The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: those with shifter issues, enter now!

Also to bad I am not in the USA.

However, as others I am very much interested in the outcome and final product. Hope it will work with my MGW.

So it took me pretty much exactly 1.5 hours to install this unit like Steve had stated. Other than the occasional banging of my head or arms while laying on the ground, since I don't have a lift that is the price I pay. The first thing I noticed after the install is that reverse is extremely easy to get into. I also noticed the precision that came from installing the unit, down shifts are really easy and upshifting doesn't require all those weird hand positions to get into gears, specifically 5-6. There is noticeable vibration through the shifter but no noise or harshness. I think even people with upgraded shifters would benefit from this.

Brandon302 which shifter are you running. I think people will want to know.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Interested in seeing/hearing what kind of improvement comes out for a rather smooth MGW/Whiteline combo in the future. Good can always get better, it's just a matter of degrees. And did I recall correctly, this cannot be used with a front DSSL?

TymeSlayer said:
Interested in seeing/hearing what kind of improvement comes out for a rather smooth MGW/Whiteline combo in the future. Good can always get better, it's just a matter of degrees. And did I recall correctly, this cannot be used with a front DSSL?

I would think you will still have an improvement, I think what Steve did which is different from MGW and the like is rather than assuming the shifter itself is the issue because that is where the symptoms come from he looked for the actual problem and I think he is spot on.

Tulsa, OK

Brandon302 said:
I would think you will still have an improvement, I think what Steve did which is different from MGW and the like is rather than assuming the shifter itself is the issue because that is where the symptoms come from he looked for the actual problem and I think he is spot on.

MGW didn't make a shifter for these cars to address a specific "problem" like what Steve is doing. They make them for lots of cars to improve/shorten the overall feel of the shifter. What Steve is doing is different than what MGW and others have done, IMO.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

it is exactly a matter of degrees of improvement. but the degrees are split between 2 components: precision and accuracy.

precision is how direct and tight the shifter feels. accuracy is how repeatable the shifts are. the aftermarket shifters out there address the precision well. with machined pivot housings instead of the OE plastic and thin sheet metal, the aftermarket is tons more precise. there are differences in how that precision effects throws and gate spacing, but those differences are trainable to the driver. my product has some improvement in precision. it can make a stock shifter feel good and an aftermarket shifter feel better. the degree of improvement is reduced as the shifter is more precise on its own. so, if the stocker is 50% precise and this product makes it 50% better, that equates to 75% precise. if the mgw shifter is 80% precise and this product makes it 50% better, that equates to 90% precise. does that make sense?

so, 50% better for a stock shifter is a real WOW factor, but 10% better for an MGW may not feel like much improvement.

where my product excels is in the accuracy department. it cures the problem, which is the accuracy. none of the shifters on the market cure the problem. some are better than others at mitigating the symptoms of the problem, but since they don't correct the problem itself, even the mighty MGW will still see the occasional symptom pop up. so, if your shifter was 50% repeatable, its now 100%. if it was 90% repeatable, its now 100%. that doesn't mean i guarantee you will never miss a shift again! humans are imperfect. you will not shift perfectly every time in every circumstance. but, this product gives you the mechanical ability to be 100% accurate. it also won't correct transmission or clutch issues you have...although i do believe some "bad clutches" will miraculously be cured by this as well. there are genuine clutch issues, but too often people latch onto something that is an issue for some and translate it to their issue. its of no fault of the person. they need to find some logical reasoning behind their issue and it does make reasonable sense.

this product does compete for space with DS safety loops, so they will not work with this. but, that's why an NHRA legal DS safety loop is integrated. i believe every car should have one anyhow ;)

pufferfish said:
it is exactly a matter of degrees of improvement. but the degrees are split between 2 components: precision and accuracy.

precision is how direct and tight the shifter feels. accuracy is how repeatable the shifts are. the aftermarket shifters out there address the precision well. with machined pivot housings instead of the OE plastic and thin sheet metal, the aftermarket is tons more precise. there are differences in how that precision effects throws and gate spacing, but those differences are trainable to the driver. my product has some improvement in precision. it can make a stock shifter feel good and an aftermarket shifter feel better. the degree of improvement is reduced as the shifter is more precise on its own. so, if the stocker is 50% precise and this product makes it 50% better, that equates to 75% precise. if the mgw shifter is 80% precise and this product makes it 50% better, that equates to 90% precise. does that make sense?

so, 50% better for a stock shifter is a real WOW factor, but 10% better for an MGW may not feel like much improvement.

where my product excels is in the accuracy department. it cures the problem, which is the accuracy. none of the shifters on the market cure the problem. some are better than others at mitigating the symptoms of the problem, but since they don't correct the problem itself, even the mighty MGW will still see the occasional symptom pop up. so, if your shifter was 50% repeatable, its now 100%. if it was 90% repeatable, its now 100%. that doesn't mean i guarantee you will never miss a shift again! humans are imperfect. you will not shift perfectly every time in every circumstance. but, this product gives you the mechanical ability to be 100% accurate. it also won't correct transmission or clutch issues you have...although i do believe some "bad clutches" will miraculously be cured by this as well. there are genuine clutch issues, but too often people latch onto something that is an issue for some and translate it to their issue. its of no fault of the person. they need to find some logical reasoning behind their issue and it does make reasonable sense.

this product does compete for space with DS safety loops, so they will not work with this. but, that's why an NHRA legal DS safety loop is integrated. i believe every car should have one anyhow ;)

OK, all this suspense! I am sure everyone has wanted to guess what this is! Just my guess, but this has got to be a transmission mounted shifter. Instead of the body mounted shifter.

Another update, I noticed today that going around a corner and shifting while into it or coming out while the car isn't completely straight I can effortlessly find the gear I want. I think I would be 100% satisfied with this piece if it had come with a sticker to show off, since I finally have a Blowfish piece on my car.

Brandon302 said:
Another update, I noticed today that going around a corner and shifting while into it or coming out while the car isn't completely straight I can effortlessly find the gear I want. I think I would be 100% satisfied with this piece if it had come with a sticker to show off, since I finally have a Blowfish piece on my car.

That's the biggest improvement I'm looking for! I got lockouts and a mis-shift with the stock shifter when shifting mid corner. Even though it's not ideal to shift mid corner, sometimes you just have to lol. So that's good to hear!

F.D. Sako said:
That's the biggest improvement I'm looking for! I got lockouts and a mis-shift with the stock shifter when shifting mid corner. Even though it's not ideal to shift mid corner, sometimes you just have to lol. So that's good to hear!

This is true, I do it mainly on the street since I am not pushing it around a corner on the street. However I can see this helping if you are upshifting while exiting a corner, that always seemed a little vague to me.

06mach1 said:
OK, all this suspense! I am sure everyone has wanted to guess what this is! Just my guess, but this has got to be a transmission mounted shifter. Instead of the body mounted shifter.

Yup, exactly what I'm thinking. A bracket or brace of sorts that solidly mounts/ties the semi-remote shifter housing to the transmission case and/or transmission rear mount, effectively creating an integral shifter (akin to a Tremec). Whatever the design, sure sounds promising...can't wait to see what Steve's come up with!

Alright!
So that means the MGW modifications were made.

Black Boss, which MGW version do you have?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

F.D. Sako said:
Black Boss, which MGW version do you have?

I have the version with the studs underneath to secure the heat shield.

Went for a quick test today and all is good, although I didn't go far enough to get high rpm shifts in 3/4/5, as I was on the Slicks ;)

Sounds good. I have all sorts of shifter issues. Ford had to replace some of the synchros and said it was because of abuse (NOT!) and that they will no longer warranty my trannie. What is involved in the install? I have a '13 #505.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davecarlson007 said:
Sounds good. I have all sorts of shifter issues. Ford had to replace some of the synchros and said it was because of abuse (NOT!) and that they will no longer warranty my trannie. What is involved in the install? I have a '13 #505.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jacking the car up and laying on your back to start. Removing a few bolts and installing the new part and tighting a few bolts. In about 1.5hrs youll be done and a very happy camper. I'm sure people are going to have a different out come because of differant shifters that people have. I have the hurst which is about the same as the OEM shifter and it did wonders for me. Just give Blowfish racing a little more time to sort out all the legal issuies and for all the beta testers to report there findings with the proto type part. If you get the same out come as I did....well youll be one happy camper. I now drive my boss not even thinking about which way to shift to the next gear and what RPM your at so the F-ing car will shift without forceing or grinding or being locked out. as I stated before...Im sure out comes will vary from car to car or driver to driver.

;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

I don't have shifter issues but I'll probably still get one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors