The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Floods, Fires, Fear of Covid!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Again stuff is so politicized right now it's hard to know what to believe. Unless there is some form of qualifier, such as cases per " X" amount, and also a time frame attached, the information can be twisted in 5 different ways.

Sad, but true.

There was really good very detailed data coming out of our county from the beginning. A few months in the plug got pulled on that and everything was buttered over by weird averages and weird stats like ‘positivity’ rates. I mean, W. T. F., over?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Numbers may be spiking but that also has to be viewed in the context of public and economic activity. Some areas are approaching the high numbers last seen in April and May. However, the streets were pretty much a ghost town during those months. Now we have traffic jams again and the mall, supermarket, Walmart, etc. parking lots are almost full. I'm guessing there is a ten-fold increase (if not 50x) in people venturing outside their house but there has not been a 10x and certainly not a 50x increase in COVID cases.

While I'm not proposing we have people packed into tight quarters but going back to curfews and total lockdowns is not practical. There has to be a balance.

Grant 302

There has to be a balance.

I generally agree. If everyone had access to, and would wear ‘real’ masks, with a ‘reasonable’ level of contact tracing, I think things could mostly have gone back to normal. Those two things didn’t happen here and are the main reasons this is dragging on so long.

These new infections have to be slowed by some means...Less indoor interactions..activities..this will only get worse as the holidays approach..................People don't seem to realize this is a disease that will get you in the blink of an eye...sorry for the drama..but it's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .....Fab and trump..stay out of this!!!!!!!!!!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
As testing increases so does the number of cases.
Doesn't necessarily mean more infections, it just means more infections are diagnosed and reported.
Lets say you had a room with 10 people in it and 5 of them have covid but no testing was done, so no one knew they had it. You also had a second room with 10 people in it and 5 of them had covid but you tested them and determine those 5 indeed had covid, which room actually had more covid? Room 2 had more CASES because they were diagnosed but they had the exact same amount of infections. This is how the media distorts things to promote an agenda. Its disgusting.

Just a casual observation, but I tried a new mask on, ( in IMSA we have to wear masks at all times, then on the planes, and airports, and depending the state, everyplace but the vehicle and hotel room) and i broke out like a 12 year old kid, not sure what the mask was made of, but my skin completely reacted with it, I still have the scars. We also seem to all get sinus infections and sore throats by the time we get home. I ditch the masks at every opportunity, I understand the reason for them, but they just can't be that healthy, I started using the " sleeves", I'm not sure they do anything except meet the criteria, and I swap them out every day at the track.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
source.gif

Grant 302

The lack of testing certainly was a problem. And so is the BS ‘positivity’ rate. I mean if you test everybody, every week, positivity would drop to the floor. That’s why I have a problem with that stat. Useless. Just like your example.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The lack of testing certainly was a problem. And so is the BS ‘positivity’ rate. I mean if you test everybody, every week, positivity would drop to the floor. That’s why I have a problem with that stat. Useless. Just like your example.
The manipulation of data to promote an agenda on any side of this is just not helpful.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Grant 302

Just a casual observation, but I tried a new mask on, ( in IMSA we have to wear masks at all times, then on the planes, and airports, and depending the state, everyplace but the vehicle and hotel room) and i broke out like a 12 year old kid, not sure what the mask was made of, but my skin completely reacted with it, I still have the scars. We also seem to all get sinus infections and sore throats by the time we get home. I ditch the masks at every opportunity, I understand the reason for them, but they just can't be that healthy, I started using the " sleeves", I'm not sure they do anything except meet the criteria, and I swap them out every day at the track.

Those are unfortunate and real issues, but didn’t you wear respirators as a fireman?

I’ve been trained in and for civilian life use PPE often enough to be comfortable with it. OSHA, hazmat, clean room experience in the past for work...paint and chemical stuff for personal. So not a problem for me at all.

Grant 302

The manipulation of data to promote an agenda on any side of this is just not helpful.

Sorry. Just re-read my response to you. Totally didn’t mean it that way. Really.

I mean, ‘it is easily misleading, like your examples imply.’

Seriously, my apologies for how that reads.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄
I've never seen a more beautiful thing in my life!
Expecting 9-10 inches throughout the day. This should hopefully snuff out these wild fires.

Me, my wife and daughter have been tested twice for Covid due to the fact there was close proximity exposure (CPE). We've all come out negative each tyme. I'm back in the office twice a week and my daughter is not allowed back to school until next week. Both of the CPE cases stem from Ava's school. What I don't understand is why they have her going in once a week. Seems to me it's a complete waste of tyme and if you fear exposure so much, why would bother? I some tymes feel like that Sheep in the middle of those two yapping sheep in Fabman's post. The yapper on the left are the politicians and the one on the right is the fourth estate. Those two are really wolves in sheeps clothing. And there I am in the middle wondering where I stashed my FN FiveseveN.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sorry. Just re-read my response to you. Totally didn’t mean it that way. Really.

I mean, ‘it is easily misleading, like your examples imply.’

Seriously, my apologies for how that reads.
No offense taken, but thanks for your consideration.

Those are unfortunate and real issues, but didn’t you wear respirators as a fireman?

I’ve been trained in and for civilian life use PPE often enough to be comfortable with it. OSHA, hazmat, clean room experience in the past for work...paint and chemical stuff for personal. So not a problem for me at all.

Respirators have been long gone in the fire service, everything is Self Contained Breathing Apparatus now, the only time you see a respirator is possibly on a medical call and they are disposable, even the SCBA units are assigned per person and there is a required cleaning process for them.

Grant 302

Respirators have been long gone in the fire service, everything is Self Contained Breathing Apparatus now, the only time you see a respirator is possibly on a medical call and they are disposable, even the SCBA units are assigned per person and there is a required cleaning process for them.

I’m just surprised that anyone that’s had to wear any sort of filter/mask/breathing apparatus would have issues both in choice and use.

Or I understand the opposition from people who have never worn anything like that in the past. At least somewhat more.

I restocked on respirators since I had like 2 left when the stupid CDC and WHO were saying ‘no need’ or ‘don’t wear’ them. That was on 1/27. So I’m not wearing them because I’m following their recommendation. It’s because I’m educated a bit on virology/microbiology.

I think another sad truth is that there are sheep on both sides of this issue.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I’m just surprised that anyone that’s had to wear any sort of filter/mask/breathing apparatus would have issues both in choice and use.

Or I understand the opposition from people who have never worn anything like that in the past. At least somewhat more.

I restocked on respirators since I had like 2 left when the stupid CDC and WHO were saying ‘no need’ or ‘don’t wear’ them. That was on 1/27. So I’m not wearing them because I’m following their recommendation. It’s because I’m educated a bit on virology/microbiology.

I think another sad truth is that there are sheep on both sides of this issue.
I'll agree to that.
Unfortunately Integrity has become a casualty in these hyperpartisan times, its hard to know what to believe anymore.
Its all about my team vs your team and the hell with the truth as long as my team wins regardless of the consequences.
Its healthy to have a dialogue about policies and have different opinions, and let the best ideas be implemented, but we've gone way way past that and I don't know how we are going to make it back to sanity.
My father taught me "Its not who's right that matters, it's whats right". I wish more people felt that way.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
For the record, I wear my mask when I'm in a situation that requires it and I don't complain.
But I also don't wear it at home or in my shop or in the car when I'm driving by myself...some people are so funny about that.
Regardless, as previously mentioned, this has been so politicized that I basically don't believe anything anymore.

TMO Supporting Vendors