The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GTD Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Probably be unpopular but why would anyone spend $300k on a Mustang? Do what you want to it , it’s still a Mustang..
I have seen a lot of comments like that. But I feel like we are attached to the name a bit too much.
At the end of the day you pay for the build of the car. Calling an LFA a “Prius GTD” doesn’t change the build and performance of the car.
Also I would assume the target customer already has a garage full of or has owned several $250k cars. Ferrari makes a successor to their main car very often. There will always be 911s GT(RS). McLaren 750s is the new girl on the block after just releasing the 765LT a few years ago.
Just my thoughts. If it posts lap times faster than your normal cars in that price range then I don’t see the issue.

I have seen a lot of comments like that. But I feel like we are attached to the name a bit too much.
At the end of the day you pay for the build of the car. Calling an LFA a “Prius GTD” doesn’t change the build and performance of the car.
Also I would assume the target customer already has a garage full of or has owned several $250k cars. Ferrari makes a successor to their main car very often. There will always be 911s GT(RS). McLaren 750s is the new girl on the block after just releasing the 765LT a few years ago.
Just my thoughts. If it posts lap times faster than your normal cars in that price range then I don’t see the issue.
Like..
The Mustang Mach E?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Not that it matters to whomever can afford one, but imagine the car insurance premium on this beast.
Insurance, "You paid how much for a Mustang?"
I'm thinking what's the cost of registering, title and plates, probably get a XMAS card from the DMV after registering it.
All the more reason to buy a real race car and a trailer.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Can't talk now, I have to go down to the store and buy $1000 worth of Lottery tickets. Farley and team are insane, and it reminds me of the secretive little Team at Dodge so many years ago who dropped the Viper on a surprised public. This will have immense impact on all of Ford's products and Gearheads the World over will give the Blue Oval a standing Ovation!!

Wow, wow , wow, wow..............
Bill. That’s so last year. I did it all online with a Visa card from my sofa. Now, who is willing to explain this to my wife?? If I win, I got it.

Insurance, "You paid how much for a Mustang?"
I'm thinking what's the cost of registering, title and plates, probably get a XMAS card from the DMV after registering it.
All the more reason to buy a real race car and a trailer.

They could call that thing the Pinto Deathtrap 5000 and I would still dream about buying one! That GTD is freaking incredible and the fact that it's this halo car for Ford and Mustang is super cool..
FWIW, I was around for that fiasco, the pinto was an awesome car and dependable as an anvil. The accident that caused all the furor was when a pinto was stopped or barely moving, and was rearended by a van going about 50 mph. Keep in mind that was the days before crash structures and 20 airbags per passenger like we have now. I don;t think any small car of that vintage would've fared any better.

Last edited:

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
FWIW, I was around for that fiasco, the pinto was an awesome car and dependable as an anvil. The accident that caused all the furor was when a pinto was stopped or barely moving, and was rearended by a van going about 50 mph. Keep in mind that was the days before crash structures and 20 airbags per passenger like we have now. I don;t think any small car of that vintage would've fared any better.
Back in the day, my wife brought her 10-year-old '71 Pinto into our marriage with over 100K miles on the little 1.6L four-banger. I used it for my 18-mile daily commute for over three years. It's green paint was flaking and we draped towels over the seats to keep the disintgrating foam off my work suit. It was an ugly toad, but it started every day. The handling was surprisingly good for such an inexpensive car and the steering feel and accurcy was actually amazing! We finally gave it away to a local teen orphanage when I bought my '65 Mustang.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Back in the day, my wife brought her 10-year-old '71 Pinto into our marriage with over 100K miles on the little 1.6L four-banger. I used it for my 18-mile daily commute for over three years. It's green paint was flaking and we draped towels over the seats to keep the disintgrating foam off my work suit. It was an ugly toad, but it started every day. The handling was surprisingly good for such an inexpensive car and the steering feel and accurcy was actually amazing! We finally gave it away to a local teen orphanage when I bought my '65 Mustang.
Ha, I had a 71 Lime green Pinto sedan, 2.0L 4 speed. Bought it in '74, a beater to drive to work, my daily driver at that time was a 68 Cougar 428 Cobra Jet. Needed something with better gas mileage, I'd burn about 7 gallons of gas a day just driving to work. The Pinto was pretty good, got it cheap as it had a dead hole, burnt exhaust valve, common on the 2.0L, nobody adjusted the valves and the 2.0L valve clearance tightens up as it wears from use. One new valve and a valve job. Pretty reliable, did break a timing belt and late in life put in new valve seals. I did get rear ended on the freeway, no explosion or fire. I believe another factor in the Pinto fire was the car had just pulled out of a gas station and was also missing the gas cap. Back in the day gas caps were common street trash near gas stations. We even stocked gas caps at the gas station.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
BS1 is so right and I can vouch that the furor was almost as misguided as the Nader Corvair scare. I had a 1972 Pinto 4 speed and the vehicle would get over 30 mpg, outrun Capris ( I ordered no options at all so I could buy wheels and better tires ) and the little motor was bulletproof. A 70 Monte Carlo ran a stop sign, hit me right at the driver's door shattering the window and send glass particles across the car that the passenger side window looked like a shotgun blast had hit it. To this day I feel blessed as I only got three small cuts from the window shattering, but I did suffer a back injury that has plagued me on and off till this day.The car totaled but was repaired by an Insurance Adjuster who also owned part of a Body Shop. When I left college the little Pinto was still delivering 30-35 mpg and had over 200,000 miles. I did have my seat belt on so I am a firm believer in wearing one at all times.

I can't quote stuff on TMO anymore....I get an Oops can't do message. Bill, what was the Corvair scare back then?..........Funny, Me and Hon just passed one last week parked and She said what nice little car and I told her it was a Corvair.....not a car I would ever buy...............................now or back then.....................................

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ralph Nader's wacko complaint that the car was " Unsafe at Any Speed." That was the title of treatise and it was based on early models, and it struck a lot of Trackraticus folks as hilarious as the latter models were out winning races and even in the 1980s a C Prepared Corsair won the National Championship autocrossing. All those rapid movements and big sweepers and I never saw a single one get into any problem ----- but I did see a VW Rabbit and a Volvo Amazon flip over onto their lids!!

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO

Completely agree, but with the linage of the Mustang name (entry-level sports car); I believe that is where many will struggle with the concept. Your LFA example is perfect. Had it been branded a Toyota it would not have received quite the attention it did as a Lexus.

Had they just called it the Ford GTD, it likely would see nothing but praise as a halo car. I am excited to hear and see them in full trim testing at the 'ring. Given Multimatic's history, it will certainly be an amazing car that will be envied by all who see the precision engineering behind it.

Does anyone yet have photos of the interior? I am curious how they plan to blend the S650 interior with a race cockpit. I would imagine they will use the steering wheel and seat from the Ford GT and do a blended dash of sorts to keep their display tech in place. It would also be nice if they adopted the McLaren/Ford GT approach and had the car's interior adjusted in time with the 40mm drop to track mode.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
The Mustang GTD rides on 20-inch lightweight magnesium wheels, with carbon-ceramic brakes, a titanium exhaust, and Michelin R-compound tires measuring 325 in front and 345 in the rear. Makes my 295's look like a donut spare tire.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors