The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Cooling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ontario
What cooling upgrades do I REALLY need?
Bigger radiator?
10R80 trans cooler?
Engine oil cooler?
Diff cooler?
All of the above?

I noticed I can probably barbecue a whole chicken in the front wheel wells, fender vents?

Time attack purposes, the tracks are small to medium , from 3 to 3.6 km, with 5 laps max on a base model 2020 GT.

Will do brake cooling 100%, brakes fade after 3 laps but how will they go with 11” apex wheels?

Last edited:
Is not brake cooling the issue. Is the reverse rotor. U need to change that.
U need big cooler for oil and trans. Like.. big.
U need a new radiator. The base is too small. Mishimoto is a good option
Trans cooler. Yes i repeat it. Above 108 C and u ruin your trans (which u will anyway so plan to upgrade it. )
Racelouvers.com on hood helps.
Diff cooler. It depends. 5 laps u ok. Use a leaf blower and spray some water in the front to cool down between sessions
Alessandro

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ontario
Is not brake cooling the issue. Is the reverse rotor. U need to change that.
U need big cooler for oil and trans. Like.. big.
U need a new radiator. The base is too small. Mishimoto is a good option
Trans cooler. Yes i repeat it. Above 108 C and u ruin your trans (which u will anyway so plan to upgrade it. )
Racelouvers.com on hood helps.
Diff cooler. It depends. 5 laps u ok. Use a leaf blower and spray some water in the front to cool down between sessions
Alessandro
Based on your build thread, first priorities are a huge trans cooler, an oil cooler and rotors.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
For time attack on a small to medium track, you don't need much cooling upgrades. It's typical in time attack to do 1 lap at a time, sometimes sandwiched by a warm-up and cool-down lap. However, it's nice to be able to continuously hot lap for us newer drivers, to get a lot of seat time and practice. So it just depends on how much you want to drive, really. I've only upgraded the radiator on my car so far, so I do a cool down lap after each lap. Of course, if things are overheating before you're able to complete one hot lap, then that's a problem, but then you'll know pretty quickly what you need to upgrade first.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ontario
For time attack on a small to medium track, you don't need much cooling upgrades. It's typical in time attack to do 1 lap at a time, sometimes sandwiched by a warm-up and cool-down lap. However, it's nice to be able to continuously hot lap for us newer drivers, to get a lot of seat time and practice. So it just depends on how much you want to drive, really. I've only upgraded the radiator on my car so far, so I do a cool down lap after each lap. Of course, if things are overheating before you're able to complete one hot lap, then that's a problem, but then you'll know pretty quickly what you need to upgrade first.
Ontario Time Attack: all events are 1 warm-up, 3 laps, and 1 cool-down.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria

Issue is that on small tracks ones you switch to track tires / brakes you cook the engine before you manage to warm-up tires/brakes. Or at least that's my problem. Then ones you do that there is no way you can post a good flying lap because your first one your tires / brakes not up to temp but on your second your engine CHT is high so ECU is pulling timing. Not sure how that works for A10 cars.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ontario
Issue is that on small tracks ones you switch to track tires / brakes you cook the engine before you manage to warm-up tires/brakes. Or at least that's my problem. Then ones you do that there is no way you can post a good flying lap because your first one your tires / brakes not up to temp but on your second your engine CHT is high so ECU is pulling timing. Not sure how that works for A10 cars.
Is there space for trans cooler, oil cooler and bigger radiator?

would I be able to put them towards the rear for weight distribution?

A big oil cooler will help with engine cht temps too.
Also a mishi radiator helped me. (together with water wetter and 90% water. )
And of course louvers. And ducting. These are main things. You will see a dramatic drop in temp once u duct (well) and use racelouvers.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
A big oil cooler will help with engine cht temps too.
Also a mishi radiator helped me. (together with water wetter and 90% water. )
And of course louvers. And ducting. These are main things. You will see a dramatic drop in temp once u duct (well) and use racelouvers.

To be fair my highest CHT's are only up to 242F or so so I don't really need dramatic improvement more so I need an improvement of a few degrees so I'm out of the pulling timing zone.

@flyhalf is a great resource, several of us met up with him at Daytona and crewed to a national championship. with an automatic transmission. His car was running 170mph at Daytona, that's GT4 mph for those scoring at home. So he really knows what he is talking about with the cooling aspects of this model. He also does a lot of his own experimenting and work on the car. He would be the guy I would listen to if I had these issues because he's already been there.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel