The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wonder why he only uses the monoblade. I thought the twin bore had better drive-ability?

steveespo said:
Already have it, running data logs today to send to Shaun at AED to get my tune. Install should be done this weekend. I have both the Ford Racing CAI and the Rev Auto 5" CAI. I don't know which to use. Also Shaun only writes tunes for the Monoblade SCJ throttle body so I had to buy that, I have a Twin 65 mm CJ that I will sell for $500 shipped if any one is interested, this is the one Ford ships on the Aluminator XS crate engine and what they spec in the CJ manifold instructions.
Steve

Steve,
Do you have any fitment recommendations/observations for the revolution cai with the tiger hood?
I understand it is a tight fit?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Haven't tried either the rev auto or Ford Racing yet but I know Ford Racing fits with the Tiger hood because I have seen them in person.
As soon as I know Shaun has my tune I plan on doing the swap over using the Ford Racing kit. I will also install the rev auto to check fit. I will be selling mine so if you haven't bought one wait and I will give you a good deal.
Steve

steveespo said:
Haven't tried either the rev auto or Ford Racing yet but I know Ford Racing fits with the Tiger hood because I have seen them in person.
As soon as I know Shaun has my tune I plan on doing the swap over using the Ford Racing kit. I will also install the rev auto to check fit. I will be selling mine so if you haven't bought one wait and I will give you a good deal.
Steve

Thanks Steve, wish we spoke sooner, stuff is in the car except tiger hood - 8 week wait but should be here this week.
btw, currently at 461/398 would like a few more before busting out of TT2. (roll bar going in & will accommodate more hp :))

lbp said:
Thanks Steve, wish we spoke sooner, stuff is in the car except tiger hood - 8 week wait but should be here this week.
btw, currently at 461/398 would like a few more before busting out of TT2. (roll bar going in & will accommodate more hp :))

461 / 398, is that just with the new manifold, throttle body, and CAI?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
lbp said:

Lee do you have the twin 65 or SCJ Oval throttle body? You have stock cams right? those are great numbers.
Steve

OK I see the throttle body is twin 65

steveespo said:
Lee do you have the twin 65 or SCJ Oval throttle body? You have stock cams right? those are great numbers.
Steve

OK I see the throttle body is twin 65

Steve,
stock cams, dual 65mm.

Sorry to bring up an old thread on you guys here, but the last post on this topic was in April and I was wondering if anyone had any long term impressions on this particular Kit. I was at Coffee and Cars in Houston this past weekend and saw an LS with a turbo. This made me start to wonder about my non LS and what I could do to it while still going the NA route. A little background on me, I'm 30, had to save up for the car and got my hands on a very lovely 2012 Kona Blue used with 2,800 miles for a really nice price, that was about 3 years ago. I do autocross, although that is not enough room to stretch the legs out so I want to start tracking it sometime but need a direction to go in albeit Driver's Ed for the track or somewhere to get started. Only work done on the car is suspension mods (lca's w/ relo brackets, sway bars, panhard bar), oil catch can, dot 4 brake fluid. Nothing too extensive but then again I haven't done anything too extensive either but would like to prepare for track days. That being said I'm sure I should just get out there and not worry about mods and just drive the car and see what I really need. Tires right off the top of my head could be more meaty.

I guess my questions for you guys are:
Any second thoughts on keeping your boss truly NA? As in, with the added power you aren't tempted or regretting just not going with Forced Induction?

How are things holding up, did the added power lead to unexpected problems or lead into other mods to keep up?

Anybody have camshaft numbers? Essential? I know some people just didn't bother.

Oh I forgot to add, I've been a long term ghost on these forums, you guys truly are amazing and the amount of knowledge in here is astounding. So thank you as well to all of you who still keep up with these threads because to people like me who love to read up on our cars, it means a lot.

El Jefe 302 said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread on you guys here, but the last post on this topic was in April and I was wondering if anyone had any long term impressions on this particular Kit. I was at Coffee and Cars in Houston this past weekend and saw an LS with a turbo. This made me start to wonder about my non LS and what I could do to it while still going the NA route. A little background on me, I'm 30, had to save up for the car and got my hands on a very lovely 2012 Kona Blue used with 2,800 miles for a really nice price, that was about 3 years ago. I do autocross, although that is not enough room to stretch the legs out so I want to start tracking it sometime but need a direction to go in albeit Driver's Ed for the track or somewhere to get started. Only work done on the car is suspension mods (lca's w/ relo brackets, sway bars, panhard bar), oil catch can, dot 4 brake fluid. Nothing too extensive but then again I haven't done anything too extensive either but would like to prepare for track days. That being said I'm sure I should just get out there and not worry about mods and just drive the car and see what I really need. Tires right off the top of my head could be more meaty.

I guess my questions for you guys are:
Any second thoughts on keeping your boss truly NA? As in, with the added power you aren't tempted or regretting just not going with Forced Induction?

How are things holding up, did the added power lead to unexpected problems or lead into other mods to keep up?

Anybody have camshaft numbers? Essential? I know some people just didn't bother.

Oh I forgot to add, I've been a long term ghost on these forums, you guys truly are amazing and the amount of knowledge in here is astounding. So thank you as well to all of you who still keep up with these threads because to people like me who love to read up on our cars, it means a lot.
Depends on what your goals are. If you just want to go fast in a straight line then mod the engine. If you want to go fast on a track take a driving lesson and then add big fat sticky tires to your car. A square 305 setup will do wonders for improving lap times.

VooDooBOSS said:
Depends on what your goals are. If you just want to go fast in a straight line then mod the engine. If you want to go fast on a track take a driving lesson and then add big fat sticky tires to your car. A square 305 setup will do wonders for improving lap times.

Thank you for the info, yeah I'll end up not doing any major work on the car and just sign up for these Driver's Ed/Performance Driving days and learn how to track first. Appreciate the response!

Let me tell you your future.
You're going to sign up for DEs, end up loving the atmosphere and the adrenaline rush; eventually getting addicted to the sport.

Then, you'll attempt to balance your funds between track time, consumables and upgrades. Eventually, realize it takes a lot of money to track a mustang. So, you'll end up searching for cheaper, track dedicated cars online at 2AM.... And that's how you'll end up in a miata. The End haha ::)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
F.D. Sako said:
You're going to sign up for DEs, end up loving the atmosphere and the adrenaline rush; eventually getting addicted to the sport.

Then, you'll attempt to balance your funds between track time, consumables and upgrades. Eventually, realize it takes a lot of money to track a mustang. So, you'll end up searching for cheaper, track dedicated cars online at 2AM.... And that's how you'll end up in a miata. The End haha ::)

MAYBE.

F.D. Sako said:

Haha, girlfriend is a rotary nerd so more than likely an RX-7 which she constantly scours the internet for trying to find one that's reasonable. I DD my Boss and every time I hop in I get a big smile on my face, I want to drive this car more and so tracking the car next seemed like natural progression. Keep in mind I'm green as can be since I haven't been to a DE yet, only a couple of autocross practice sessions. So this should be quite the experience, just missed out on an October sign up session so the next one in the area is in December, although I'll have to figure out out some way to travel for a few of these. No trailer.

And Arizona, I am right in the middle of your race car build thread, been reading up on it, not as hard core as you on your build but your car looks amazing, I'm at roll cage just got done painting and decal guy.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
F.D. Sako said:

Yes, a caged Twin Turbo Miata with a wide body kit!

302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
F.D. Sako said:

If I were younger, perhaps this scenario would ring true but for me, braking hard into a corner on a road course in a historical piece of American Muscle is the only way to go. You can put a turbo on a weed whacker but at the end of the day, it's still a weed whacker.

Back to the original thread...
Looking to add more power to my track days LS this winter:
Is the CJ intake kit a real power adder considering I am not swapping the cams or going to long tube headers?

patrickshelby said:
Back to the original thread...
Looking to add more power to my track days LS this winter:
Is the CJ intake kit a real power adder considering I am not swapping the cams or going to long tube headers?
Yes but you'll need a tune. @Shaun@AED I believe it's good for about 20 HP by itself. @steveespo @LS110 both have the CJ intake and LT headers with good results.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel