The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gas Mileage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas_Dude said:
Damn I got 8 MPG on my second tank of gas. All city driving, 1/2 spirited, 1/2 tame. Got 300 miles on the odometer. Can this be normal?
If you keep driving like that it will be. ;) Was that manually calculated?

2012YellowBoss said:
JScheier said:
According to the computer, I got 4 mpg at the last track weekend. About 2 mpg less than my E36 M3 got.

Dam, that is drivin hard, my best is 5.6 last session after Miller.

At Sebring; Saturday was 97 miles and Sunday was 86 miles, total miles driven 183, I put in 29 gallons of gas and averaged 6.3 MPH.

I must not be pushing hard enough...................

I think we'll have to get use to the bad gas milage (especially with the TK), but it's worth it. I'll take bad mileage for the performance and seat of pants feel that we get anytime. So far my best tank of fuel was 17.0 MPG but that was about 75% highway and 25% street and spirited driving. The other two tanks I have been getting around 13ish MPG, but I just rolled over 600 miles and it seems to get better with the more miles that I put on it.

At least this isn't the worst I ever had. I had a 68' Chevelle SS with a 396 and I only got 2 miles to the gallon. I could pass anything but a gas station.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Not 100 miles on odometer yet and on message center I am getting 10.4 MPG in town with very "spirited" driving

98RedGT

2012 #552
302BOB said:
Less than 100 miles on #552? How can you not be driving that car more? I picked up #1886 on Wed. & have over 400 miles on it already. My wife has to pry me out of my BOSS with a screwdriver every night.LOL

I only got it 2 weeks ago, probably won't break 400 miles before it goes into storage for the winter.

5 DOT 0 said:
Dallas_Dude said:
Damn I got 8 MPG on my second tank of gas. All city driving, 1/2 spirited, 1/2 tame. Got 300 miles on the odometer. Can this be normal?
If you keep driving like that it will be. ;) Was that manually calculated?

Yes both times I calculated manually based on trip meter divided by fill up amount.

I think I must have leak or something :-\.

The computer says I am getting 9.5 mpg. Does anyone know how long of a period the MPG is calculated over? Can you put it into instantaneous mode? or a short period mode?

GA
Dallas_Dude said:
I think I must have leak or something :-\.

The computer says I am getting 9.5 mpg. Does anyone know how long of a period the MPG is calculated over? Can you put it into instantaneous mode? or a short period mode?

I know if I don't stay up in 5th and 6th as much as I can, my MPG sucks. After my FRPP tune my mileage is a little better, averaging about 14.5-15 MPG around town.

OK,

I tried to Granni-fy my driving to the extreme to see if I could match the numbers some of you guys are getting. If I reset the mileage calculator and shift through all gears, keeping the RPM under 2200, and get on the highway not exceeding 60 mph, I could get 24 mpg at best. It is very hard for me to drive like this in practice (I liken it to having a naked supermodel in front of you and trying to look away as she begs for your attention).

Doing city driving, stop in go (which is the norm for me) shifting under 2200 rpm every time (hard for me), I was able to get a best of 14 mpg. Is this how you guys are doing it? If I drive like I normally do (revving it up a bit), I can't even hit 10 mpg. Do you think I should have the dealer look at it? or is this maybe due to break in?

TMO Supporting Vendors