few sites as informative, technical, and helpful as this fun little Ford Forum. In a crazy and somewhat angry World this is a bastion of calm where the only things hot are boiling brake fluid, red rotors, stainless headers with free flow catalysts, etc. Nice to find people who love to help others, and it just goes to show you can't find people any better than Mustang Motörheads!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Well, dang Bob, now you have me blushing................

Seriously this is such a fun place to hang because everyone has the same passion, whether autocross or track, etc. folks here like to exercise their horses! I have been on various sites since the 90s, and in fact I acquired many of my automotive sales from a few of them when I was selling, yet there are few sites as informative, technical, and helpful as this fun little Ford Forum. In a crazy and somewhat angry World this is a bastion of calm where the only things hot are boiling brake fluid, red rotors, stainless headers with free flow catalysts, etc. Nice to find people who love to help others, and it just goes to show you can't find people any better than Mustang Motörheads!

Hey, you used an umlaut. Cut it in half and you'd have a tittle.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Vell, scince ich spreche Deutsche ein bisschen, das umlaut ist ausgesichnet ! Kind of funny, really, as ye olde Spellcheck popped that in, but since those in Germany who are Gearheads, actually use the term Motörheads, then Suzy Spellcheck got that one right.
Petrolheads
Gearheads
Motörheads
Just a few of the names for the same automotive addiction.

Whatever magazine map times are worth…I didn’t realize R&T tested a Mach to be faster than a 350R at VIR. Wow!
Love how these mustangs all lead their lap time per dollar “classes”. 👍

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel