The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Camaro ?

6
0
Got in a heated debate with a co-worker and don't know the right answer. I don't track my Boss so I don't know and hope someone can help. Considering the Camaro has a 6.2l which is 376 cubic inch motor can it race in the same class as a Boss with a 302 cubic inch? To me it doesn't seem like a fair comparison and should give the Camaro a huge advantage. This conversation came about from all the magazines comparing the Boss to the ZL1 and the famous Car and Drive that took the 1LE vs. Track Pack Mustang not a Boss. In the late 60's they were both on the same playing field with a 302 cubic inch motor. What happened to comparing apples to apples?
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Not exactly sure what you were debating with the co-worker. I didn't think the comparisons were 'fair', but I might have a hard time being objective. I am certain that the GM cars are not for me, and that my Fords were built without our tax dollars. Competition is good for pony cars, but I'm not sure there is really anything competing with Mustangs, as I've only seen a couple of new Camaros at the track in the last two years...might have been only one. And it was a painfully slow ZL1 'vert.
 
6
0
My question is do the Mustang and Camaro race in the same class or does the different motor size put them in different classes.
 
RFH said:
My question is do the Mustang and Camaro race in the same class or does the different motor size put them in different classes.
They race in the same Grand Am class, GS. But the race cars, while based on the street cars, do have certain restrictions like restrictor plates to keep them "fair"

http://www.fordracingparts.com/competition/default.asp

http://www.grand-am.com/ScheduleResults/ContinentalTire.aspx

And SCCA World Challenge GTS.

http://www.world-challenge.com/
 
Take comfort in this: for grand am, the mustang is forced to weight MORE than the camaro AND at some point last season was running a restrictor while on the camaro it was not required. That is how the made them equal!
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
The 6.2L LS3 engine in the Camaro is a nice engine but it's no match for the Boss engine in stock trim. The Boss engine has less cubes but makes more power and revs higher. Once you start talking about the Supercharged 6.2L LS9 variant, then you've got something that belittles the Boss.
 
As pointed out above, they do race together in the GS class in Grand Am. Yes the Boss has a 55mm restrictor, and is limited to 7,000 RPM. It weighs more in race trim due to the rules. The Camaro is allowed light weight body panels to reduce weight, and has no such engine restrictions, and was allowed some performance enhancements to be competitive.

In street trim an SS is no match for a Boss, the 1LE could be depending on driver. As another member here can attest, I coached a Boss driver at a recent track event and we passed a ZL1 in our group nearly every session. The last session we passed a Z06. Real world results often do not match magazine comparison tests, which are often biased toward the latest and greatest, or some quantitative unicorn like "it just feels better". This is often applied when the performance winner does not match the preference of the "testers".
 
I can only respond to my experience at track days and say that a stock Camaro SS when driven by equally competent drivers is absolutely no match for the Boss. I've driven (5) track days so far this year and have only seen two SS Camaros which quickly faded in my rear view mirror! Have yet to see an LZ1 or 1LE so can't comment on how they'd stack up and don't really care what the magazines say. I would expect better performance vs. the SS but don't forget all 3 versions are still much heavier than the Boss and will EAT tires and brake pads in a big hurry!! I don't think the new Z28 at $ 60K+ will be the answer either but keep trying GM.
 
Jumping in the middle of this but here goes: Just bought my 12 Boss 10k miles, came with a track key. Car was purchased 2 days ago at the local dealership. They said that I would have to pay an additional $302 for the install and about $200 labor. I'm in Huntsville, Al. Does this sound right? I'd like to get it done cheaper and I thought that the 302 would cover everything since I already have the key.
 
pucksdown said:
Jumping in the middle of this but here goes: Just bought my 12 Boss 10k miles, came with a track key. Car was purchased 2 days ago at the local dealership. They said that I would have to pay an additional $302 for the install and about $200 labor. I'm in Huntsville, Al. Does this sound right? I'd like to get it done cheaper and I thought that the 302 would cover everything since I already have the key.

Ford Racing Boss 302 Trackey Software M-14204-MBTKA $220.00
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=trackey&search_in_description=1
as for labor 200 is alittle high. should not be more than one hour labor
 
ArizonaGT said:
The 6.2L LS3 engine in the Camaro is a nice engine but it's no match for the Boss engine in stock trim. The Boss engine has less cubes but makes more power and revs higher. Once you start talking about the Supercharged 6.2L LS9 variant, then you've got something that belittles the Boss.

They will do better I am sure when they stop trying to make a dinosaur run with race horses. ;D
 
518
14
geneva said:
I can only respond to my experience at track days and say that a stock Camaro SS when driven by equally competent drivers is absolutely no match for the Boss. I've driven (5) track days so far this year and have only seen two SS Camaros which quickly faded in my rear view mirror! Have yet to see an LZ1 or 1LE so can't comment on how they'd stack up and don't really care what the magazines say. I would expect better performance vs. the SS but don't forget all 3 versions are still much heavier than the Boss and will EAT tires and brake pads in a big hurry!! I don't think the new Z28 at $ 60K+ will be the answer either but keep trying GM.

I saw two late-model Camaro SS's at a track day yesterday. One had a ZL1 hood and wheels, and I thought at first it might actually be a ZL1. That misconception disappeared as quickly as the Camaro did in my rear view mirror! I went over later to look at it and it was an SS. Simply not in the same league as the Boss.

Hopefully I'll see a 1LE, Z/28 or ZL1 out there someday. It was hot yesterday, and I've been told the ZL1 simply can't take the heat when lapping a road course. I'm sure the 1LE would give the Boss a run, and the Z/28 had better smoke it if it comes in at $60K+ as rumored.
 
1,437
352
ArizonaGT said:
The 6.2L LS3 engine in the Camaro is a nice engine but it's no match for the Boss engine in stock trim. The Boss engine has less cubes but makes more power and revs higher. Once you start talking about the Supercharged 6.2L LS9 variant, then you've got something that belittles the Boss.

There was a Camaro SS at LS the other day and the guy was gittin' that thing around the track. Rick and I both agreed it was a lot faster than we expected and the tires did not look very wide, maybe 265's on stock rims. Not sure what else he had but it took a little to pass him, though Rick mentioned how fast he disappeared in the rear view mirror. ;D
 
coboss said:
I'm sure the 1LE would give the Boss a run, and the Z/28 had better smoke it if it comes in at $60K+ as rumored.

Has anyone ever laid eyes on one of these fabled unicorns? other than at the auto show, I have yet to see one on the road anywhere.
 
518
14
NewBossowner said:
Has anyone ever laid eyes on one of these fabled unicorns? other than at the auto show, I have yet to see one on the road anywhere.

I saw a 1LE in a parking lot. The Z/28 is not yet available.
 
41
0
I have seen one of those unicorns at etown last week. The 1LE was running 13.9, while my stock boss was running consistent 12.6's!
 
I have a friend that has a new 1le. He knows what he's doing at the track so we should be able to answer this by the end of the summer. :)
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top