The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forgestar vs Apex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Was going to order some Forgestar CF5 wheels but I think I will wait to see how the reviews come out on the Apex wheels. I bought some of our clubmembers down here, two sets of Forgestars 18x12 wheels in December and have not heard a word from them in over a month. I think they put me in the email junk pile, but its been well over three months!!! The pre-sales service was top notch but the silence since has me worried. It this normal?? I guess I better pick up the phone.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
You ordered from Forgestar directly? Sounds like you answered your own question!

Best reason to go with Forgestar is if you want custom offsets or 12" widths.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
You ordered from Forgestar directly? Sounds like you answered your own question!

Best reason to go with Forgestar is if you want custom offsets or 12" widths.
I was going with 18x11 for 315's. My buddies ZL1's will be with 335's. But the wait is putting me off Forgstars... As a track addict...paying for wheels and waiting four months to get them is too painful!!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was going with 18x11 for 315's. My buddies ZL1's will be with 335's. But the wait is putting me off Forgstars... As a track addict...paying for wheels and waiting four months to get them is too painful!!

And sorry. I got them through Vorshlag

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Was going to order some Forgestar CF5 wheels but I think I will wait to see how the reviews come out on the Apex wheels. I bought some of our clubmembers down here, two sets of Forgestars 18x12 wheels in December and have not heard a word from them in over a month. I think they put me in the email junk pile, but its been well over three months!!! The pre-sales service was top notch but the silence since has me worried. It this normal?? I guess I better pick up the phone.

The apex wheels are super nice. I just wish they made 12's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your goal getting reviews? There are plenty out there for both manufacturers and both have excellent reputations. Like Grant said the advantage of Forgestar is custom offsets. Advantage for APEX is price, no centering rings, accepts stock wheel caps, and plenty of room to use full size lug nuts without scratching up the wheel. I've been talking to APEX since Spring 2014 about making 10.5 and 11" wide 18" wheels. At this price point their wheels are of excellent quality and second to none. While I've never owned their wheels I know several TMO members that have and all were very pleased with their product. Another bonus is APEX has a bunch of track rats working there and their main focus is track wheels which is a perfect fit for TrackMustangsOnline. They are based here in NorCal and I've seen them at the track many times and most BMW's I see at the local tracks run APEX wheels.

Oh and Fabman owns two sets. ;)

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What's your goal getting reviews? There are plenty out there for both manufacturers and both have excellent reputations. Like Grant said the advantage of Forgestar is custom offsets. Advantage for APEX is price, no centering rings, accepts stock wheel caps, and plenty of room to use full size lug nuts without scratching up the wheel. I've been talking to APEX since Spring 2014 about making 10.5 and 11" wide 18" wheels. At this price point their wheels are of excellent quality and second to none. While I've never owned their wheels I know several TMO members that have and all were very pleased with their product. Another bonus is APEX has a bunch of track rats working there and their main focus is track wheels which is a perfect fit for TrackMustangsOnline. They are based here in NorCal and I've seen them at the track many times and most BMW's I see at the local tracks all run APEX wheels.

Oh and Fabman owns two sets. ;)

They are hella spiffy alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Spiffy is always good.... if I had some cash I would have been on the Apex group buy. I hope to get some big wheels in a month or two. The wait for the Forgestars has really put me off....Feeling grumpy

I bought Forgestars from Vorshlag about 4 yrs ago. Solid wheels, had them repaired twice due track damage. And couple other times due to curb rash. Still round and work well. Pretty light for the s197. I'd recommend Forgestars. Vorshlag website says they are no longer taking orders due to production delays.

I signed up for the Apex Group Buy. I have seen a lot of Apex wheels on track BMWs so I think they are quality wheels. 19x11 at ~24lbs, thats pretty stellar at ~$400 price.

Utah
I bought the Apex 18x10 set a couple years ago and have been happy with them. I recently bought a set of Forgestar F14 18x11 et 52mm and have one track day on them. A very quality set of Mustang wheels but you do have to be very patient when ordering custom offsets. For whatever reasons........., I will be selling my set of Forgestar F14 18x11 in silver and go back to the Apex wheels in silver.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I would have gotten the Apex 18x10s if I didn't already have 18s in SVE and Forgestar. Apex was just produced later. SVEs were cheap, and Forgestars were lighter.

I've considered getting 18x11 and/or 18x12 Forgestars for my next set, but since I have the CorteX offset struts a set of ET52 11s like @zajac or @Surfergeek seemed like a good choice and was going to pull the trigger on those later this year. Group buy from Apex made that a simpler choice.

Just another case of TMO helping me spend my money!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I would have gotten the Apex 18x10s if I didn't already have 18s in SVE and Forgestar. Apex was just produced later. SVEs were cheap, and Forgestars were lighter.

I've considered getting 18x11 and/or 18x12 Forgestars for my next set, but since I have the CorteX offset struts a set of ET52 11s like @zajac or @Surfergeek seemed like a good choice and was going to pull the trigger on those later this year. Group buy from Apex made that a simpler choice.

Just another case of TMO helping me spend my money!
Hard to beat those Apex Wheels.

The long wait is Forgestar's issue, not Vorshlag's. If you look at Vorshlag's website right now they've stopped accepting orders for nearly all the bigger size Forgestar wheels because the lead time has gotten ridiculously long.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The long wait is Forgestar's issue, not Vorshlag's. If you look at Vorshlag's website right now they've stopped accepting orders for nearly all the bigger size Forgestar wheels because the lead time has gotten ridiculously long.
My only grip with Vorshlag is not answering emails for over a month. I know the delays are not their doing and things happen. Just wish they would be a little more understanding to customers who are all paid up after nearly 4 months!!

I ordered a set of CF5's last year from Vorshlag and experienced the same lack of communication and unanswered emails. I had to write a snippy demanding email to get a response. The response was professional and apologetic, but late none the less. I ordered my wheels on Dec 13th, 2015 and received them on April 29th, 2016.

Agree that Vorshlag's customer service, or at least communication, is lacking. Ordered a set of 1/2" wheel spacers early last year that were back ordered. Never got them, never got an answer as to status. Finally gave up. Disappointing because they know their stuff when it comes to tracking our cars, and engineer/sell quality parts.

By comparison, recently purchased a set of rear wheel spacers for a newly acquired Ferrari 550 Maranello from a well-known (in F-car circles) parts purveyor. The spacers were not in stock and had to be manufactured to order/shipped from England. Took 3 weeks but I received them along with 2 emails in the interim updating the order status.

Last edited:
Not discrediting everyone's feedback. FWIW I feel its only fair to chime in....I have had a few interactions with Vorshlag over the phone and email on order issues, returns and product information. My overall experience has always been positive. Terry and his staff seem honest and very knowledgable about the setting up the s197.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel