The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Suspension Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoFlaBoss said:
The sameday you were racing at PBIR, I was there too doing another type of racing. :)

LOL, only a few feet away but you guys could do a burnout untill the cords show and I would still have no idea you are even over there. My vision only goes about three feet off the side of the pavement (oh and the corner workers ;D).

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
SoFlaBoss said:
Thanks. Yes, I have a line lock. ..and the Boss had him for about 3/4 of the way down strip, then he passed me and kept going..and going. My Boss wasn't hooking well and my 60ft times were only 1.9 at best, so the Boss was only doing high 12's that day. My LCAs are actually a little higher on the axle end, so I'm planning to get some LCA relocation brackets to improve my 60ft times. I like the ones from Ford Racing (part# M-5650-A), but I'm not certain my BBR Billet LCAs will fit the brackets.

Here's my setup now.

-Steve

If you have a tendency to dump the clutch, I'd get the LCA brackets for anti-squat. If you feather it in more, I'd just leave it as-is.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
If your LCA fit in the stock location they will fit with the Ford Relo brackets.

That sort of makes sense. However, at least one person has reported that his Roush LCAs did not fit these brackets. There's not much room on these brackets where the LCA bolts to them using either hole, as they are not wide open in the rear like the stock location. However, the Roush LCAs appear to be more bulky with extra length than the my BBR billet LCAs. I searched all over the internet for these brackets paired up with my LCAs or Steeda billet LCAs, but couldn't find anything.

Grant 302 said:
If you have a tendency to dump the clutch, I'd get the LCA brackets for anti-squat. If you feather it in more, I'd just leave it as-is.

I do have a tendency to dump the clutch, and the Boss clearly squats a lot during launch. Below is a photo showing just how much it squats. The LCA relocation brackets are needed to correct the angle of the LCAs, which are slightly higher on the axle end. Thanks for the advice. :)

launch.jpg

I ordered the Ford Racing Boss 302S Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets (part# M-5650-A) from American Muscle last night for just $149.99 shipped, using a their $15 off Christmas in July coupon code.

I hope my LCAs fit them. :)

Hi,

I was told my LateModelRestorations that the GT500 upper strut mounts would work with the 5300P springs. However those mounts will not go over the OEM strut shaft. So does anyone have a fix or do I just reuse the OEM upper strut mounts? I am on-hold until I get some assistance as LateModelRestorations is closed on the weekends.

Cheers,

Howie

Howster01 said:
Hi,

I was told my LateModelRestorations that the GT500 upper strut mounts would work with the 5300P springs. However those mounts will not go over the OEM strut shaft. So does anyone have a fix or do I just reuse the OEM upper strut mounts? I am on-hold until I get some assistance as LateModelRestorations is closed on the weekends.

Cheers,

Howie

Can you measure the shaft size of the oem strut shaft ?????
Is it out of the car yet ????
regards

Hi.

Yes the strut is out, and I have looked at the situation again. What I think the original reason to go with the FR500 upper strut mounts was on a GT Mustang maybe there is a reason for this as these springs fit the newer Mustangs and the Boss 302. However since the Boss suspension is different, meaning the upper strut mounts already fit the strut fine, I think that was missed somehow in the process.

The stock Boss upper struts will work fine as the new springs fit perfectly as does the strut mount. I think I will reuse the OEM Boss mount and see what happens. What say you?

Cheers,

Howie

My new Ford Racing Boss 302S Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets (part# M-5650-A) arrived today. I’m very impressed with their quality and I can't wait to get them installed and try them out. ;D

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_7003.jpg

I'd like some more info on these. What are the benefits of relocating the LCA mounting point? Do you still use the original arms? Does it effect the ride height? Any adverse effects on ride quality, etc.?

Thanks,
Mike

BossDuke said:
I'd like some more info on these. What are the benefits of relocating the LCA mounting point? Do you still use the original arms? Does it effect the ride height? Any adverse effects on ride quality, etc.?

Thanks,
Mike
"Your vehicle's "instant center" determines it's ability to transfer weight upon acceleration for better traction. Move the instant center of your vehicle by changing your control arm angle with BMR Suspension lower control arm relocation brackets. These control arm brackets will allow you to tune in the instant center of your chassis, an essential for racing or lowered vehicles."

When you install shorter springs, you need to correct the LCA angle that you changed by lowering the vehicle.

Upper hole. I was told that's where most of the race teams are running them. They were shipped initially in the lower hole but after testing they moved them up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
fuhrius said:
Gary,

are you running your rear LCA's in the upper or lower mounting location on the bracket?

thanks.

Great thread...thanks for all the info everyone. I think I'm getting a handle on what I want to do for the track.

I inquired on this forum about Spohn Del-Sphere rod ends (specifically LCA's a while ago) but know seemed to have used them before. I've looked closer and done some research and the design seems to be very storng, providing the benefits of normal spherical rod ends with a 3m polymer (replaceable) to help with street use. Depending on how long they take to come out I may go with the Boss springs (BR). Otherwise I will likely go with the P's.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about using LCA's w/ dual spherical rod ends and panhard bar w/ the same, P (possibly BR) springs and LCA relocation brakers while keeping the stock boss dampers? Will this stiffen and allow to much movement (reduction in bind) for the stock dampers?

Has anyone use the "L" springs? They are supposed to lower the car 1.25"
What about UCA's? I was thinking about the staying consistent with the del-sphere ended ones but no one ever mentions upgrading them at all so I don't know if it's worth the expense.
last one for now, I promise...I'm planing to run 18" wheels on the track but have seen that the P springs don't fill the wheel well gap too well. Will the use of adjustable sway bar or panhard bar allow me to lower the car anymore than what the springs will do?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to road course suspension and what to do something a little different, but at the same time don;t want ot waste $$$ without getting as much info as possible.

If the 5300 BR springs aren't released by then I should have some clarity on if/when they will be released by the end of August. Yesterday while driving to and from the track I hit some large bumps on the fwy and had my rear suspension hit the bump stops. That's with the P springs. I'm not sure what L springs are, did you mean K?

Maybe Gary can comment on your other questions.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
Those are specifically for the GT500 and while they will fit they might have different spring rates due to the added weight up front.

Yes, I think I remember someone putting them on a GT once and the front looked a little higher than the rear.

5 DOT 0 said:
If the 5300 BR springs aren't released by then I should have some clarity on if/when they will be released by the end of August. Yesterday while driving to and from the track I hit some large bumps on the fwy and had my rear suspension hit the bump stops. That's with the P springs. I'm not sure what L springs are, did you mean K?

Maybe Gary can comment on your other questions.

I AM SICK OF WAITING

WHY ARE FORD RACING SO FAR BEHIND ???????

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel