The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

(F)ord stockholders/investors

What's your call?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Buy on the dip and sell whatever that number of shares is after the stock goes up a dollar or so in the next 1-2 weeks?

Is there a compelling reason to care about what this company does day to day?

Besides making possibly $.50 or a $1.00 a share, in a short period of time?

caveat: ignore my advice if you believe the long awaited stock market correction will happen in the next couple of weeks.

P.S. I already blew it by waiting too long to jump into JCP as mentioned earlier in this thread-JCP is a dangerous momentum stock that can go sideways suddenly...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
four-walling said:
Buy on the dip and sell whatever that number of shares is after the stock goes up a dollar or so in the next 1-2 weeks?
I already do that 'on the side'...but I like to call local tops and bottoms...
Is there a compelling reason to care about what this company does day to day?
I'm overweight on F...so I care!
Besides making possibly $.50 or a $1.00 a share, in a short period of time?
....and I'm usually looking for more efficient trades.
caveat: ignore my advice if you believe the long awaited stock market correction will happen in the next couple of weeks.
Nah. What's to correct?
P.S. I already blew it by waiting too long to jump into JCP as mentioned earlier in this thread-JCP is a dangerous momentum stock that can go sideways suddenly...
While I see some of the merits in looking at JCP for the long shot...I wouldn't personally stick my hand in it. I prefer to use the lever to flush... :eek:

My comment for today was mostly that I felt the wide-spread hurt...at least on paper! For Ford, I wasn't expecting this dip this far down is all.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
The twitter IPO again shows that you have to ignore the fundamentals.

Scientific evidence shows that picking stocks by throwing darts at a board pasted with a list of stocks delivers returns at least equal to making informed investing decisions.

:)

four-walling said:

Scientific evidence shows that picking stocks by throwing darts at a board pasted with a list of stocks delivers returns at least equal to making informed investing decisions.

Mean reversion is one of the strongest influences on stock prices. ;)

Grant 302

four-walling said:
No. ;)

But seriously, IPOs are more about the emotion of the traders involved.

Separate point, but remember '99-'00? I'll start to worry about the markets when it feels more like that. And I was truly surprised by the TWTR IPO.

Yes.

However, picking a market direction is somewhat an art instead of chance. I've done a decent job of calling market moves since 1986.

NFSBOSS said:
Mean reversion is one of the strongest influences on stock prices. ;)

Yes. Sad, but true. Psychology is a driver behind it. Even in a group with 90%+ consensus on the direction which a stock will move, it must move in the other direction. It still surprises me how useful bollinger bands are...

EDIT: to fix quote tags

Grant 302 said:
Yes. Sad, but true. Psychology is a driver behind it. Even in a group with 90%+ consensus on the direction which a stock will move, it must move in the other direction. It still surprises me how useful bollinger bands are...
I'm not much of a trader but I do get to talk to the brightest minds on Wall Street and globally. You'd be surprised how many only buy index ETF's. :eek:

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
In regards to my "mad money", I only invest in a stock that I know something about and it must be at least at a 1 year low.

As far as my broker goes, I leave him alone and let him make any decisions he sees fit.

Grant 302

NFSBOSS said:
I'm not much of a trader but I do get to talk to the brightest minds on Wall Street and globally. You'd be surprised how many only buy index ETF's. :eek:

I'm only surprised because I've been using them too...since '08. My only caution is to make sure you are using ones that have reasonable volume so you don't get screwed on the bid/ask spread when buying or selling. They make it relatively easy to make money wether markets are up or down.

NFSBOSS said:
Is it time to take profits in the US equity markets?

Not to be flippant...but it's *always* time to take profits!

As in 'cash out'? Short answer is, No. But I wouldn't be without cash reserves.

There is likely to be significant correction within the next year or two, but my short term prediction is positive overall through/past 2014, with the exception of any catastrophic/unforeseen events, etc.

Grant 302

Should be a good run in the near term for F. Just completed a head-and-shoulders pattern in conjunction with long term rising tops and bottoms. I hope it finishes the year strong...to help fuel big moves next year with a good short squeeze.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Grant 302 said:
I already do that 'on the side'...but I like to call local tops and bottoms...I'm overweight on F...so I care!....and I'm usually looking for more efficient trades.Nah. What's to correct? While I see some of the merits in looking at JCP for the long shot...I wouldn't personally stick my hand in it. I prefer to use the lever to flush... :eek:

Well, JCP is up 50% in the last 30 days. I hate it when I miss calling the bottom...

Grant 302

^ugh.
That update really let a lot of steam out...even if it wasn't bad news for the long term.

Today's movement was more about the markets rather that anything Ford related. Though it may be a while before the stock price will reflect anticipated gains from this years new product launches. The only reaction seems to be from the related costs and impact to the bottom line, despite solid top line numbers and increases. The 25% increase in dividend didn't even seem to help much.

Last years earnings will be out on Tuesday, but I'm not expecting a pop in stock price until sales numbers from the new products start surprising to the upside.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
In my opinion, the only thing that will cause the stock of an old time, stalwart company like Ford to jump long term would be an exceptional product like the 1965 Mustang.

Barring that unlikely event, the future of Ford looks to be a reflection of the past for years to come.

TMO Supporting Vendors