The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooling upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centri5.0 said:
So call me crazy, but I cut giant holes in my hood and riveted on runcool hood louvers. Two of em! That and the boss s radiator.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately that will have virtually no effect on cooling....I have the Tiger hood and S radiator and it wasn't until I added the FRPP cooler and an open grille that I brought water and oil temps down.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
Unfortunately that will have virtually no effect on cooling....I have the Tiger hood and S radiator and it wasn't until I added the FRPP cooler and an open grille that I brought water and oil temps down.

This.

Needs more airflow into the radiator to resolve the issue.

Forgot to mention no grille, and cut out all grill mounting tabs. Think you are right on regarding the fan though.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
centri5.0 said:
Think you are right on regarding the fan though.

I've got the 302S radiator, Ford Racing oil cooler, Tiger Hood, 302S grille and the GT500 fan. I'm at altitude, and can overheat the car in 4 laps (like name that tune).

If I pull the grill, I don't have an issue.

We'll see how it does at Hastings, Hallett and Road America over the coming months. Might end up pulling the A/C and sealing up the airflow so that everything has to go through the radiator.

JScheier said:
I've got the 302S radiator, Ford Racing oil cooler, Tiger Hood, 302S grille and the GT500 fan. I'm at altitude, and can overheat the car in 4 laps (like name that tune).

If I pull the grill, I don't have an issue.

We'll see how it does at Hastings, Hallett and Road America over the coming months. Might end up pulling the A/C and sealing up the airflow so that everything has to go through the radiator.

wow! That is quick. What date will you be at Hallett, it is my local track. New pavement is gorgeous. Thought about pulling my ac as well, since I never really use it. Hmmmm. Will need to get that fan ordered.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
centri5.0 said:
wow! That is quick. What date will you be at Hallett, it is my local track. New pavement is gorgeous.

NASA TX is there June 21-22. I'll be there the 20th - 23rd.

Will need to get that fan ordered.

I think I posted elsewhere, but at the time I got mine, RockAuto had the cheapest price for the Motorcraft GT500 fan. I know Drew (ArizonaBoss) and I grabbed them before they hiked the price.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
LS110 said:
I also found Gary and his team to be very helpful and responsive. My mechanic said the Fluidyne oil cooler would be in addition to our stock cooler. Please ask Gary if he has any instructions for installing that and the obtaining the custom hoses that would be required. I am interested in hooking mine up as I would guess I will gain a least another 5 degree drop.

If the fittings are the same diameter as stock, then the cooler might be able to be hooked up with the stock lower hose rotated about 90 degrees. Might need to cut the lower portion of it and use an internal coupler to make the rotation. I wonder if that's their intent in having the outlet right there. That oil-water heat exchanger looks huge....I'm guessing it's rated for more than 120,000 or 150,000 btu/hr. Could be a lot more than 10 degrees drop if the radiator side and airflow can keep up!

What is bad about running no grille at all? I assume the grille is used to prevent the leaves and dirt from blocking the radiator?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
13Boss#3328 said:
What is bad about running no grille at all? I assume the grille is used to prevent the leaves and dirt from blocking the radiator?

Least of my worries. Rocks, gravel and rubber turds puncturing cooler cores, condenser or damaging fins are my concerns. But I still wouldn't hesitate to pull the grill on a hot day or if overheating.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
LS110 said:
I also found Gary and his team to be very helpful and responsive. My mechanic said the Fluidyne oil cooler would be in addition to our stock cooler. Please ask Gary if he has any instructions for installing that and the obtaining the custom hoses that would be required. I am interested in hooking mine up as I would guess I will gain a least another 5 degree drop.

Yes, instructions and design philosophy. My hope is Gary will join in on the thread and answer all our questions here on BMO. Gary and crew are obviously car people and I look forward to the interaction.

Domestic Product

Update, I have communicated with Gary the owner operator of Fluidyne a couple times. He says he is interested in getting on the forum and such. He is just super busy . I will shoot him another reminder email. His radiator looks to be promising for tracked Boss's. We just need more design and install info from him. Also some group purchasing to get the cost down would be nice.
If others are interested please shoot him a email. [email protected] , make sure to say you are from BMO.
Just shot him a reminder.

Hello All - I'm "Coilman", a NEWBEE on the Boss Forum.

I have been reading a few of the questions regarding cooling and specifically, about the FLUIDYNE Boss 302R cooling module. It's my hope that in the future, I can provide some useful information about the cooling module and at the same time, use your important inputs to help us make continuous improvements to our line of Boss 302R coolers.

Gary Johnson, Owner
FLUIDYNE High Performance

Hi Gary, I'm glad you could join us. I saw your cooler on the Chuckwalla academy cars I drove and it's a quality piece. I look forward to your expertise as many of us have had cooling issues on our high revving 5.0 engines.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Coilman said:
Hello All - I'm "Coilman", a NEWBEE on the Boss Forum.

I have been reading a few of the questions regarding cooling and specifically, about the FLUIDYNE Boss 302R cooling module. It's my hope that in the future, I can provide some useful information about the cooling module and at the same time, use your important inputs to help us make continuous improvements to our line of Boss 302R coolers.

Gary Johnson, Owner
FLUIDYNE High Performance

Outstanding! Welcome aboard....can't wait to hear about cooling solutions that you've come up with.

Wayne

Domestic Product

Welcome aboard Gary ! Looking forward to getting to a real solution for the Boss and other Mustangs that see track time and have over heating issue's. I feel it is a privilege to have you here on BMO and to share your vast knowledge of cooling.
Think it would be great for you to share what you feel could be improved over the stock cooling set up in the Boss for track use. Obviously it involves your Boss 302R-HX .
If you could share a little about your involvement with the S-197 and Ford and how the Boss 302R-HX came about. The design philosophy behind it and how it works that would appreciated.

I will log on Sat (with my laptop) and say more about FLUIDYNEs history with Ford starting with the Cobra engine oil cooler and GT-350 engine oil cooler development in 1968 and ending with our involvement with Tiger Racing and their successful campaign to win the Continental Championship in a Boss 302R.

Thanks for your interest!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Gary
Thanks for joining us, I am very interested in an integrated oil cooling solutions to run in series with my air to oil cooling setup similar to the stock Boss setup but without the reliability issues of the OEM setup. Increased coolant capacity and an all aluminum matrix that is competitively priced with the Ford Racing part.
Keep us up to speed, we are a group of doers and buyers here, not many window shoppers.
Steve

I have the Fluidyne Boss 302R radiator and finally connected the oil cooler a week ago. I had the water cooler portion installed much earlier. Yesterday at RA the air temp was 80 degrees and the max water temp I hit was just under 220. Very pleased with seeing the temps staying well in control.

TMO Supporting Vendors