The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The cams you want exist! They are the CJ cams!

They use the max 13mm lift on intake and exhaust. Duration is smaller than comp cams so you keep your low end...you just won't get as high of a top end, so it probably won't be more than 480rwhp (purely speculating of course).

BadPony said:
Checking FordRacingPartsDirect.com this morning and they have the Cobra Jet intake on sale for $699.95. For anyone thinking of making the swap I doubt you will find a lower price than that.
Not exactly true. Tasca Ford has the Cobra Jet intake for ~$653 using the SVTPerformance discount code.

Swiss Boss said:
Yes it seems a little low but it looks like they sacrifice some HP to get that torque curve.
Because most of the 500hp+ dyno sheet I have seen, loose a lot of torque below 5000rpm.

Probably has to do with their cam design than the TB I think.

I don't think it has headers, just an offroad H pipe.

pufferfish said:
The cams you want exist! They are the CJ cams!

They use the max 13mm lift on intake and exhaust. Duration is smaller than comp cams so you keep your low end...you just won't get as high of a top end, so it probably won't be more than 480rwhp (purely speculating of course).

Yes but it seems Ford went with a less aggressive ramp than comp cam. I bet you can milk out more power with a very aggressive ramp and keeping the same duration.

I really want to see a comparison between the cobra jet cams and comp cams.

Steve I would highly suggest cleaning up the CJ intake manifold's runner outlets and smooth the intake up a little bit. I have attached a link to a thread detailing the process and how he did it. I also attached the dyno sheet for everyone to see about the power that he picked up from doing this mod these are SAE results. The only mods he had besides the CJ IM and SCJ TB is cat delete pipes on a coyote 5.0

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/955953-cobra-jet-manifold-reworking.html

graphportcjsae_zpsa56c9a95.jpg

As far as the throttle body goes, I am more into drag racing then I am road racing and I think the twin bore would be best for you as you stated with the better throttle response. That being said the majority of the gains on the Cobra Jet Intake Manifold are due to the increased size of the throttle body area. I forget who it was at Ford Racing (I am thinking Mike Wilson was the person's name) had even said that the more they tested the Cobra Jet Intake they saw that by increasing the size of the throttle body the more power they were able to make with it. For someone with my ambitions it seems that the SCJ TB is the better route to go with and I will be taking it a step further and going with the Whipple monoblade to see what kind of power it makes. The N/A Cobra jet utilizes the SCJ TB and the 123 MAF while the Aluminator XS uses the 65 dual bore TB.

Ford is now saying March 31st before the CJ CAI is available. Has anybody found a work around to this part to support the CJ 65mm twin bore TB? Waiting until March is not a problem, however I am concerned that they are going to push out the delivery once again.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
unless i am mistaken, the twin bore and monoblade have the same size "mouth", where the intake tube would attach? if so, revolution automotive has a killer kit available with a mamouth 5" tube. i believe JLT is also working on something, but who knows when that will be available.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
it does work, but the maf diameter is undersized for the air volume this intake can move. through the grapevine, JLT is allegedly using their 2010 as the basis for the CJ version. they are just opening the maf size to around 4.5"(114mm).

There are numerous sites selling the CJ 65mm TB. One of these other CAI tubes must fit it such as the JLT the Justin referred to. I should just call a couple of these retailers and ask them what they suggest.

Tulsa, OK
Check out Revolution Auto in Maryland. They are custom making 5 inch CJ intakes. Here is a link to their facebook page where they are showing off their intake on a comp orange boss. They will also paint the tube any color you want.

https://www.facebook.com/150497078319630/photos/a.150512898318048.26468.150497078319630/646708748698458/?type=1&theater

Guys,

From experience don't reduce the air coming in to the Dual 65 TB...go with the intake from PBH which mates the inlet.

Regards,

Manuel

TMO Supporting Vendors