The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Which Color Wheel Would You Prefer

• Gloss Black

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Matte Black

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Flat Graphite

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin
VoodooBOSS said:
Did you order the ones that Moto and I were discussing? If so order the 13/16" Gorilla socket with the red plastic sleeve. Remove the sleeve and you'll be in business.

This guy

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-1316TWS-Impact-Protective/dp/B002803ULQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468020784&sr=8-3&keywords=gorilla+13%2F16%22+socket

Well I got the socket today, but unfortunately, it does not fit the lug holes even with the sleeve removed. It is the 13/16 and it fits the lug nuts, it's just about .5mm or so too big for the holes. I tried front and rear wheels just to be sure. :(

ChopSui said:
Well I got the socket today, but unfortunately, it does not fit the lug holes even with the sleeve removed. It is the 13/16 and it fits the lug nuts, it's just about .5mm or so too big for the holes. I tried front and rear wheels just to be sure. :(
Hmmm. I just checked mine again and it fits with room to spare. Mine is marked "13/16" Gorilla CR-V" and it fits over the Ford Racing 13/16" open lug nuts. Looks just like the one from Amazon and that's where I purchased it from. After looking at the image closely it's different from the one I have. Sorry about that. I've had it for about four years so maybe they changed it. @cloud9 recommended it to me for our Enkei wheels.

@Need4SpeedMotors are the lug holes the same on the R spec wheels as the other wheels? I have the 19x11 rear wheels for both front and back.

61djjapSzoL._SL1387_.jpg

The one in this ebay ad looks like the one I have. Check the depth of the area where the engraving is. Maybe ask them if the socket has CR-V on it and if so give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gorilla-Thin-Wall-Impact-Socket-with-Protective-Sleeve-13-16-SAE-/391458952481?hash=item5b24c59521:g:x0gAAOSwyQtVhHmz&item=391458952481&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Austin
I measured the outside diameter without the sleeve and it's 28.8mm I think yours had measured 27.something. I bet they added some thickness for strength. I know some of the reviews complained of cracking when using a lot of torque. American Muscle sells a socket that they say has an outside diameter of less then 28mm, so I might try that. The holes on the wheels are 28.25mm so I know it will fit. Just not sure about the quality.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/thinwall-socket-13-16.html

VoodooBOSS said:
Hmmm. I just checked mine again and it fits with room to spare. Mine is marked "13/16" Gorilla CR-V" and it fits over the Ford Racing 13/16" open lug nuts. Looks just like the one from Amazon and that's where I purchased it from. After looking at the image closely it's different from the one I have. Sorry about that. I've had it for about four years so maybe they changed it. @cloud9 recommended it to me for our Enkei wheels.

@Need4SpeedMotors are the lug holes the same on the R spec wheels as the other wheels? I have the 19x11 rear wheels for both front and back.

61djjapSzoL._SL1387_.jpg

The one in this ebay ad looks like the one I have. Check the depth of the area where the engraving is. Maybe ask them if the socket has CR-V on it and if so give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gorilla-Thin-Wall-Impact-Socket-with-Protective-Sleeve-13-16-SAE-/391458952481?hash=item5b24c59521:g:x0gAAOSwyQtVhHmz&item=391458952481&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

@VoodooBOSS Yes sir they are all the same.

The 19 mm socket we use and lug nuts have worked with plenty of space to spare.

VoodooBOSS said:
The idea of the larger lug nuts is to provide more contact area between the lug nut and wheel for track use. The smaller lug nuts are fine for the street and probably the track too but I’d rather use the larger ones for the track.

Have you tried these new bigger lug nuts with the Project6GR wheels yet?

AMPowerJ said:
Here are mine!

DSC_6575-Edit-XL.jpg

I saw AMPowerJ's on the main site banner and had to say something. That focking thing looks AMAZING. WOOF. Great job on the gunmetal with the red. I would have never thought it would look that good (the great detail and lighting certainly help too). NICE CAR!

stunya said:
I saw AMPowerJ's on the main site banner and had to say something. That focking thing looks AMAZING. WOOF. Great job on the gunmetal with the red. I would have never thought it would look that good (the great detail and lighting certainly help too). NICE CAR!
Agreed. Looks absolutely fantastic 8)

Thanks guys and I'm honored to have my car as the banner. I did not expect that. This wheel is a solid 10 when you factor looks, cost, weight, etc. If you don't have a set, you don't know what you are missing.

Hey guys,
I switched to 13/16 lugs and used both a standard Craftsmen 13/16 socket as well as a Craftsmen 21mm and both fit the R-Spec wheels perfectly.

I ordered and used these lugs:
Front wheels: McGard 64023 Chrome (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) 1.95" long
Rear wheels: Gorilla 61147 Acorn Bulge (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) 1.4" long

Chris M

Austin
Well I finally got those Dorman ebay lug nuts installed. I definitely need to get some studs. As you can see, the rear OEM studs aren't long enough to use all of the threads on the nut.

fQtoH9C.jpg

bugicM1.jpg

Gqjz2aC.jpg

ChopSui said:
Well I finally got those Dorman ebay lug nuts installed. I definitely need to get some studs. As you can see, the rear OEM studs aren't long enough to use all of the threads on the nut.

fQtoH9C.jpg

bugicM1.jpg

Gqjz2aC.jpg

are you getting atleast 6 turns on the rear with them?

Austin
Need4SpeedMotors said:
are you getting atleast 6 turns on the rear with them?

50Deep said:
How many threads do you have on the rear? Is because of the lug nuts or do the wheels have too thick of a pad?

I'm getting a little over 11 1/2 full turns on the nut before it's fully torqued. I haven't tried mounting one of the OEM wheels to see the difference. Just for reference, here's a pic of the N4S supplied tuner nut, the open ended nut, and the OEM nut.

qKTGAoj.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors